FM3 ..... USB 2 Type B Port on the back of the FM3 ......No Power Provided ** UPDATED **

Is it possible to power controllers other than FC-6/12 from the FASLink II port?

If yes - what voltage is available, with what load (in mA) and on which pins of the FASLink socket?

So for clarity is a computer connected to a USB A or B on the FM3 as the manual shows it connecting to the usb A .
However if the are comparing the FM3 usb connection as a printer for example shouldn't we be using the usb B connection.

Just want to get the right cables ready for order for my future purchase.
G \../

@Karl Houseknecht,
What are your criteria for distinguishing between armchair engineers and the "real" ones? I really wonder how you can distinguish it based on two lines of someone's post ??

By definition the USB-A port can deliver at least 500mW/100mA to an attached device, e.g. a thumb drive. If that's enough to power a Morningstar FC then go do it. Just don't expect the FM3 to receive any MIDI command through that connection. That still requires a MIDI cable running from the FC MIDI out to the FM3 MIDI in.
500mv is only .1 volt
Any communication over USB requires 5 volts

correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve never seen anything less than 5volts on any usb port, device or hub, for communication

Im using the USB port for powering boss WL-20 on kemper stage , hope the same method With FM3

@Karl Houseknecht,
What are your criteria for distinguishing between armchair engineers and the "real" ones? I really wonder how you can distinguish it based on two lines of someone's post ??

Just a little lighthearted humor poking fun at all those who think they know the FM3 architecture inside and out and are making their pronouncements about what is wrong and what is right. And then Cliff coming in and telling them exactly why they're wrong.

Clearly Cliff is the engineer of reference for this unit. Anyone else, regardless of their actual engineering prowess outside of the FM3, is just an armchair engineer when it comes to this unit.

Just a little lighthearted humor poking fun at all those who think they know the FM3 architecture inside and out and are making their pronouncements about what is wrong and what is right. And then Cliff coming in and telling them exactly why they're wrong.

Clearly Cliff is the engineer of reference for this unit. Anyone else, regardless of their actual engineering prowess outside of the FM3, is just an armchair engineer when it comes to this unit.
Should know better than to try to have fun with nerds. :blush:

Hi all ! I re-emailed FAS support and got the following:-

----------
Fractal Audio Sales
6:51 AM (4 hours ago)
to me

That is correct. [ Neither USB Port ] provides power.
----------

Hopefully this is something that will be "activated" in a future FW as it will make connecting things like a Morningstar MC6 or MC8 much less cumbersome.

Ben

Hi all ! I re-emailed FAS support and got the following:-

----------
Fractal Audio Sales
6:51 AM (4 hours ago)
to me

That is correct. [ Neither USB Port ] provides power.
----------

Hopefully this is something that will be "activated" in a future FW as it will make connecting things like a Morningstar MC6 or MC8 much less cumbersome.

Ben
Cliff replied earlier in the thread:
The USB-A port can provide power if enabled. At this point the port is disabled and reserved for future expansion.

Back
Top Bottom