FM3 for REAL jazz

He might have gotten the preset by following Jens video here:

He lists the cab used somewhere in the comment section but I think it's called "1x12 open"

Edit: I found the actual preset on Axe Change. Here ya go :cool:

Looks like that vid is for Axe Ultra.

A preset for that is of limited use with current Fractal hardware and firmware.

I find the Fender tweeds with TMB adjusted as I would on the "real" amps nail that Rudy Van Gelder, 50s/60s jazz vibe and tone (Wes/Grant Green/Kenny Burrell, etc.). Depending upon whether I'm recording or on stage, aka volume level, I add in just a bit of studio compression (try both in front of amp and after everything but the Output block). About 8-12% mix of a slightly darker reverb, and I'm good.

That said, I also have no problem using the BF Fender models for great jazz tones, so our ears, guitars, technique, etc. might differ enough that perhaps even the tweeds won't do it for you. Give them a try, tho, if you haven't yet.

Some unexpected candidates might work as well; I've gotten surprisingly good clean jazz tone from the Bludotone, Carol Ann, and Suhr Badger models, even using teles. Don't be afraid to experiment! With 300+ amps and thousands of cabs, I'm betting your particular holy grail "real jazz" tone is in the FM3.

try the tucana and bring down the treble. It's warm and meaty.
Use an IR with only 121's and you're laughing.

These sound great to me:
1697922358551.png

I've heard that some classic jazz guitarists used Ampeg Geminis, and that they were standard in studios such as RVG's. (I may be way wrong about this!) I wonder if there's enough early Ampeg DNA to make the SVT model a good foundation for building a jazz model. I think the Ampegs used a Baxandall-style EQ, so maybe using a clean amp like a twin but swapping in a different tonestack style might get you there. A 15" speaker IR might also help!

@abendJazz I would also love to see a Polytone or Henriksen model added to the Fractal. I'm currently playing the Brownface Super and getting excellent results. I also like the Dumble style amps (ODS Clean, Bludotone, Two-Rock, Carol-Ann). I also tend to use the @dr bonkers Polytone IRs and they are fantastic for helping get "that sound". I do have one secret weapon when I really want to match the sound of my actual Polytones and that is a custom build Polytone pre-amp pedal paired with, again, a @dr bonkers Polytone IR. It is the only pedal I use with the Fractal.

@abendJazz I would also love to see a Polytone or Henriksen model added to the Fractal. I'm currently playing the Brownface Super and getting excellent results. I also like the Dumble style amps (ODS Clean, Bludotone, Two-Rock, Carol-Ann). I also tend to use the @dr bonkers Polytone IRs and they are fantastic for helping get "that sound". I do have one secret weapon when I really want to match the sound of my actual Polytones and that is a custom build Polytone pre-amp pedal paired with, again, a @dr bonkers Polytone IR. It is the only pedal I use with the Fractal.
the henriksen is more or less just a flat, non-colored preamp running into a classD power amp. If you want that sound, just use an EQ instead of an amp. Polytone adds some midrange honk. You can do that in the eq block

Last edited:
Have you ever done a tone match of your "custom build Polytone pre-amp pedal"?

It's pretty certainly just a fixed EQ curve, no other processing, which makes it a perfect candidate for tone matching, then you won't need the pedal any more.

Better yet, put that tone match up on AxeChange, and between that and the Dr Bonkers Polytone IRs, people looking for that sound would have a pretty much ready to go roadmap. As you can tell from past discussions, that'd be pretty helpful.

my metheny preset uses a bit of compression into the "tube pre" amp with gain on 7 and master on 8 with the bright switch on.
that goes into legacy cabs 99 and 100, which are a 4x10 bassguy mix and a 4x10 superverb mix.
i use the peq next to notch out 2db at 300hz with a Q of 2.

then for the metheny stereo spread, i duplicated his settings by placing a vintage digital in parallel with a time of 450ms, feedback at 11 and level at -16. mix on 100%. and also a dual delay in parallel with times of 14ms and 26ms, mix on 100%, level at -8. no feedback and panned hard left and right. in the modulation page, i set lfo1 to 0.7hz with a depth of 33% and a target of left. lfo2 targets right with a rate of 1hz and a depth of 30%.

add some reverb at the end of the chain to taste

my metheny preset uses a bit of compression into the "tube pre" amp with gain on 7 and master on 8 with the bright switch on.
that goes into legacy cabs 99 and 100, which are a 4x10 bassguy mix and a 4x10 superverb mix.

then for the metheny stereo spread, i duplicated his settings by placing a vintage digital in parallel with a time of 450ms, feedback at 11 and level at -16. mix on 100%. and also a dual delay in parallel with times of 14ms and 26ms, mix on 100%, level at -8. no feedback and panned hard left and right. in the modulation page, i set lfo1 to 0.7hz with a depth of 33% and a target of left. lfo2 targets right with a rate of 1hz and a depth of 30%.

Cool I'll try this.

But just to say it, Metheny isn't what I'd call the "traditional" jazz tone the Polytone crew is after.

agreed. the polytone is basically just a solid state clean amp through a 15 inch speaker. the tube pre is the most flat sounding and least guitar amp like amp we have, so it's probably a good option and i think the speaker ir is going to give you the flavour, so finding the right one is the most important part of the equation. dr bonkers has some ir's - https://bit.ly/3u3K3vE

do you have fm3 versions?

Have you ever done a tone match of your "custom build Polytone pre-amp pedal"?

It's pretty certainly just a fixed EQ curve, no other processing, which makes it a perfect candidate for tone matching, then you won't need the pedal any more.

Better yet, put that tone match up on AxeChange, and between that and the Dr Bonkers Polytone IRs, people looking for that sound would have a pretty much ready to go roadmap. As you can tell from past discussions, that'd be pretty helpful.

No, I have not. In fact I have never done a tone match but I do have an Axe-Fx III so I give it a shot...perhaps this weekend if I have time and if the results are good I'll post it to AxeChange. Thanks for the suggestion Dave!

the henriksen is more or less just a flat, non-colored preamp running into a classD power amp. If you want that sound, just use an EQ instead of an amp. Polytone adds some midrange honk. You can do that in the eq block
Thanks for the tip Jack. I'll give it a try and see how close I get.

Back
Top Bottom