Backup time was insane. Started about 2:40pm central time:

System file completed at 2:51 pm
Bank A: complete 3:12pm
Bank B: complete 3:33pm
Bank C: complete 3:54pm
Bank D: complete 4:17pm
User Cabs: complete 5:41 pm

That's over 3 hours!!!!

And before I see a "check your USB cable" comment, I just did a complete backup of my Axe III with the same cable using the same computer in just over 6 minutes. Keep in mind that is with an additional user cab bank.
It helps to set the unit to an <EMPTY> preset before backing up....

FW 2.01 Beta
FM9-Edit 1.00.04.

Full backup in 12 minutes, empty preset. Almost exactly twice as long as when I did it four weeks ago, using 2.0 beta with 1.00.3, also with an empty present. Same hardware, Windows 10, and USB 5.30 in both cases.

Just mentioning it for reference. Backup and flashing the new code went just fine.

Should I update FM9-Edit before the backup?

NOBODY PANIC, I'm on an empty preset!

I've never noticed much difference when using a laden preset, but most of my presets are on the low end of CPU usage anyway.

I update FM9-Edit just to get the version that works with the new release, so I end up doing the backup with the new version as well.

Wow, that took no time at all! Single digit minutes. Apart from changing the 2nd switch to Scene 2, I appear to be up and running.

It wouldn't be the new firmware since we backed up with the previous right? Anyway, I unpacked my gear and backed up and loaded the new firmware and editor and all seems good. Gigging tomorrow night!!! The tuner, the tuner is nice!

Also, is there any reason at all to backup presets 1-383? Won’t those still be there either way?
They should still be there. I don't have factory presets in my first bank and I wouldn't want to lose them so just in case something goes wonky I alway back them up.

Just have to say kudos on this update. I had very little issue with beta 2.00, totally gig worthy and had no complaints. Was getting more compliments than ever before, and everybody thought I was using a head tucked away (busy stage, opening act, etc). But already there's just a level of sheen on little things in this update that had kind of annoyed me over time.

Using OMFG9 (or whatever), I always felt like the "UI" of the buttons was a little slow when changing scenes. The audio changed exactly as expected which was what mattered, but hitting a button and seeing the "highlighted" button change seemed to drag a little. This was especially prominent when the last scene was on a different page. That's all gone now, feels immediate and just really responsive. There were occasions at rehearsal I thought I might not have hit the button at first, but I think that's gone now.

Also, the TUNER. It really is the little things, just feels so much smoother and more usable now. It worked fine before, but this is just a really standout improvement.

Great job everyone, really thrilled to have this update.

FM9 Edit is usable now and works as expected. On the previous beta my kitchen sink preset would slow Edit to a crawl. It was unresponsive and unusable. With this beta it's working fine so that's already a win!
Typically that's a symptom of a preset that's overloading the CPUs. If it's more responsive now it probably means that some optimizations in the firmware reduced the load, BUT, it's possible that, at a later point, that free CPU will be eaten up as new features are added, prior to them being optimized, so don't be surprised if the situation occurs again. It's always good to keep the CPU below 80% if possible because the CPU use climbs as the models process sound.

as far as slow backing up before upgrade goes I'd love to know how may zeros and one's (0's-1's) the bu latency shows how much data the fm9 has in it... Oh the @happy anticipation of a new fw release...

Got 2.01b loaded (along with the new editor) and it sounds amazing and behaves really well, for the most part.

One thing I have noticed is that my three switches plugged into the pedal jacks are not working. I double-checked them, and they are set to normally-open/momentary-make. If I open the calibrate pedal window, I can see the indicator for pedal position switches from full up to full down when I press them, so the hardware seems to know they are there, but for some reason they don't seem to be connecting to the stand-in switches I have set up for them. Going to try reloading the global/system SYX file and see if that changes anything.

Update:
No joy. Restoring the former global settings changed nothing....

Update again:
Tried plugging in a knob controller and testing the Pedal jacks. All 3 calibrate and work nicely, and then I noticed something. Even with the Pedal jacks set back to "Switch", the switch action was showing up on the Pedal number associated with the jack it was plugged into. I guess that's why they weren't operating my stand-in switches....

@m_brown this looks like it might be a bug.

Attachments

• FM9-220318-223805-system+gb+fc.syx
    192.6 KB · Views: 3
  • FM9-220318-223805-bank-A.syx
    3 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Backup time was insane. Started about 2:40pm central time:

System file completed at 2:51 pm
Bank A: complete 3:12pm
Bank B: complete 3:33pm
Bank C: complete 3:54pm
Bank D: complete 4:17pm
User Cabs: complete 5:41 pm

That's over 3 hours!!!!

And before I see a "check your USB cable" comment, I just did a complete backup of my Axe III with the same cable using the same computer in just over 6 minutes. Keep in mind that is with an additional user cab bank.
It was the longest backup I've experienced as well. Was out last night and didn't have a chance to put it through its paces but it does seem faster and more stable than 2.0 beta. So looking forward to working with this!

For those of you experiencing slow backups, can you please let us know anything else that might be helpful, such as whether you're using Mac or Windows, whether you updated from 1.0>2.01 or 2.0>2.01, how the FM9 USB is connected (direct, adapter, hub, etc.), and anything else that seems like it might be important.

Updated and sounds great. Best part is edits update with out a long lag and I can push a preset all the way to 80% with no issues. I had to keep presets under 70% with the last beta.

Possible bug, though it existed in the last beta too. Or maybe it's normal. Changing scenes when on the global performance page causes multiple dropouts in sound. It sounds like when you apply a change to all scenes in the block menu while a note is ringing out. Does it every time, and only on global perform page, which I would like to have open while practicing with the band and sound checks. I need to fire up my AF3 to see if it does it too, but I don't think it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom