FM9 Firmware Version 2.01 public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to keep up with some of the blips that have been reported.

Regarding slow backups etc., I did a full backup from the v2.0.0 beta prior to the FW update. No issues with backup speed. I was using an empty preset, but it was otherwise typical of what I've experienced (speed-wise) when using an empty preset.

The lag issues with the editor seem to be completely gone now. Overall the editor has been awesome so far. I'm pretty sure my kitchen sink presets are taking up slightly less CPU under this new FW too. Maybe 2%, give or take.

I'm still taking things in, but I haven't run into any v2.0.1 beta issues as yet. Well done & thanks!!

• Improved scene switching to prevent signal “leaking” into bypassed blocks.
  • Fix: Modifiers now update correctly on Preset/Scene changes. This fixes, for example, an issue which could cause a burst of sound when a volume pedal was used across sound changes.
Does this fix spillover issues some were having with certain reverbs/delays? When switching back to a scene/preset I would almost always get a burst of spillover tails, almost like its replaying the tail of when I was previously on the scene.

Some more data points:

Backup on previous beta, just before the update = 11:05 minutes
Backup on new 2.01 beta, just after the update = 6:54 minutes

FYI - my beta 2.01 FW update took a total of 6:00 minutes, including the turning off/on step. Inside of that, it was 3:50 minutes to transfer the data and prompt me to turn off, wait 5 seconds, and turn back on.

Note: my times can be off by +/- 2-3 seconds because I wasn’t trying to be too precise…

So far - I haven’t experienced any issues, but I’m just starting to explore. Tested a handful of my existing presets, and they all sound great.

I updated today and checked everything resetting my presets for tomorrow. Had several communication losses with Ax Edit as well as one freeze. had to reboot the Fm9 to reconnect. Mostly copy and pasting blocks. I'll dig in a little deeper when I get more time.
Sounds Amazing!

Which controls did you put on the Performance page?
Posted the screenshot. Are there controls that might cause this? The only weird one to me is the resonance from the speaker page, I use different setups and I find the resonance needs to be changed from FRFR to PS170 and real cabs. Might just be in my head too. :D

And this firmware update came on April Fools just because Fractal can do it! Lol.
It came out on April 1 because they wanted everyone to believe it was actually released, but it really wasn't, it didn't happen at all.

All it took was Cliff waving his hand. And THAT is Fractal Audio magic in action. :)

• Improved scene switching to prevent signal “leaking” into bypassed blocks.
  • Fix: Modifiers now update correctly on Preset/Scene changes. This fixes, for example, an issue which could cause a burst of sound when a volume pedal was used across sound changes.
Does this fix spillover issues some were having with certain reverbs/delays? When switching back to a scene/preset I would almost always get a burst of spillover tails, almost like its replaying the tail of when I was previously on the scene.

No, I still have that issue with this beta.

I don't know what it is about this firmware, but my main 6160 Block preset feels... wrong. Like there's more blocking distortion or fizz or whatever. It feels more like the FAS models (which I do not like at all). Gonna try rolling back to 2.00 beta and 1.0 to compare

I don't know what it is about this firmware, but my main 6160 Block preset feels... wrong. Like there's more blocking distortion or fizz or whatever. It feels more like the FAS models (which I do not like at all). Gonna try rolling back to 2.00 beta and 1.0 to compare
Not sure it would help but have you tried resetting the amp block?

yeah that was the first thing I tried. I have a sneaking suspicion it has something to do with CNFB, gonna up the FM3 to 5.02 beta and see if it sounds the same...
Ok. Yea I had to revert back due to some strange reverb block issues. Will wait and see if someone else notices and a fix comes out.

Yup, FM3 does the same thing. Now I need to see if my AxeFX III has the same behavior on 19.05 (haven't played the III in a bit since it's downstairs).

Gonna play with power tube hardness and transformer HF as chase mentioned in the 19.00 release notes, but so far I really don't like what it does to my preset.

For reference, this is the preset I've been using fine in 2.00beta (and FM3 5.01), where it feels and sounds exactly like I want. After upgrading to FM9 2.01b and FM3 5.02b, it just feels different and really... flubby, I guess? It sounds more like it's got "broken speaker" distortion, if that makes sense. I exported this from my FM3 on FW5.01.

(Yes I know it's hi gain af, it's how I like it)

Attachments

• 400_5150 Block.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
Installed the beta last night and played through a couple presets just so I could switch around and hear how things have changed as I haven’t updated my III in a couple months now. Everything is working great on my end! Quick backup (and my unit is full), normal time to update while I was on a preset with all 8 scenes because I forgot to switch to an empty one.

All switching seems good, zero issues with AxeEdit, no more lagging and no more blocks dropping out. So far I can’t find anything wrong with it.

I’m not so sure about the changes made that have come along with the power amp modeling; seemed like my presets lost some beef in the low end and had more upper mid focus. I haven’t done enough tweaking to them to really tell for sure how much I dig it and it’s certainly possibly with some tweaking I can get back to where I was, it’s just finding the right areas to tweak as just turning up the bass and dropping the mids didn’t seem to go in the direction I wanted.

Yeah I can't that Amp block to sound/feel how I want to in 2.01b, guess it's back to 2.00b... I really hope this isn't permanent across all units, this is really bummin' me out :(

Gonna try a null test between firmwares next and see what changed in the tone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom