FM9 Expression Pedal Questions

ChiroVette

Inspired
I am considering picking up an expression pedal, maybe two if needed. My questions are:

1. Can you use the same expression pedal for both Wah and volume control in different presets or scenes, or do you need two pedals, because each one can only be used for either/or?

2. Is there any reason, other than branding, to pay for the Fractal brand expression pedals? They are twice the price of the other name brands (Boss, Line 6, Korg, Zoom, etc.), which is fine if I actually have a good reason to spend the extra cash.

I have found that using other brands of expression pedal works fine, I have never owned an actual fractal pedal but I use a paint audio expression pedal (its a smaller size which is nice for my setup) and it works fine. When doing the calibration I noticed it maxed out at 97% but I don't think I need that extra 3% . It tracks and works well plugged directly into the fm9 unit.

As far as programming you can assign the pedal to control a multitude of parameters in your patches. Yes you can make it do both volume and wah but doing so on the same scene wouldnt make sense. You can assign the same pedal as a volume in one scene, wah in another, delay time in another etcetera.....

1. Yes
2. Maybe. They are quite good quality. And I have giant feet, so the BIG pedals fit me well, particularly with multiple pedals next to each other. I also use a Mission pedal for Wah because it's got the same chassis as a Dunlop wah. Any pedal you like is good as long as the impedance and taper (linear vs. audio) is appropriate.

Guys, thank you so much for the answers! My questions were really simple, and both @elvis and @Crispysonofa answered them quite nicely. @rnjscooter you literally just blew my mind with that video! I actually had to pause it at about halfway just to process what I saw so far. I am going to have to save that video of yours, and watch it another dozen times before I can even approximate understanding what you posted. Really amazing work, and I think I can learn a lot from your vid. Amazing job. Now, I need to take a minute before my head explodes.

Guys, thank you so much for the answers! My questions were really simple, and both @elvis and @Crispysonofa answered them quite nicely. @rnjscooter you literally just blew my mind with that video! I actually had to pause it at about halfway just to process what I saw so far. I am going to have to save that video of yours, and watch it another dozen times before I can even approximate understanding what you posted. Really amazing work, and I think I can learn a lot from your vid. Amazing job. Now, I need to take a minute before my head explodes.
Enjoy! And never be afraid to reach out if you have an issue. This forum ROCKS🤘🏼

I am considering picking up an expression pedal, maybe two if needed. My questions are:

1. Can you use the same expression pedal for both Wah and volume control in different presets or scenes, or do you need two pedals, because each one can only be used for either/or?

2. Is there any reason, other than branding, to pay for the Fractal brand expression pedals? They are twice the price of the other name brands (Boss, Line 6, Korg, Zoom, etc.), which is fine if I actually have a good reason to spend the extra cash.

1) Yes
2) Size and weight and feel are the things that you should consider.

1) Yes
2) Size and weight and feel are the things that you should consider.

The only problem with that is that I will likely be ordering one online, whether from Fractal's site, Amazon, or Sweetwater. Even if I walk into Sam Ash, I don't think they sell the Fractal, so I can't see being able to A/B them.

Also, I am cheap cheap cheap lol. Just ask my wife! But there is no substitute for weight and space, and the EV-2 is under 2lbs and the rocker feel is like buttuh!! Just do it!!

https://shop.fractalaudio.com/ev-2-expression-volume-pedal/

They are twice the price of the other name brands (Boss, Line 6, Korg, Zoom, etc.), which is fine if I actually have a good reason to spend the extra cash.
Actually, the price of Fractal’s pedals is in line with the high-end pedals from other brands.

If you have an expression pedal with a toe switch, like some of the Mission pedals, you can use it for wah and volume even in the same scene. Connect the toe switch output to the Pedal 2 jack on the FM9, assign the bypass functions on the wah and the volume block to be controlled by Pedal 2, and reverse the min/max on one of them so it turns off when the other turns on. This assumes you are ok with the volume being 100% when you use the wah, but that suits most songs where you would use both pedals anyway. Also, I find it a bit fiddly trying to control volume with a Crybaby style pedal; the travel feels too short for precise adjustments.

Yeah I prefer a longer pedal sweep. You can always shorten it if needed in the modifier settings by offsetting the curve a bit, but there's no way to make a short pedal sweep longer.

Okay so I ended up ordering the Fractal pedal. I went with the larger one, I think it's the EV-1. I have plenty of TRS cables, but they are all for my PA system, and even though I have some to spare, I would really prefer not to use a 10' or 25' TRS as a permanent solution. What do you guys recommend for a size and brand of TRS cables for use exclusively with the EV-1?

The pedal arrives tomorrow, but I'm not sure if it will be in time to use it in my show tomorrow. But if it is in time, I can always use a 25' cable temporarily until I can pick up a way smaller one.

Now, assuming it does come in time, I just have to learn how to hook it up! lol I went to the manual, but I'm still not sure I get how they say to connect it, though I do see the menu options for calibration. I will check out some Youtube vids, in case it does come in time to use tomorrow.

Edit: OMG I'm an idiot. I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out where an expression pedal plugged in, because when looking at the back of my FM9, swear to God, I thought it said POL1 and POL2, and had no idea what that meant. In my defense, with my reading glasses on it is clear as day. 🤣

Last edited:
I use the EV1 and love how sturdy it is. Really any TRS cable will work. It's not carrying audio. Your only consideration is length and whether you'd prefer right angle or straight jacks.

Below - This works for me, with this pedal placement - into PDL1. (And no, I had no idea how dusty my FM9 was until I took this picture.)

1709324463419.png

I had no idea how dusty my FM9 was until I took this picture.

Dude! Dust it off an play a little.

Seriously, yeah that length you have would be fine. 19" is maybe a little long, but in my experience, having a little extra slack in short cables has always served me will. lol I just don't want 25' of rolled up spaghetti wire on the floor in front of me. But for tomorrow, assuming the pedal comes in time, then spaghetti wire it is! Like you said, it won't hurt anything.

Now here is a question, I think I know the answer to. Assuming the pedal does come early enough tomorrow, if just for this show I want to use it as nothing more than a guitar volume pedal, can I just go from the out of the pedal into the FM9 then back again into the pedal? Or am I looking at this wrong? I have to check a few videos and the manual, because I'm not sure about this.

Eventually I want to use it for wah, and other bonafide expression-pedal uses, but for tomorrow, I want to keep it really simple. I also read in the manual or somewhere that you have to be careful with volume, because sometimes it isn't just up and down with the source (guitar) but that you can easily end up having it control the preset and effects volume; but just output volume, is all I want to do tomorrow. If I use it at all, I want it to be exceedingly simple. Just overall volume up, down, and off.

I will look it up now, in case nobody is around to answer this. I think there are some Fractal videos on this, and I know it's covered in the manual.

Wow, I had no idea it could do this... so, it can work as a conventional analog volume pedal - which sounds like all you are after for now. Using normal guitar cables (TS) plug guitar into Volume In, run Volume Out to the Input 1 of FM9, and you're good to go - it now controls the input level of your guitar into the FM9 just like Volume pedals from 30 years ago do.
See this (section "EV-1 AS AN ANALOG VOLUME PEDAL"):
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/ev-1/EV-1_Product-Guide.PDF

Later when you get the TRS cable, you can do a lot of expression stuff - make it control almost anything in the FM9. That's when you use the Expression and PDL1 jacks.

@geetarplayer I was totally hoping it would be something that simple for just basic up/down volume. I really didn't want to get involved in trying to calibrate it so last minute. I think that link you posted is probably going to come in paper form with the EV-1 tomorrow. Because I didn't see that in the manual for the FM9. Thanks for the post!

@geetarplayer I was totally hoping it would be something that simple for just basic up/down volume. I really didn't want to get involved in trying to calibrate it so last minute. I think that link you posted is probably going to come in paper form with the EV-1 tomorrow. Because I didn't see that in the manual for the FM9. Thanks for the post!
Good luck!

Not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this question. I was wondering, how can I use an expression pedal connected to the FM9 for MIDI-controlling an external pedal's expression function? E.g. when using a Meris Enzo in the Out3 -> In3 loop I would like to control the Enzo’s expression function (Midi CC#4) within a certain preset or scene.

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom