FM3 for REAL jazz

abendJazz

Good morning to all users,
I just got my FM3 and I'm ready to work on it to get a jazz guitar sound.

First of all, I want to apologize if this is not the right part of the Forum, in case tell me where is better to post it, thank you in advance :)

So far, I checked all ampli but I cant find any jazz oriented amplifier. I want to start a topic about jazz guitar, firstly as a 'cry of pain' for the disappointment about lack of jazz amps, then to know (if possible) what's the technical issue (if any) to model amps for this musical genre, and then to start a positive, propositive way to share real solutions and solve this issue.

How do you guys get a good jazz sound out of it?
Why tthere's NO ONE popular jazz amp modelled in this unit (and in all other modelling units, for that matter)? Don't tell me bc of lack of users, I see modelled amps that 99% of people have no idea they could even be existed dozens years ago and they are unfindable on the market and maybe played just ONCE by a (not so) famous guitaritsts, still they are perfectly modelled and loaded in the FM3. What happens with jazz amps? What's the issue to model a simple, popular and vastly used amp as a Polytone or an Henriksen (that would be enough, btw)?

RULES FOR THE DISCUSSION:
1. NO Roland Jazz Chorus: despite the name, it's a strange amp with big clean headroom, yet it's commonly NOT used for jazz just bc it DOES NOT has a typical jazz sound
2. FENDERs: you can force some of them to simulate a sort jazz sound, but they're not intended primary for jazz, that valve attack sound and small headroom are not good for classic jazz (of course EVERYBODY KNOWS they were used ALSO for jazz in the '50, '60, such as unknown amps or direct in the board like Joe Pass, still that's not what an average nowadays jazz player would to look for). It seems that Fenders are the preferred jazz amps to give to a jazz guitarists by rehearsals studios managers because they dont have specific amps for jazz, you find yourself playing jazz chords with a 'funky' attack and when you complain they answer 'everybody play jazz with fenders' that is totally false, they're not the first choice for any guitarists that play jazz, maybe for those that play 'also' some jazz. Personally, I use to struggle 1hr on tone controls and all, why other band members swear at me :)), but can get a barely usable jazz tone out of them like once in 12 times.
3. using only PEQ maybe with a clean preamp, is NOT the answer: I dont need 1400 euros fractal device for that, I want to use the capability of this device and go stright into the board with a jazz sound, FM3 is meant for that right? I didnt buy it as an FX unit to add to a real amp or cab.
4. PLEASE avoid answers like: 'any amp played clean', 'Mike Stern uses fender guitars, chorus, dist, go for that', 'depends what you mean for jazz, many players I know they play fender/Bogner/younameit with distortion' eìtc etc. I mean, I'm not into rock and for me any amp crancked up in distortion is good for that music, but I know rock people can recognize so subtle differences in distortions that they need tons of different amps, that for me are exactly the same, to get what they need. Please respect that other musical genres are as much as picky in their own pitch. Effective jazz sound is not 'any clean amp or no amp with trebles rolled off' and is the exact inverse of a contemporary Fender amp, where you have a hole in the mids and overwhelming basses and trebles with a sparkling edgy 'crunchy' valve attack, instead we need prominence of good sweet mids, with rounded high and bass, yet a good 'umph' in the attack without sparkles or any crunchy 'edge'.
5. So far, I am aware of the high level of FM3, both amp and fx wise, and the quality sound it produces, so please avoid to answer just to tell that FM3 is great, we already know that and I have NO DOUBTS about it :)

Thank you to all and hope this can become an interesting discussion.
Fabio

Not a jazz expert but Jens Larsen (who seems to really know his stuff, check on insta) has shared is jazz preset on the axe exchange. Give it a try
I just went there and grabbed the preset, I'll try asap
Thank you for your reply, mate.
and yeah, Jens is one of my favorite jazz teachers on the web :)
ciao

thank you so much for the preset! I'll try it as soon as possible.

Actually Dumble Overdrive with a 4x12 cab seems more a rock setup, especially the 4x12: they somewhat 'disperd' the sound while you usually want it 'focused' (I cannot describe the result better than this :) ), a single speaker usually works better for that, but I'm very curious to try it and happy to be surprised!

fabio

Fender Twin Reverb with a 2x12 matching cab is a nice place to start. I find 4x12 cabs sound far too thin.

thank you so much for the preset! I'll try it as soon as possible.

Actually Dumble Overdrive with a 4x12 cab seems more a rock setup, especially the 4x12: they somewhat 'disperd' the sound while you usually want it 'focused' (I cannot describe the result better than this :) ), a single speaker usually works better for that, but I'm very curious to try it and happy to be surprised!

fabio
I tested it with 2x12 before but I really licked the 4x12, it is very thick souding, without harsh highs.

Last edited:
Mike Stern - two Fender Twins in stereo. Great sound.

Try the CA3+ Clean
Solo Clean

thank you for your contribution,
mike stern is not the sound I'm looking for (and not classic jazz tone at all, for that matter),
If you have time, try to read my first post
ciao

In europe you can test the unit for a certain time (2 weeks or 1 month.... not sure anymore) and if you are not happy with it, just send it back and get your money back. If it was purchased new and from the official distributor (G66). Don't know'bout the rest of the world. Just as worst case scenario. Good luck for your tone!

I just went there and grabbed the preset, I'll try asap
Thank you for your reply, mate.
and yeah, Jens is one of my favorite jazz teachers on the web :)
ciao
Hi abendJazz, I hate to sound like an ignoramus, where did you get Jens' preset? I tried the forum search and had no luck...thanks!

ODS-100 Clean amp with 4x12 Rumble-12L 57 A + 4x12 Rumble-12L 121 A. Really love it! I use an Ibanez Semi-hollow.
Thank you! I just downloaded your preset..:) I'm using a 339 for that sound, and I hope it's not too much like a Les Paul for that. Your Ibanez is most likely a far better fit.

Hi abendJazz, I hate to sound like an ignoramus, where did you get Jens' preset? I tried the forum search and had no luck...thanks!
He might have gotten the preset by following Jens video here:

He lists the cab used somewhere in the comment section but I think it's called "1x12 open"

Edit: I found the actual preset on Axe Change. Here ya go :cool:

Attachments

• p010096_JensLarsen221209.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 100
Back
Top Bottom