FM9 Firmware Version 2.01 public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so the reamp test was actually pretty illuminating. While I actually liked the sound of 2.01b over 2.00b, I actually can't stand how it feels when I play it. 2.00b has definitely a bit more volume and low/mid weight to it, but 2.01b sounds a bit more... present. If they both felt the same when playing, it'd be a slam dunk.

The surprising thing though, was the phase alignt/invert test (the "Difference" track). That... mushy fuzz sound is exactly what I hear/feel while playing 2.01b.

•EDIT• Okay scratch that. When I listen to them in headphones I can hear the junk in the 2.01b clip. 2.00b all the way home for me.

I really hope I can figure out how to dial in this new power amp stuff to sound like it did in the recent firmwares.

Last edited:
Ok so the reamp test was actually pretty illuminating. While I actually liked the sound of 2.01b over 2.00b, I actually can't stand how it feels when I play it. 2.00b has definitely a bit more volume and low/mid weight to it, but 2.01b sounds a bit more... present. If they both felt the same when playing, it'd be a slam dunk.

The surprising thing though, was the phase alignt/invert test (the "Difference" track). That... mushy fuzz sound is exactly what I hear/feel while playing 2.01b.

•EDIT• Okay scratch that. When I listen to them in headphones I can hear the junk in the 2.01b clip. 2.00b all the way home for me.

I really hope I can figure out how to dial in this new power amp stuff to sound like it did in the recent firmwares.

I could be way way off on this, but I remember seeing this regarding the axe iii v19 release:

“Fixed signal level into power amp a bit too high in 6160 models”

I wonder if perhaps this could have anything to do with it, and perhaps this is an updated, but not fully updated version of the 6160 “pre fixed” on the FM9?

I could be way way off, and don’t want to muddy the waters. Just throwing it out there in case by some chance that it could have something to do with the change. If it’s not this and someone can confirm, let me know to edit and or delete this. :)

Just got to the hotel after gigging this firmware. It was fine but my G90 wireless went out and I had to use my G50 backup.

Posted the screenshot. Are there controls that might cause this? The only weird one to me is the resonance from the speaker page, I use different setups and I find the resonance needs to be changed from FRFR to PS170 and real cabs. Might just be in my head too. :D

Placing some controls on the Perform page, like the Speaker Impedance Curve, causes a gap.

Maybe a little bug :
In the AC-20 factory preset (#20), can't change the output EQ type to anything other than 8 band Var Q and the EQ sliders don't seem to do anything

Maybe this?

Improved Phase Inverter Bias Excursion accuracy for some models (mostly non-MV types). Note: The improved PI Bias Excursion accuracy results in an increase in bias excursion in most cases. Bias excursion primarily manifests as intermodulation distortion, particularly subharmonic distortion. This produces a chunkier tone with more growl and also yields a thicker tone when rolling off the volume or playing lightly. The amount of bias excursion can be adjusted using the PI Bias Excursion control in the Advanced menu.

Due to the introduction of the CNFB, do we have to reset the amp blocks like we did on the FM3 & AX3 after Cygnus?

Last edited:
Love the sounds. Love the compressor. Love the lower DSP!

I have made it freeze once (67% DSP) and it get stuck in oscillation that built to insanely loud, ultimately required a power cycle :oops: So those were both a bit troublesome.

Both had to do with trying some of the newer reverbs, namely ones with pitch stuff, even when not using pitch. The DSP meter doesn’t go any higher when you pick them but I have a feeling that’s a bug because aside from the meter, the other symptoms remain, like slow communication.

Concerning reverb block observations: Spent quite a lot of time this morning going back and forth between newest firmware and previous beta as well as Axe FX 3 with 19,05 firmware.

Something has changed in the verbs, for me most noticeably the nimbostratus (because I use it often) and not for the better. It's not as smooth as previous firmware. Hard to describe but like tinny, metallic sounding late level. I can tame it with the late level dial but it doesnt go away but sounds better on 2.00 beta. 2.00 sounds like my Axe FX 3 on 19.05. I probably wouldn't notice much but I play with in ears so its very noticeable for me, personally, especially playing in the genre I play.

Concerning reverb block observations: Spent quite a lot of time this morning going back and forth between newest firmware and previous beta as well as Axe FX 3 with 19,05 firmware.

Something has changed in the verbs, for me most noticeably the nimbostratus (because I use it often) and not for the better. It's not as smooth as previous firmware. Hard to describe but like tinny, metallic sounding late level. I can tame it with the late level dial but it doesnt go away but sounds better on 2.00 beta. 2.00 sounds like my Axe FX 3 on 19.05. I probably wouldn't notice much but I play with in ears so its very noticeable for me, personally, especially playing in the genre I play.
I have one channel of by Reverb set to Cirrocumulus, and while I didn't compare between versions, I was listening last night based on your earlier comments.

I was hearing something going on in the the tails that was matching your description.

That seems the likely culprit. I think I'm going to need to run my FM3 5.02b side by side with my FM9 on 2.00b and see if I can get them to match.

A couple things seems to have gotten me pretty close:

• Drop PI Bias Excursion
  • Drop Amp Block input trim
  • Up the Preamp Drive
  • Increase Power Tube hardness

Still need to play with the transformer settings, but preliminary results are promising. Got an AB switch coming tomorrow, will run both units side by side and see exactly what I need to do to get the same preset to match up on the different firmwares 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: RDH
Input Drive, Input Trim or something else before the Amp block?
Input Trim on the Amp block, specifically (edited my previous post, thanks)

My preset usually sits a 3.5 Drive and 1.0 Trim, 4.0 Drive and 0.5 trim (probably a bit extreme) gets me closer, but I think the PI Bias Excursion was really the key tweak. Will know more when I get it wired up to my FM9's speakers.

I have made it freeze once (67% DSP) and it get stuck in oscillation that built to insanely loud, ultimately required a power cycle :oops:
It sounds like you inadvertently created a feedback loop, which is possible if you were using the Feedback send and return. I’ve done that several times when “exploring”.

If you didn’t use those blocks and it was a reverb then post the preset so we can look at it. Reverb shouldn’t go runaway like that.

It sounds like you inadvertently created a feedback loop, which is possible if you were using the Feedback send and return. I’ve done that several times when “exploring”.

If you didn’t use those blocks and it was a reverb then post the preset so we can look at it. Reverb shouldn’t go runaway like that.
I wasn’t using those, sadly. I’ll try to recreate it and share that.

In the meantime, anyone here could check Pegasus and Ursa Major to see if they experience any weirdness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom