FM9 Firmware Version 2.01 public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple things seems to have gotten me pretty close:

• Drop PI Bias Excursion
  • Drop Amp Block input trim
  • Up the Preamp Drive
  • Increase Power Tube hardness

Still need to play with the transformer settings, but preliminary results are promising. Got an AB switch coming tomorrow, will run both units side by side and see exactly what I need to do to get the same preset to match up on the different firmwares 👍

Seeing the same thing in FW19.05 for my AxeFX III. Adjusting the PI Bias Excursion and Presence Frequency gets close, but still not the same. Something about the 6160 Block model is just... different. It's not the same amp.

Great weekend to try out this new FW. So far Macloving it. I have not noticed much difference in CPU optimization. My main preset has a Plex Delay in it and when I use some of the algorithms the CPU meter still dimes.

Favorite amp models seem to change over time based on firmware updates.

Current favs are the

100 watt plexi (great feel, touch sensitive)
Suhr Badger
Herbert -2 (dime the gain for a great midgain rock tone)
etc
etc
etc

Last edited:
Great weekend to try out this new FW. So far Macloving it. I have not noticed much difference in CPU optimization. My main preset has a Plex Delay in it and when I use some of the algorithms the CPU meter dimes still. Is there a setting or option I'm missing in getting lower CPU usage?

Favorite amp models seem to change over time based on firmware updates.

Current favs are the

100 watt plexi (great feel, touch sensitive)
Suhr Badger
Herbert -2 (dime the gain for a great midgain rock tone)
etc
etc
etc
"macloving it" lol
Superbad ^^

Has anybody else been able to confirm, other users or fractal team, about the change of reverb sound/tails sounding more tinny/metallic?

In my opinion, it’s fairly subtle and not on every reverb. Definitely not a showstopper.
Agreed...
Do we see this as a showstopper? Would it be noticeable in a mix with a hard rock band. I’m tempted to give the beta a whirl…

I am not a heavy reverb user for the most part. It seems to only be apparent on the "cloud" types so probably not something you would use in that context.

Unsuccessful update for me. My Moog expression pedal doesn't respond to reverb or delay sounds after the update, even though the reverb and delay mix knob in FM9-Edit shows it responding correctly.

Attachments

• BassVocal_20220403_193845.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
Do we see this as a showstopper? Would it be noticeable in a mix with a hard rock band. I’m tempted to give the beta a whirl…
I agree, probably not a showstopper in the context of a band; if there WERE something that changed though, and it was more desirable previously and can be fixed, why not have the better? ;)

That being said, it won’t stop me from updating; just asking the question out of curiosity :)

Agreed...

I am not a heavy reverb user for the most part. It seems to only be apparent on the "cloud" types so probably not something you would use in that context.
Got ya! I guess it wouldn’t really matter if you’re not a heavy reverb user ;)

That being said, with it being apparent only on the cloud types, well, that’s primarily what I use 97% of the time :tearsofjoy: but either way, I know it won’t be a show stopper, especially in a mix of a band. Just curious to see what the findings were according to Fractal :)

That being said, with it being apparent only on the cloud types, well, that’s primarily what I use 97% of the time :tearsofjoy: but either way, I know it won’t be a show stopper, especially in a mix of a band. Just curious to see what the findings were according to Fractal :)
Have not seen any comment from Fractal yet.

Yes, I am in the same boat....If you are a heavy P&W player as I am 99% of the time, then it's an issue..not a showstopper but still hoping for fractal to smooth this one out.

Got 2.01b loaded (along with the new editor) and it sounds amazing and behaves really well, for the most part.

One thing I have noticed is that my three switches plugged into the pedal jacks are not working. I double-checked them, and they are set to normally-open/momentary-make. If I open the calibrate pedal window, I can see the indicator for pedal position switches from full up to full down when I press them, so the hardware seems to know they are there, but for some reason they don't seem to be connecting to the stand-in switches I have set up for them. Going to try reloading the global/system SYX file and see if that changes anything.

Update:
No joy. Restoring the former global settings changed nothing....

Update again:
Tried plugging in a knob controller and testing the Pedal jacks. All 3 calibrate and work nicely, and then I noticed something. Even with the Pedal jacks set back to "Switch", the switch action was showing up on the Pedal number associated with the jack it was plugged into. I guess that's why they weren't operating my stand-in switches....

@m_brown this looks like it might be a bug.
Joe,
What are you putting thru PDL jacks 2 & 3?
Reason for my asking is because I've got 2 external NO Momentary Make stand-in switches for tuner and 'HOME' that work just fine thru jacks 2 & 3.
Have you moved your board that might have dislodged or broken contact with your switches? (Some remediate soldering is in order.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom