FM3 Firmware Version 9.00 public beta 2

Just spent the last 4 hours getting lost in the 1959SLP model. Hard to describe what I’m hearing/feeling, but it seems like a noticeable improvement over 8.0. Feels more immediate, almost like more compression without the compression if that makes sense.
This amp is becoming a favorite. Really like how it cleans up using the volume knob.

Explain, because I have never had any USB connectivity issues in 3 years of use.
My FM3 running V9.00b works perfectly from it's USB Type - B port and connects to FM3 Edit without issue. The other external USB Type - A port is to the best of my understanding not available to be used to connect as host or device or even for charging. It seems Fractal has not yet implemented any comms functions for this port yet?

Anyone who has the full story on this external Type -A port please advise.

My FM3 running V9.00b works perfectly from it's USB Type - B port and connects to FM3 Edit without issue. The other external USB Type - A port is to the best of my understanding not available to be used to connect as host or device or even for charging. It seems Fractal has not yet implemented any comms functions for this port yet?

Anyone who has the full story on this external Type -A port please advise.
You have the full story. :)

Explain, because I have never had any USB connectivity issues in 3 years of use.

There are many possible causes for USB issues and almost never are they related to firmware.

With no details nobody can offer much help.

I'd suggest creating a thread specifically about your issue and then reply here.

In the meantime, this thread might help:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/usb-connection-issues-with-the-editor-help-is-here.194108/
This seems to be a fairly common problem with the FM3, hence the linked thread that I've read through several times. And yes, I'm using the type B connector. My issues are completely at random and without any sort of logic as to the main factor. Tonight's issue was after an update to Beta 9 via Fractal Bot, then wouldn't connect to update Dynacab. Restarted the FM3 twice before I could start the Dynacab update then of course, it refused to connect to FM3 Edit. Yes, Fractal Bot was closed although I did open it back up and it too would not connect to the pedal. Restarted the pedal another couple times and my Mac once, still nothing. I shut both off before leaving for work, unplugged the FM3 power as well, come back hours later, restart and voila. Connected.

This is the second brand new USB cable, it only goes between my pedal and Mac although the previous brand new USB cable has had no issues hooked up to a printer since being reassigned. It will still work with the FM3, when the FM3 wants to. Another troubleshooting thread mentioned having the pedal on the same power circuit as the editing computer which is mindboggling to me but yet, I keep an IEC cable plugged in to the same power source as my Mac to use with the FM3. Still random connectivity issues.

I can't install FM3 Edit on my latest work PC as they keep things locked down now but I did have it on my previous one and same random connectivity problems. I came from a number of years on the AX8 as my main gigging device, owned other Amplifire and Line 6 HX gear and none of them had any of the connectivity problems that my FM3 has had. So far it eventually works but it's incredibly frustrating, especially during a busy week and I need to program a set list or whatever quickly.

This seems to be a fairly common problem with the FM3, hence the linked thread that I've read through several times. And yes, I'm using the type B connector. My issues are completely at random and without any sort of logic as to the main factor. Tonight's issue was after an update to Beta 9 via Fractal Bot, then wouldn't connect to update Dynacab. Restarted the FM3 twice before I could start the Dynacab update then of course, it refused to connect to FM3 Edit. Yes, Fractal Bot was closed although I did open it back up and it too would not connect to the pedal. Restarted the pedal another couple times and my Mac once, still nothing. I shut both off before leaving for work, unplugged the FM3 power as well, come back hours later, restart and voila. Connected.

This is the second brand new USB cable, it only goes between my pedal and Mac although the previous brand new USB cable has had no issues hooked up to a printer since being reassigned. It will still work with the FM3, when the FM3 wants to. Another troubleshooting thread mentioned having the pedal on the same power circuit as the editing computer which is mindboggling to me but yet, I keep an IEC cable plugged in to the same power source as my Mac to use with the FM3. Still random connectivity issues.

I can't install FM3 Edit on my latest work PC as they keep things locked down now but I did have it on my previous one and same random connectivity problems. I came from a number of years on the AX8 as my main gigging device, owned other Amplifire and Line 6 HX gear and none of them had any of the connectivity problems that my FM3 has had. So far it eventually works but it's incredibly frustrating, especially during a busy week and I need to program a set list or whatever quickly.
I’m not as versed with Mac than PC with Windows. As annoying as Windows can be there are some specific problem areas with Macs and USB port connectivity problems. I know of resetting the USB ports on a Mac and resetting some other communication areas with Macs. Off hand I forget the exact procedures. Maybe someone more versed in Macs can chime in. Or do a search for Mac USB connection problems.

I just know most the time when dealing with USB issues it’s the OS and/or the hardware of the computer, improper or malfunctioning connection medium or bad drivers in Windows situations. This would also include the things mentioned in the link in the earlier post. Things like energy saving features (especially on Laptops) putting the USB ports asleep.

How long is the USB cable you’re using?

Finally there is always the rare instance that something is in fact broken on your FM3 or the USB port has been damaged.

The one advantage I may have is the PC I use for the FM3 is also my DAW and I have it configured to avoid conflicts and other miscellaneous bugs.

Last night was the first time I had the chance to switch my FM3 on in over a week, so I did the firmware updates and went straight to the 1959SLP.
It sounds amazing and is now my favorite amp.
I was checking out the firmware threads on the Axe 3 forum and noticed some cool sound demos of the Trainwreck" amp so it could also be on the top of my list soon.
Funnily enough, last weekend I was away from home staying in a hotel where the nighttime receptionist was a gent with a big white beard. Hmmm... I thought, Santa Klaus. On Sunday morning as I was about to leave the hotel I managed to have a chat with him. "Oh, yes, I am a pro Santa in December", he told me and we had a bit of a laugh as I wished him a Merry Christmas in August. "Can I have something nice for Christmas this year I asked (not socks!), and he told me that he would look into it and make sure my Christmas was good.
I think that he and Fractal have worked together to give me (and you) this wonderful firmware update! An early Christmas present!
So, as I wished him, have a very merry (early) Christmas everybody for 2024. My best sounding tone year yet.

Maybe best to start another thread out of this FW 9, also contact Support - raise a ticket. i had issues on my 1st FM3 a couple of years back which was a loaner until my new one arrived, was working and then suddenly had issues. i had 4 Mac’s, 2 worked, 2 didn’t with various OS and USB’s, it seemed USB 3.0 worked, USB 2.0 didn’t, and one Windows 10 didn’t. Support helped on debug. E.g.
1. Navigate to Setup page
2. Press both the 'C' and 'D' encoder knobs together repeatedly until you see 'Debug' in the list of options
3. Navigate to the Debug page
4. Connect the Mac which doesn't work to the FM3 via USB
5. Take a picture of the debug screen and attach it to the ticket.
I spoke to a guy at G66 (fractal distributor Europe) he advised that there can be voltage differentials between Mac/PC/USB and FM3 if on different supplies e.g Rack which causes issues when starting up/shut down of PC…maybe I am paranoid but I personally have a USB fly lead and don’t connect until both are powered up and disconnect before power down.

You can also reset the USB - SMC and PRAM/NPRAM on the Mac, just google it. Best of luck

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom