FM3 Mkll?

Hmm I guess I’m confused then. So what exactly does the FM3 not have that the AxeFx3 has besides dual amp ability?
You are not confused...
It does not have the following
some of the drive pedals Horizon, OCD , Box of rock
Pitch algo is little different more latency , less stable with higher shift amount
Does not have the Ultra res Irs
is a little slower on channel scene changes

Thats about it
Your list is not complete.

As was asked, some blocks have less channels. Additionally, some blocks don't exist on the FM3 (such as the IR Player).

The Blocks Guide has the details, although things are changing on a regular basis so it might not be 100% accurate.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/fas-guides/Fractal-Audio-Blocks-Guide.pdf

B727F447-BBCB-4F7F-93E4-EB3824545C56.jpeg

Hmm I guess I’m confused then. So what exactly does the FM3 not have that the AxeFx3 has besides dual amp ability?
Fuzz pedals have a way to switch the physical impedance on the input with the FX3 if the drive is the first block. FM3 doesn’t have that, so they don’t sound quite as authentic.

Also the ultrares IRs are truncated, although it is debatable how much of a difference that makes.

I have looked at the Quad Cortex and it has some nice features. I very seldom use two amps. The FM3 is miles ahead on effects and tone.
Cliff is a very smart man. Helix came out with a nicer interface to change patches. Cliff countered with the FC6, and FC12.

Now Quad Cortex has created a killer touch screen interface with a huge amount of power with a lot of switches for changing scenes and patches. I think most of FM 3 and Axe FX user already have an FC6 or FC12. I think the cost would be too great to have and AXE 3 floor unit with 12 switches.

This is just speculation on my part, but I see a three switch new unit, let's say FM4, coming that is actually the same or more powerful than the Axe 3. Touch screen and rotary encoders are very nice but what is the cost for that? The casing for the Quad Cortex is very thin. I had to reseat one of my ribbon on my motherboard on my Axe FX. When I opened up the unit, I was so impressed with the quality.

I am a player that likes very few big presets. I like it to never have to bank up or down and to be able to use 10 presets and 8 scenes each.
It would make my day to have a floor unit that matches power wise with the Axe 3 or more power.

My friends we have it all. Really the only thing needed is bigger processors for the next generation floor models.

Helix hardly ever has an update. I don't know how often Quad Cortex will update, but no one is a relentless as Cliff at making things better while maintaining cost getting out of hand. You have to also have to be a good business man. Well could all add to the list of wants to make a unit cost $4000. We don't want that.

it won't sound worse, but possible problem is if a new model came out within a year that had some noticeable improvements or upgrades and you want to get it because those improvements may directly benefit your workflow, then the FM3 used market prices drop and you spend alot more money in the long run. My opinion anyways
We don’t buy these as investments, we buy them as tools to be used. Tools depreciate over time, just like our guitars and the vast majority of amps and pedals and computers.

IF Fractal was to come out with a floor version of the AF3, it won’t affect the FM3 sales any worse than it would the AF3; sales for both would be affected. That’s just what a market does. The AF3 is targeted at studios and pros who intend to rack mount it or leave it in one place. The FM3 is designed for people who do live gigs in clubs, need easy portability or don’t want to pay the extra money for the added capacity. There isn’t a lot of space in their product line for a floor version of the AF3 as a result.

I doubt that they will come out with such a beast any time soon because they’re selling a lot of FM3 and AF3 as is, and it takes a couple years to design a unit, prototype it, and line up production.

I have both. Would I sell both and replace them with a floor version of the AF3? I don’t know. And I’m sure Fractal is asking that too.

I have looked at the Quad Cortex and it has some nice features. I very seldom use two amps. The FM3 is miles ahead on effects and tone.
Cliff is a very smart man. Helix came out with a nicer interface to change patches. Cliff countered with the FC6, and FC12.

Now Quad Cortex has created a killer touch screen interface with a huge amount of power with a lot of switches for changing scenes and patches. I think most of FM 3 and Axe FX user already have an FC6 or FC12. I think the cost would be too great to have and AXE 3 floor unit with 12 switches.

This is just speculation on my part, but I see a three switch new unit, let's say FM4, coming that is actually the same or more powerful than the Axe 3. Touch screen and rotary encoders are very nice but what is the cost for that? The casing for the Quad Cortex is very thin. I had to reseat one of my ribbon on my motherboard on my Axe FX. When I opened up the unit, I was so impressed with the quality.

I am a player that likes very few big presets. I like it to never have to bank up or down and to be able to use 10 presets and 8 scenes each.
It would make my day to have a floor unit that matches power wise with the Axe 3 or more power.

My friends we have it all. Really the only thing needed is bigger processors for the next generation floor models.

Helix hardly ever has an update. I don't know how often Quad Cortex will update, but no one is a relentless as Cliff at making things better while maintaining cost getting out of hand. You have to also have to be a good business man. Well could all add to the list of wants to make a unit cost $4000. We don't want that.
I have the Quad Cortex here with an
FM3 . IMO the interface is great
the core amp models are good and the feel is impressive
is it an FM3 killer ? Even before Cygnus i would say no
For all is positive qualities there are some areas that really lack like the effects , if i had to describe the unit it would be closest to I would say an Atomic mark 2 if they had a killer UI

Atomic mark 2 if they had a killer UI

Atomic MkII at more than triple the price. Seems like a decent box but IMHO $1700 USD is really pushing it for something that's not fully functional. Maybe I'm not the early adopter type but I don't want to pay that much for something that's really in a beta state.

Here's what I'd want in an FM3 Mk II:
More CPU
3 more switches
XLR 1/4 in combo output jacks

Most of that is for convenience. I'm sure at some point CPU will happen as it always does and that alone would make me happy. As is, for $1000 USD it's the best solution for me. I can see using the FM3 for years happily. It's probably good enough for me to never buy another modeler (but we all know how that goes).

Reactions: JTI
Here's what I'd want in an FM3 Mk II:
More CPU
3 more switches
XLR 1/4 in combo output jacks

Most of that is for convenience. I'm sure at some point CPU will happen as it always does and that alone would make me happy. As is, for $1000 USD it's the best solution for me. I can see using the FM3 for years happily. It's probably good enough for me to never buy another modeler (but we all know how that goes).

I would add a separate headphone output level knob to this list. CPUwise I don't feel it even needs Axe-Fx 3 level DSP. Just maybe 20-30% percent more for extra flexibility and less block limits. I don't care too much about things like stereo amp blocks because I haven't found them to be that useful on the Axe-Fx 2 or Helix. But I would like another reverb block and to not run into "warning CPU limit" for what are not super complex patches.

In Europe the price difference between FM3 and Quad Cortex is 333 euros (~$391 USD) so the FM3 does not compare so favorably and the 599 euro (~$704 USD) price for the FC6 is just something else. This is with VAT included. To me the main things Fractal has going for it are the amp modeling, tweakability, channels feature, modifiers and the quality of the time based effects.

Respectfully, I hope Fractal doesn't go the touch screen route.
+1. Coming from a helix, and was a tier one preorder QC (I dropped out) I really like the FM3/AX3 screen. The resolution and contrast are great. I like the mix of hardware knobs and buttons. And there’s multiple ways to perform many functions. Unlike a touchscreen, where if there’s any issue with that - game over. That said, I would like to see them offer some different screen layouts designed with live use in mind. Those photoshoppped mock ups of an fm3 screen zoomed into 8 blocks for each scene is great IMO.

Honestly I don’t like touch screen. Unless they are at the same level of the one we are used to in 2021 (Apple with ProMotion, Samsung) they will look cheap and outdated.

I have touch screen on my car and the comparison is anytime with my iPad. It looks older and cheaper, less responsive and slower.

So, in my opinion, or the touchscreen will be at the same level of a tablet or it will look like a toy.

About MKII, I don’t know, If they need to improve something in such a short period, the MKI is what? A “golden master”? Something more than a “beta”?

+1. Coming from a helix, and was a tier one preorder QC (I dropped out) I really like the FM3/AX3 screen. The resolution and contrast are great. I like the mix of hardware knobs and buttons. And there’s multiple ways to perform many functions. Unlike a touchscreen, where if there’s any issue with that - game over. That said, I would like to see them offer some different screen layouts designed with live use in mind. Those photoshoppped mock ups of an fm3 screen zoomed into 8 blocks for each scene is great IMO.
FM3 could use some zoom features for sure, I really liked the zoomed view mockups as well. I don't see why the Home screen text needs to be so tiny.

I was disappointed when the Axe-Fx 3 was released and the Axe-Fx Standard era navigation section was basically unchanged. I still feel the spacing of the nav buttons is too wide and a Helix style joystick would be just far better and could replace both the value wheel and the nav buttons. In fact when I got the FM3 I actually kept trying to nudge the value wheel because I was so used to the Helix way!

I'll reserve judgement on the QC touchscreen when I get to try it myself. I have a few reservations about it as said these often aren't on the smartphone/tablet level. Because it is recessed a tiny bit will mean it's harder to reliably swipe from the edge but does add a bit of protection. I like the large number of knob/switches it has on board but the mapping to which ones do what in each editing context could be clearer.

Back
Top Bottom