FM3 Mkll?

I certainly hope the next product is NOT an FM3 MKII. Lets move up to a full Axe-FX III in a floor unit with more switches.

I would not necessarily need to full axe on the floor but something with
more switches and a bit more DSP to match the AX3 pitch drive cab block , i would be ok even still w one amp block
also if there is one on the Horizon
an OMG layout would be a must
even having one switch like a mode
that cycle presets scenes fx, looper
so you can have the same combo
as FC6 FM3 that is a wickedly smart implementation IMO

I have watched some demos of the QC, and am always surprised how little CPU is being used for the patches being created.That tells me the algorithms they are using are less processor intensive.

Or they are using more robust CPUs that can handle more load. But CPU resources doesn't mean squat if the algorithms driving it are sub-par. To use a PC as an analogy, a great game running on a 5th gen Intel CPU is still better then a crappy game on a 10th gen CPU (or insert your GPU of choice).

Or they are using more robust CPUs that can handle more load. But CPU resources doesn't mean squat if the algorithms driving it are sub-par. To use a PC as an analogy, a great game running on a 5th gen Intel CPU is still better then a crappy game on a 10th gen CPU (or insert your GPU of choice).

They are using 4 SHARC cores where the FM3 uses 2, otherwise I am pretty sure the processors are more-or-less the same.

Haven't we already done this about 10 times in the past few months?
In the past few months? Ha! This type of thread is an ongoing deal and in some way required posting material! If there is anything that is consistent with respect to FAS it's something new every three years or so give or take and a plethora of threads about what's the next new thing going to be and how soooon will we see it.

I think Quad Cortex is a pure today marketing strategy. Teasing long time before the release, grow a massive database and finally launch a product with no real innovation. The FM3 is so good, but even AX8 is a milestone in the floorboard market. IMHO, people have to focus more on their need, to produce music, practice guitar way before spend money on hyped gear. Neural makes great plugins, but there is no reason to claim a game changing for the moment.

I wonder what should FM3 mk2 bring to the table to be noticeably better than FM3 mk1?

If some say "More CPU power", that's not an argument, really. FM3 has all the needed power.
If an absurd amount of CPU power is needed, there is AxeFX3 for that.

FM3 will never have the same CPU power as AxeFX3. This is a logical business decision. Unless there will specifically be a floor unit of AxeFX3. But that won't be FM3 mk2.

IMHO.

They are using 4 SHARC cores where the FM3 uses 2, otherwise I am pretty sure the processors are more-or-less the same.

Then they might be using the entire ecosystem as a baseline for their CPU calculations. More doesn't always mean better, but as I haven't played a QC I'll reserve judgement. I like neat toys so I would like to try one out. :)

I'm not a rack mount guy - so putting additional CPU power in a floor unit is appealing to me. As the FM3 fits in the FC6 box it's a natural extension to think a more powerful/additional switches unit could be designed into the FC12 enclosure. I see the logic of "if you want more CPU get the III" and that Fractal would also potentially take that position. And yes - I could get the III and have a FC12 to control it - but it's more gear to move/setup/tear down anytime you play out. It's not a HUGE deal - but a big part of why I migrated off the 11 Rack back in the day was the fact that I didn't want the hassle of a rack mount device anymore.

With respect to the Quad Cortex and CPU usage - we don't really know - it's possible they're running lesser algorithms - but they also are running twice the chips compared to the FM3. Most of my presets on the FM3 are around 70% or less. If you'd double the processing power I'd be at approximately 1/2 that, or ~35% CPU. So it's possible the algorithms are on par. Ultimately we'll see.

All that said - I'm new to Fractal as of December and really enjoy the FM3. It's a great product with awesome tones! I don't think there is going to be a massive exodus of current owners to the Quad Cortex.

With respect to the Quad Cortex and CPU usage - we don't really know - it's possible they're running lesser algorithms - but they also are running twice the chips compared to the FM3.
Seems you misunderstand what a CORE is, what clock speed is, what a BUS is, what an accelerator is, what's MFLOPS, I/O handler, and the accuracy and complexity of an algorithm are. Check the forum, great info here and there...
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-vs-quad-cortex.169722/post-2040335

Seems you misunderstand what a CORE is, what clock speed is, what a BUS is, what an accelerator is, what's MFLOPS, I/O handler, and the accuracy and complexity of an algorithm are. Check the forum, great info here and there...
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-vs-quad-cortex.169722/post-2040335
I'm in IT - so get there are far more complexities at play - I was speaking in general terms, as that's the level the discussion was at. But I agree with your assessment.

Given that Axe3 had its Mk2 release, an FM3 Mk2 should probably arrive this year or beginning next year if following the same update timeline.

I think many people here are correct in that substantially more power probably isn't what a Mk2 update would need. Personally I'd want better editing capabilities on the unit itself. If the Quad showed anything, it's that touch screens and dragging and dropping things on a grid actually works fairly well as a concept (disclaimer though; I super dislike the stomp buttons doubling as turning knobs). I'm sure Fractal could make that UI even better.

Another thing that I'm still surprised isn't built in is wireless editing capabilties. More and more people replace their desktops & laptops with tablets. Why not release FM3 Edit on Android & iOS and connect via Bluetooth? It's 2021! :)

Well, how about an FM3 mod... ? If that is even possible to fit an even more powerful chip in place of the existing? Just thinking out loud. But seriously, the Axe3 Mk II changes were:
• New IPS Display offers improved contrast, better viewing angles and more vivid colors.
• Adjustable RGB LEDs let you set the color and brightness of the front panel logo.
• Double the preset memory = space for 1024 presets.
• Increased flash memory for future updates.

So would the FM3 Mk II really be necessary for a floor unit? And it is the best floor unit out there already IMO. And the Quad, can it really compete with Fractal? Remains to be seen I guess, but they have a ways to go to prove it. :)

Back
Top Bottom