FM9 Case?

Very disappointed in the Studio Slips bag! The photos posted above give a very different impression of the product than having it in hand! I expected that the double padding would be on par with the solid quarter inch or so of padding on my Mono bag. Instead, the "double" padding amounts what feels like a sixteenth at most. I expected better for the money. At this point, I'm not even sure I'm going to use it.
Agree with you.
Good idea but poor choice of material and not so great production.

I'm using this Pedaltrain "Premium Soft Case" for my FM9, Mission Aero expression pedal, power cable, two guitar cables, HX Stomp backup rig, and HX stomp power supply. I received it as a gift, and I don't know which model it is for sure. Sweetwater has quite a few variations of this bag:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=pedaltrain+premium+soft+case

I also have the Gator GK-2110 bag, but this is much better. The Pedaltrain case seems to have about twice the thickness of padding on the inside, and the outer pouches on the case are also padded.

I think this might be the model: https://pedaltrain.com/collections/cases/products/pt-m20-psc-x

My case is 23" long including the handle, and about 12" wide in the back including the handle. It's about 7.5" deep from the front of the large pouch to the back.
Killer

I'm using this Pedaltrain "Premium Soft Case" for my FM9, Mission Aero expression pedal, power cable, two guitar cables, HX Stomp backup rig, and HX stomp power supply. I received it as a gift, and I don't know which model it is for sure. Sweetwater has quite a few variations of this bag:

I also have the Gator GK-2110 bag, but this is much better. The Pedaltrain case seems to have about twice the thickness of padding on the inside, and the outer pouches on the case are also padded.

I think this might be the model: https://pedaltrain.com/collections/cases/products/pt-m20-psc-x

My case is 23" long including the handle, and about 12" wide in the back including the handle. It's about 7.5" deep from the front of the large pouch to the back.
How tight is the fit? Looks super snug (almost too snug)

I do the same thing with my Ax8. Targus rolling laptop bag and it works killller. room for two Ev-2's, and cables..fits like a glove to in there...Soooo im looking to go the same route with the FM9..i dont want a spininer, just one with two wheels and a handle.
I did buy the skyline this week - has a 5 year warranty and appears to be well made for the money ($45). It does have the spinner wheels that you don't want, but for me they spin smooth and easy. I personally see them as a bonus.

Skyline 21" Spinner Carry On Suitcase - Gray

Do the top black switches get pressed down when the top lid is closed? Looks very cool.

How tight is the fit? Looks super snug (almost too snug)
It's very snug. The inside of the large compartment isn't perfectly rectangular, and is slightly tapered inward at the top. The internal padding is great, though, so I think it's well protected.

Do the top black switches get pressed down when the top lid is closed? Looks very cool.
That's a great question! I hadn't thought about that. I just checked it, and as I closed the bag, I could hear at least one of the black switches engaging. I'm not sure if I like that! I tried turning the board around the other direction, and I could hear the black dial being pressed when I closed the bag. I wonder if it will be bad for those buttons to be pressed while the FM9 is in the case.

Last edited:
Very disappointed in the Studio Slips bag! The photos posted above give a very different impression of the product than having it in hand! I expected that the double padding would be on par with the solid quarter inch or so of padding on my Mono bag. Instead, the "double" padding amounts what feels like a sixteenth at most. I expected better for the money. At this point, I'm not even sure I'm going to use it.
So sorry to hear this! We like our customers to be happy and if you're not satisfied with the product, shoot us an email and as long as the gig bag is in reasonably new shape, you can send it back and we'll give you a refund.

BTW, the photos posted above have not been altered in any way. Our double padding is 5/8" thick at rest and it's a polyester fill which won't degrade or disintegrate over time like foam but it does squish down under weight. It always springs back up though!

So sorry to hear this! We like our customers to be happy and if you're not satisfied with the product, shoot us an email and as long as the gig bag is in reasonably new shape, you can send it back and we'll give you a refund.

BTW, the photos posted above have not been altered in any way. Our double padding is 5/8" thick at rest and it's a polyester fill which won't degrade or disintegrate over time like foam but it does squish down under weight. It always springs back up though!
I actually purchased two bags from StudioSlips at the same time: an FM9 'deluxe' bag and an FM3 bag. As you know FM9 deluxe bag was specified by your company to have double padding on both the main compartment and the front pocket. I ordered the FM3 bag to have double padding in the main compartment.

Both bags have the same thickness of padding in the main compartment. Measured with calipers, without compressing the material at all, the wall of the bag, including the shell and the lining, is about 0.35". 5/8" of padding would be 0.625"

I suppose it is possible, although somewhat farfetched, that both bags were manufactured with single padding in error. I will contact you directly.

Edit: Studio Slips acknowledged that the bags I received were manufactured incorrectly, and they remade them with the correct amount of padding. Their customer service is outstanding.

Although I would still consider the bags to be "light duty", it was a significant improvement.

Last edited:
I actually purchased two bags from StudioSlips at the same time: an FM9 'deluxe' bag and an FM3 bag. As you know FM9 deluxe bag was specified by your company to have double padding on both the main compartment and the front pocket. I ordered the FM3 bag to have double padding in the main compartment.

Both bags have the same thickness of padding in the main compartment. Measured with calipers, without compressing the material at all, the wall of the bag, including the shell and the lining, is about 0.35". 5/8" of padding would be 0.625"

I suppose it is possible, although somewhat farfetched, that both bags were manufactured with single padding in error. I will contact you directly.
Please keep us posted on how it goes with them. I was hoping their cases would have ample padding.

I ordered the deluxe case from Studio Slips as well. It was delivered yesterday. Here's what the inside of mine looks like. Appears to be well made, but I agree with others in that I wouldn't have bought it at this price if I saw it in person. I'm going to keep it either way, but for comparison's sake, the form fitting SKB hard case I bought for my Kemper Stage was the same price and it certainly offers much more protection than this one. Too bad there isn't a form fit case out there from SKB yet. Must not be enough interest in one.

PXL_20211021_221507525.jpgPXL_20211021_221459346.jpgPXL_20211021_221418320.jpg

I ordered the deluxe case from Studio Slips as well. It was delivered yesterday. Here's what the inside of mine looks like. Appears to be well made, but I agree with others in that I wouldn't have bought it at this price if I saw it in person. I'm going to keep it either way, but for comparison's sake, the form fitting SKB hard case I bought for my Kemper Stage was the same price and it certainly offers much more protection than this one. Too bad there isn't a form fit case out there from SKB yet. Must not be enough interest in one.

View attachment 90602View attachment 90603View attachment 90604
Yeah, it’s pretty but I don’t think that would cut it. Not for traveling. I like Studio Slips for covering amps so they don’t get dusty but that’s not what I need for the FM9. Not to mention, most amps are designed to not have delicate parts protruding the way a model or does.

My buddy bought the gator case made for the helix with the wheels. Case is a bit big but he said some foam will fix that. He is very happy

I'm sorry to see that. I was really hoping for a better product.

My buddy bought the gator case made for the helix with the wheels. Case is a bit big but he said some foam will fix that. He is very happy
I have this case, and love it. I’ve airlines with it multiple times without issues. I’ve used it with the FM9, with some extra padding (some clothes rolled up to fill the gaps) and also with an FM3 built onto a 12x20 board that fits just right with room for a nice long power cable.

Please keep us posted on how it goes with them. I was hoping their cases would have ample padding.
I just heard from StudioSlips, and they have confirmed that the two cases I received were, in fact, not made correctly. They are going to manufacture replacements, and I'll keep you all informed. So far, I can't fault their response at all.

Edit: Studio Slips did remake them with the correct amount of padding. Their customer service is outstanding.

Although I would still consider the bags to be "light duty", it was a significant improvement.

Last edited:
I just heard from StudioSlips, and they have confirmed that the two cases I received were, in fact, not made correctly. They are going to manufacture replacements, and I'll keep you all informed. So far, I can't fault their response at all.
That's very encouraging news! I was thinking about getting an FM3 case as well as an FM9 case from them, but when I saw the pictures and read about the lack of padding, I changed my mind. Let us know what you think of the new cases when you get them.

Back
Top Bottom