FM3 Repair

Just to give you an update on my most recent USB failure -- Fractal contacted me yesterday to say they've received and bench-checked my unit. Once again, they'll have to send it to a third-party for repair and it'll take the third-party 6 to 8 weeks to swap-out the chip. Just like last time, the cost of bench-checking and repair will be $90 and I'm responsible for shipping both to and from Fractal. It is what it is.

Are you being given the option to send to a third party repair company? I wish this option had been available and given to me earlier this year. Maybe it wasn’t possible for my specific repair. I was willing to wait for the cheaper repair cost.

Are you being given the option to send to a third party repair company? I wish this option had been available and given to me earlier this year. Maybe it wasn’t possible for my specific repair. I was willing to wait for the cheaper repair cost.
No option offered. Besides, for me, it's not so much the cost as being without my unit for 2 or 3 months in a year.

My USB port died a couple of months ago. G66 use a repair shop in the UK, Glasgow, which is 30 mins from me. This is the second time I have visited him (last time was for an encoder issue). On both occasions the repair was covered under warranty, and was carried out same day - drop off and collect a couple of hours later. The encoder issue required the upper board to be replaced (and possibly the screen), the USB issue was due to a burned out USB controller and required the main board to be swapped out. It was nice to have both of these replaced for free under warranty. My unit was one of the original no-headphone units. I'm told that technically it could now have a headphone port installed as the new main board supports it, but he didn't have the parts available to install the headphone jack.

No option offered. Besides, for me, it's not so much the cost as being without my unit for 2 or 3 months in a year.
Did you get any explanation why there is such a long repair time? I really don’t understand why they can’t do these repairs in house. I saw you’re from here in the States. Actually not so far from me. Is America this F’d with obtaining what should be common electronic components? My FM3 turned 2 years old last month. These reports are a bit disturbing and disappointing. Hell, I have a basic hot air surface mount rework station. If I was given the proper parts and schematic I would be willing to do these repairs. It’s all bizarre to me, but the last 3 years have been the strangest experience I could have ever dreamed of witnessing. And I’ve have taken large amounts of LSD at one time in my life.😝

If you don’t mind me asking, was your FM3 outside of its extended warranty period if you had an extended warranty at all?

Did you get any explanation why there is such a long repair time? I really don’t understand why they can’t do these repairs in house. I saw you’re from here in the States. Actually not so far from me. Is America this F’d with obtaining what should be common electronic components? My FM3 turned 2 years old last month. These reports are a bit disturbing and disappointing. Hell, I have a basic hot air surface mount rework station. If I was given the proper parts and schematic I would be willing to do these repairs. It’s all bizarre to me, but the last 3 years have been the strangest experience I could have ever dreamed of witnessing. And I’ve have taken large amounts of LSD at one time in my life.😝

If you don’t mind me asking, was your FM3 outside of its extended warranty period if you had an extended warranty at all?
Actually, just to be clear, I have an AxeFX III. I'm dealing with a similar USB problem, so I jumped into this thread. Regarding the warranty, it had already expired when my first failure occurred. If I could do it all over again, I'd probably pay for the extended warranty -- not sure though, because I'd still have to pay for shipping and the shipping costs have been more than the repair.

Just my opinion, but I don't fault Fractal for outsourcing some repair work. It keeps their costs down and we benefit from that.

Just my opinion, but I don't fault Fractal for outsourcing some repair work. It keeps their costs down and we benefit from that.
I was mainly ranting one night late. Although, I would have to question the cost vs. turn around time aspect. But it is all contingent on what is the main reason for such a long turn around time. Is it lack of parts, too many repairs to handle quickly, etc.? I have always been a person willing to pay a premium for convenience. Although from the repair costs being reported it doesn’t seem to be much of a customer benefit. Anyway, I will defend Fractal very easily. I love that they’re doing things that best benefit American made products and business. Maybe this is the price to pay (money and philosophically) for that attitude in todays corrupt global economy.

Oh and the products kicks ass!

My grievance w/the third party repair is the lack of transparency in price… ie the part. The quotes I received for a usb board don’t resemble the quotes I’ve seen on this forum… and theoretically the parts should be coming from the same source?

Any third party pretty much has leverage to charge whatever they want in a different country because the price of shipping across the border is astronomical if you are insuring the box for it’s true value.

As I’ve learned of late, repair services get awfully offended even just questioning some substantiation for high price of replacement parts.

Ie, my dishwasher needed a part, and the actual price for me to order the part was $20 usd. The price quoted by the repair person was $170cdn + 13% tax. It still worked out to a markup of price by a factor of 6. When pushed, they stated it was because they had to provide a warranty for the service. Even if I did order the part myself, they would charge a much higher service rate.

In my case of third party fractal repair, I was somewhat suspicious of the price quoted of the replacement board. They wanted me to etransfer the payment to their email account w/o even inspecting my device first. They diagnosed the problem beforehand. They would not let me pay by visa which at least would offer some protection if something went awry.

Sean Meredith-Jones

In my case of third party fractal repair, I was somewhat suspicious of the price quoted of the replacement board. They wanted me to etransfer the payment to their email account w/o even inspecting my device first. They diagnosed the problem beforehand. They would not let me pay by visa which at least would offer some protection if something went awry.

Sean Meredith-Jones
Yep, that all sounds suspicious to me too. I had a different experience. On both occasions, I sent the unit to Fractal and they charged a $40 bench fee to diagnose the problem -- a fair price I think. Then, they contacted me for approval of a $50 repair by the third-party -- again, it seems like a fair price. For me, the downside (cost-wise) is that it costs $90 just to ship the unit to Fractal. Return shipping the first time was only $31 because Fractal gets much better rates that I do as an individual shipping a package via UPS. Hey Fractal, can you find a way for the customer to get your shipping rate on a return?!

Part of the reason that Fractal's shipping rates are lower is because they self-insure. That means that Fractal bears the risk -- not UPS. Shipping gets a lot cheaper when you're not paying insurance. ;)

Yep, that all sounds suspicious to me too. I had a different experience. On both occasions, I sent the unit to Fractal and they charged a $40 bench fee to diagnose the problem -- a fair price I think. Then, they contacted me for approval of a $50 repair by the third-party -- again, it seems like a fair price. For me, the downside (cost-wise) is that it costs $90 just to ship the unit to Fractal. Return shipping the first time was only $31 because Fractal gets much better rates that I do as an individual shipping a package via UPS. Hey Fractal, can you find a way for the customer to get your shipping rate on a return?!
Well see these prices are fair. I guess the internet succeeds again on confusing things. I was baffled by the claims of $500 to $600 USB repairs and 6 to 8 week turn around times. Yeah, shipping costs can suck lately if it’s not part of a system.

Part of the reason that Fractal's shipping rates are lower is because they self-insure. That means that Fractal bears the risk -- not UPS. Shipping gets a lot cheaper when you're not paying insurance. ;)
Insurance is part of it, but I think it’s a little more than that. It’s very apparent that those business doing lots of shipping get a bulk rate and the major shippers use other third party services and systems to expedite and cut costs. It does seem that the shipping cost burden in general is weighted heavier by the shippers toward the individual.

Whether FAS actually benefits from bulk shipping like an Amazon is doubtful and is represented in their shipping costs when purchasing new.

Insurance is part of it, but I think it’s a little more than that. It’s very apparent that those business doing lots of shipping get a bulk rate and the major shippers use other third party services and systems to expedite and cut costs. It does seem that the shipping cost burden in general is weighted heavier by the shippers toward the individual.

Whether FAS actually benefits from bulk shipping like an Amazon is doubtful and is represented in their shipping costs when purchasing new.
True.

I don’t know what else can be done but there should be a way to retrofit a more robust connector. This is the Achilles heel of the FM3 in my opinion. A dark blemish on an otherwise stellar product.

Re what else can be done, I built a connection panel so my USB connection to the outside world is a heavy duty chassis-mounted Neutrik jack that isn’t flimsy and that can be replaced in minutes if it breaks, and the USB cable that connects it to the FM3 never gets moved and is somewhat protected by how/where the FM3 is mounted on my board. It doesn’t mean it will never be an issue, but I’ve tried to limit the strain on it and moved the higher risk connection to a separate heavy duty connection that can more easily be fixed if necessary.

I basically stick it under the FM3 so that it rests on top of it and keeps it from moving. I guess I could mount it to a pedalboard but I love the portability of just the bare unit and I already have enough stuff to carry. Also the height of the unit is such that is doesn't fit in any of my pedal cases if I mount it to a board. Anyway, I digress...

Reactions: smj
My USB B connector finally died after my last gear rearrangement, so I've sent it to FAS to asses.

Its estimated delivery date is Monday, July 3.

could the timing be worse: UPS strike "imminent" if pay agreement not reached by Friday, Teamsters warn

Not quite.

The FM3 has both the USB-B, which all three models have and is required for USB devices, and it has a USB-A, because it was intended to also allow a storage device and the FM3 would act as that device’s host. The USB-A has never been enabled.
We're talking about different things
in FM3, the USB port is made differently than in FM9 and AxeFX III
Is the Fractal FM3 USB-B chip identical to the chips in the Fractal FM-9 and Axe-FX III? Is the chip soldering scheme identical in all devices (Axe-FX II vs. Fractal FM9 vs. Fractal FM3)?

for infomational porpoises, it cost me $592 to have the pcb replaced ...
get a 3 yr warranty or keep the cookie jar full .....

giphy.gif

I'm literally dealing with this issue now, I will have to send in my unit, and it's the second time it's happened to me, but on a different unit. If this is as common as it seems, the price to have is fixed is fairly fucking ridiculous and I think if it's as common an issue as it is, there should be some form of leniency. I'm extremely disappointed in hearing that you had to pay $500 for a replacement USB socket, that's so inexcusable.

Yes, I've had that experience. Last April, the USB port failed on my AxeFX III MKII. I sent it in for repair and Fractal sent it out to a third party for repair. It added a few extra weeks to the repair, but it came back and worked perfectly for a year. Within the past month, the USB port has failed again and I'm shipping it back to Fractal for repair tomorrow. I'm expecting another lengthy wait. With all that said -- I've been a devoted Fractal fan for over a decade
I also have been a devoted customer, and fan since over a decade, and reading all this and knowing I'm walking into a $500 bill, along with a 3 week wait time when I was told "repairs are usually a quick turnaround" is really starting to make my blood boil. I cannot believe Fractal is having this much inconsistency in their USB ports amongst multiple customers and haven't at least addressed some form of extended warranty for USB port specific issues.

I'm hoping to have the $90 repair experience rather than the $500 experience

For those who might be shipping soon, UPS ground from CA to Fractal Audio Systems, with a value of $1000 and with signature confirmation costs $47.89

Back
Top Bottom