FM9-Edit 1.01.07 (to support fw 4.01 public beta 2)

Michael Pickens

FAS Software Engineer
Fractal Audio Systems
FM9-Edit 1.01.07 provides support for FM9 firmware 4.01 public beta 2.

The editor is available below:

OSX
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/FM9-Edit/FM9-Edit-OSSX_v1p01p07.dmg

Win64
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/FM9-Edit/FM9-Edit-Win-v1p01p07.exe

Win32
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/FM9-Edit/FM9-Edit-Win32-v1p01p07.exe

RELEASE NOTES

VERSION 1.01.07
February 22, 2023

Current FM9 Firmware Version: 4.00

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
  • Mac version requires OS version 10.7 or newer
  • Windows version requires Windows 7 or newer
  • Minimum firmware version 3.00

NEW IN THIS VERSION

* Support for firmware 4.01 public beta 2
o Added DRIVE block layout for "OD-One Overdrive"
o Updated layouts for COMPRESSOR, GATE, and INPUT blocks.

* Modifications to support Fractal-Bot version 3.0.15 (an internal editor version of Fractal-Bot). Corrected the embedded Fractal-Bot panel "Transmit All Banks File" which incorrectly gave the error "Please select a destination.".

Corrected the embedded Fractal-Bot panel "Transmit All Banks File" which incorrectly gave the error "Please select a destination.".
Yay! That would pop-up occasionally and confuse me no end, and leave me wondering what I’d clicked that caused it. I never even considered it was a bug. :)

I'm messing with @2112's RAGDOLL STEREO FW4 preset and, when watching the trace for Filter 1, there are spurious spikes and dropouts occurring in the display. They don't occur every time I hit a note, but they do occur pretty often.

I don't remember ever seeing those occur. They're not audible. I'm on v4.01b2 on a FM9 Turbo.

The editor doesn't have an entry for Startup Preset in the Setup menu yet.

I'm new to the FM9. There's no mention of an update when I look on the Editor. Should I hold off on this and the FM9 updates until the Beta period is ended?

The editor doesn't have an entry for Startup Preset in the Setup menu yet.
Not regards the editor...but from front panel one can select a startup preset, just so they remember that if they use a default offset to set the startup preset, to choose the original preset (not the offset) as the startup preset.

Might be desirable to link the preset offset with the startup preset feature...:)

I'm new to the FM9. There's no mention of an update when I look on the Editor. Should I hold off on this and the FM9 updates until the Beta period is ended?
@gitapik:

Check FM9-Edit "About" to determine what editor you currently own. If perhaps you've got a previous OS editor, you'll need to upgrade your editor before upgrading to 4.01 beta 2.

You can wait or not to upgrade to beta 2, or wait until 4.01 final is released. But, you'll need to upgrade to the latest editor before you can do beta 2 or later.

Not regards the editor...but from front panel one can select a startup preset, just so they remember that if they use a default offset to set the startup preset, to choose the original preset (not the offset) as the startup preset.

Might be desirable to link the preset offset with the startup preset feature...:)
I tested this for someone reporting an issue and the PC Offset and Startup Preset work in conjunction.

If you've experienced something different, please provide more details.

The editor will not inform you of beta firmwares or beta editor versions.

You have to find those on the forum.

Whether or not you should load the beta is up to you and your experience.

The current beta has been very stable and I'm not aware of any outstanding issues.

I tested this for someone reporting an issue and the PC Offset and Startup Preset work in conjunction.

If you've experienced something different, please provide more details.
Sure. My PC Offset is set to 1. My StartUp preset is set to 385. My desired startup preset is 386. PC Offset produces a startup preset of 386.

If my Startup Preset was set to 386, the actual startup preset would be 387. 385 is not in use, and is blank. 385 was deliberately set as blank so as to provide a delineation between factory and user presets.

It seems that StartUp Preset disregards PC Offset, though PC Offset compensates with a 1+ number shift.

Last edited:
Sure. my PC Offset is set to 1. My StartUp preset is set to 385. My desired startup preset is 386. This produces a startup preset of 386.

If my Startup Preset was set to 386, the actual startup preset would be 387. 385 is not in use, and is blank. 385 was deliberately set as blank so as to provide a delineation between factory and user presets.
I tested specifically with the offset set at 0 and 1. My Startup Preset is 401 starting from 0. When I change Offset to 1 it starts on 402...

So I don't have the issue BUT I started using it under a private beta...

@m_brown - this is the 2nd case I've seen on the public beta reporting this. I don't experience it on my Turbo. I'll test on the standard FM9 to see if anything is different.

I tested specifically with the offset set at 0 and 1. My Startup Preset is 401 starting from 0. When I change Offset to 1 it starts on 402...

So I don't have the issue BUT I started using it under a private beta...

@m_brown - this is the 2nd case I've seen on the public beta reporting this. I don't experience it on my Turbo. I'll test on the standard FM9 to see if anything is different.
Your FM9 Turbo displays the same behavior as my FM9. If your desired startup preset is 401 starting from 000, you don't need PC Offset.

The only reason for my use of PC Offset is so factory presets begin with 001. It seems that StartUp Preset (at least for my FM9) selects the preset without recognizing PC Offset, or possibly, PC Offset's command coding follows StartUp Preset, not the other way around as it's listed front panel (top>bottom).

Your FM9 Turbo displays the same behavior as my FM9. If your desired startup preset is 401 starting from 000, you don't need PC Offset.

The only reason for my use of PC Offset is so factory presets begin with 001. It seems that StartUp Preset (at least for my FM9) selects the preset without recognizing PC Offset, or possibly, PC Offset's command coding follows StartUp Preset, not the other way around as it's listed front panel (top>bottom).
With Startup Preset at 401 and PC Offset set to 0, it starts at 401. With Startup Preset still set to 401 and PC Offset set to 1, it starts at 402.

This is not the same as what you're describing.

With Startup Preset at 401 and PC Offset set to 0, it starts at 401. With Startup Preset still set to 401 and PC Offset set to 1, it starts at 402.

This is not the same as what you're describing.
Uh, are you sure? When my Startup Preset is 385,and my Offset set at 0, my FM9 starts at 385. When my offset is set for 1, although the startup preset is 385, starts at 386, my desired preset. Plz re-read what I previously wrote, here:

Sure. My PC Offset is set to 1. My StartUp preset is set to 385. My desired startup preset is 386. PC Offset produces a startup preset of 386.

It seems that StartUp Preset disregards PC Offset, though PC Offset compensates with a 1+ number shift.
The reason for my suggesting it was a command code sequence was because (it seems) that the FM9 recognizes the startup preset function first, then utilizes the PC offset function, adding +1 then, instead of modifying a startup preset prior.

I think where we might be confused is if you're thinking of this in a math equation form, where 1 + x = x +1. Theoretically it should, but the coding variables may not work in the same order they're written in coding sequence.

Although not a programmer myself, my thought was that when the FM9 code was written, it's written vertically, with certain priority functions. If the code said (for example): "Perform StartUp Preset Locator" first, it is likely that "Add +1 as PC Offset when Z=True" was after the previous function.

If Z were false, Start Preset Locator would still return the inputed value.

Last edited:
Uh, are you sure? When my Startup Preset is 385,and my Offset set at 0, my FM9 starts at 385. When my offset is set for 1, although the startup preset is 385, starts at 386, my desired preset. Plz re-read what I previously wrote, here:
I'm 100% sure, which is why I wrote it... I tested it last week because someone else reported the same thing you are reporting.

I even tested further by changing some other related settings like PC Mapping and Midi PC Offset.

Curious if you want to test something?

Set your Display Offset to 0.

Adjust your Startup Preset to some other value like 300.

Restart and confirm that it started on 300.

Change Display Offset to 1 and restart.

Does it work correctly?

I'll do more testing tonight.

I think I was still using the private beta when I tested before. I have the public beta installed now.

I'm 100% sure, which is why I wrote it... I tested it last week because someone else reported the same thing you are reporting.

I even tested further by changing some other related settings like PC Mapping and Midi PC Offset.

Curious if you want to test something?

Set your Display Offset to 0.

Adjust your Startup Preset to some other value like 300.

Restart and confirm that it started on 300.

Change Display Offset to 1 and restart.

Does it work correctly?

I'll do more testing tonight.

I think I was still using the private beta when I tested before. I have the public beta installed now.
Interesting. Will test by setting PC Offset to 0 and setting StartUp Preset to 385.

In theory, this should set the 1st factory preset to 000. And the 1st user preset to 384.

The point of my discussion is that my factory presets (my pref) are 001 >, which requires PC Offset = 1.

And that my user presets begin with preset #386. If the startup preset is selected as 385, offset will bump the startup preset to 386, where, thanks, at least for me, is where it's supposed to be.

Interesting. Will test by setting PC Offset to 0 and setting StartUp Preset to 385.

In theory, this should set the 1st factory preset to 000. And the 1st user preset to 384.

The point of my discussion is that my factory presets (my pref) are 001 >, which requires PC Offset = 1.

And that my user presets begin with preset #386. If the startup preset is selected as 385, offset will bump the startup preset to 386, where, thanks, at least for me, is where it's supposed to be.
Make sure you're setting Display Offset.

MIDI PC Offset is not the same thing.

I've just tested 2 different FM9 units, one is Turbo and the other is not.

Both units show correct behavior: Startup Preset is the correct preset regardless of Display Offset (it's correctly adjusted).

Make sure you're setting Display Offset.

MIDI PC Offset is not the same thing.

I've just tested 2 different FM9 units, one is Turbo and the other is not.

Both units show correct behavior: Startup Preset is the correct preset regardless of Display Offset (it's correctly adjusted).
Display Offset is the correct phrase. Was repeating PC Offset from someone else's post.

Just tested Display Offset = 0. Startup Preset shifted down one preset = 385. The factory 1st preset is now 000.

That's what your FM9 & FM9 Turbo does. Like I said before. I'm not going to waste my time with this anymore. G' night.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom