FM3 Firmware Version 7.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
In either case you have to use Fractal-Bot, it's just there's a copy pre-installed/embedded in the Tools menu in Edit for convenience, so we don't have to leave Edit and launch the standalone version. Both versions of Fractal-Bot can handle firmware updates, and can install the Dyna-Cabs.

The standalone version of Fractal-Bot has some additional "hidden" capabilities that are not needed except in rare occasions.

Having both versions on the machine invites the conflict between Edit and the standalone Fractal-Bot when both are both trying to talk to the modeler at the same time and they argue, with Fractal-Bot usually filling the screen with alerts saying it can't connect.

If you only have Edit, and use the embedded version you won't have that problem. If, in the rare occasion, you need the standalone version, support will say.

That's why I recommend not installing the standalone version, it's the simple way to avoid freaking out when the screen is filling faster than we can react.

Thanks Greg ... that makes it clearer :)

That's why I recommend not installing the standalone version, it's the simple way to avoid freaking out when the screen is filling faster than we can react.
Not sure if it makes a difference, but I've never had problems on a Mac. I have both installed, but never have both open simultaneously. I will typically use the standalone version for all update/backup needs, but have used the Edit version once or twice just to try it out.

I stayed on 6.0.2 until this release. Installed it all this afternoon. all went through like a breeze, very easy. I updated FM3-Edit first, and let it download both the firmware then dynacabs. refreshed everything, and now I have the option of my IRs and DynaCabs. Insane amount of tweakability and options - and that was just before the DynaCabs update... now, I may never leave the house again until 2027... damn you Fractal.. what am I meant to do now, cut a hole in my chair so it doubles as a commode?! Amazing work guys! Love my FM3.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I've never had problems on a Mac. I have both installed, but never have both open simultaneously. I will typically use the standalone version for all update/backup needs, but have used the Edit version once or twice just to try it out.
People who have experience with the systems, especially previous generations of the hardware, and used the standalone version prior to it being embedded in Edit are in a different user-space than people new to the Fractal eco-system. We've seen many reports recently of users crossing the beams and having their screens fill with the alerts.

I've run into it a couple times when I'm moving fast during testing, and it's amazing how fast Fractal-Bot can fill the screen, and it can lead to someone totally freaking out if they're not aware of the ways to kill a running app, because, at that point Fractal-Bot has lost its mind and won't listen to the keyboard and there's a screenful of alert boxes hoping someone will click them. I have a strong computer background, especially on Macs and doing development on them, and I sat there stunned thinking "WHAT THE F*!?" the first time, and "NO, I DIDN'T DO THAT AGAIN!?" the second and third times. (Like I said, I was moving fast.) And the easy way for people to avoid that is to only use Edit's embedded version until there's an absolute need. YMMV, and that's cool, because the more experienced people who understand the issue and can talk the others off the ledge, the better. :)

I stayed on 6.0.2 until this release. Installed it all this afternoon. all went through like a breeze, very easy. I updated FM3-Edit first, and let it download both the firmware then dynacabs. refreshed everything, and now I have the option of my IRs and DynaCabs. Insane amount of tweakability and options - and that was just before the DynaCabs update... now, I may never leave the house again until 2027... damn you Fractal.. what am I meant to do now, cut a hole in my chair so it doubles as a commode?! Amazing work guys! Love my FM3.
I'm still on 6.02. Gun shy based on reports of increased CPU requirements and all the apparent snags people seem to be hitting while upgrading. Can you share a sense of CPU usage changes going from 6.02 to 7.00? My most used patches all sit close to 80% in 6.02 and I'm loath to cut blocks from them. TIA

I’m still on the 7 beta. CPU did not increase. If you go the Dynacab route it goes down if you normally run Ultrares IR’s. I’m not using DC much but I didn’t need to delete blocks in any of my presets.

People who have experience with the systems, especially previous generations of the hardware, and used the standalone version prior to it being embedded in Edit are in a different user-space than people new to the Fractal eco-system. We've seen many reports recently of users crossing the beams and having their screens fill with the alerts.

I've run into it a couple times when I'm moving fast during testing, and it's amazing how fast Fractal-Bot can fill the screen, and it can lead to someone totally freaking out if they're not aware of the ways to kill a running app, because, at that point Fractal-Bot has lost its mind and won't listen to the keyboard and there's a screenful of alert boxes hoping someone will click them. I have a strong computer background, especially on Macs and doing development on them, and I sat there stunned thinking "WHAT THE F*!?" the first time, and "NO, I DIDN'T DO THAT AGAIN!?" the second and third times. (Like I said, I was moving fast.) And the easy way for people to avoid that is to only use Edit's embedded version until there's an absolute need. YMMV, and that's cool, because the more experienced people who understand the issue and can talk the others off the ledge, the better. :)
So you're saying to avoid having both open at once or else some chaos results?

I'm still on 6.02. Gun shy based on reports of increased CPU requirements and all the apparent snags people seem to be hitting while upgrading. Can you share a sense of CPU usage changes going from 6.02 to 7.00? My most used patches all sit close to 80% in 6.02 and I'm loath to cut blocks from them. TIA
sure! on firmware 6.02 my main JMP-1 Preset that has an Amp, Cab, Comp, Wah, Pitch, Reverb, Looper, Chorus, Formant, Phaser Block, and uses all 4 channels on every block (4 amps, 4 cabs, 4 pitches etc..) would top at 68-70%.

If I'm honest, I would struggle to wonder what to add next. Maybe, adding a drive pedal, otary or a plex veb would push things over the edge, but we're talking 80-82%, but I ever really went there.

Cut to today (Aug 24th 2023) and with 7.00 installed CPU use is 71.1%, maybe pushing 72/73, but rare.
Still have plenty of room to add a few more blocks, wisely of course. so yeah, go for it.

Upgrade was a breeze. I updated the FM3-Edit first, then ran Fractal Bot which downloaded firmware 7, then Dynacabs. I followed the instructions and installed fw7 first then dynacabs. rebooted the FM3 twice and boom, good to go.

Having acess to my IRs (I'm a huge lover of the Marshall JMP-1, and Leon Todd's speaker sim IR) as well as the new DynaCabs gives me heaps of great new options. I have no idea why people moan about the FM3, I've used one for well over a year, and I've made some hugely complex presets with it. AxFx III would be complete overkill for my needs. Never used anything as pro sounding and pro level as this, I used to use AxFx II's on sessions and loved those too.

Hope Fractal continue to suppor the FM3 for a few more years, but if not, I'll still be using this probably until it breaks. which will probably be in 2060 lol. Well done guys, great product!

FM3 DynaCabs Firmware 7 update - AUG 24th 2023.png

Anyone else notice CPU usage, dropped a little? I noticed when I loaded 7 beta 4. Confirmed now with FW 7.0. I’d say between 1-1.5% less than 6.02. In my experience anyway. I’ll take it. Lol. Later this evening I will post my setups. Lots of effects, dyna cabs, controllers, etc. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️ Granted the Reverb block isn’t super high quality but I don’t notice and no one else does either in a live setting. So good news for me I guess lol

@steveforward Thanks a ton for the detailed reply! 👍 So, in this example, the move cost you something in the range of 3% My primary patches are not unlike this one, so I'll go through my important ones and assess the impact of upgrading on this basis. I like to keep current and have access to the latest features.

Anyone else notice CPU usage, dropped a little? I noticed when I loaded 7 beta 4. Confirmed now with FW 7.0. I’d say between 1-1.5% less than 6.02. In my experience anyway. I’ll take it. Lol. Later this evening I will post my setups. Lots of effects, dyna cabs, controllers, etc. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️ Granted the Reverb block isn’t super high quality but I don’t notice and no one else does either in a live setting. So good news for me I guess lol
I have several presets that suddenly show overload and cut out. Very embarrassing during rehearsal. Multidelay is very jummy, but also very heavy. It's also a bit of a hassle to rectify this from the front panel.

I've been rebuilding all of my presets after upgrading from the AX8 and they weren't cutting out then. Also I did this with USB connected and the overloads happened without USB.

I was actually just looking for a recent block CPU table.

I have several presets that suddenly show overload and cut out. Very embarrassing during rehearsal. Multidelay is very jummy, but also very heavy. It's also a bit of a hassle to rectify this from the front panel.
80% is the recommended max CPU level. Audio processing and varying models in the blocks can make the CPU usage change on the fly so a preset that’s already on the edge can suddenly trigger the system’s warnings and block sound processing can be stopped until you do something about it.

I try to keep my presets below 75% to keep unexpected surprises away.

I've been rebuilding all of my presets after upgrading from the AX8 and they weren't cutting out then. Also I did this with USB connected and the overloads happened without USB.
You can’t really compare memory usage from older firmware with the current firmware. It’s different code.

USB doesn’t affect the CPUs on the current generation like it used to. The Wiki quoted Cliff with

USB connections do not increase CPU usage on the Axe-Fx III, FM9 and FM3, because USB traffic is handled by a dedicated USB processor.

With older devices, USB does increase CPU usage. [15]

I was actually just looking for a recent block CPU table.
There are some in the forum, but firmware updates to the models change the values.

It can wobble back and forth. New features can increase CPU then Cliff will have a chance to optimize and it’ll drop again. It’s an interesting thing about watching Fractal’s development of the system, it shows that they really care.
It is interesting. I’m definitely not complaining. For my presets the drop in CPU is welcomed. I usually run around 78-80%. These are now comfortably around 76-78 now. If I remove the looper I can free up more space.
Glad FAS puts forth so much effort into these units.

I've skipped a few updates and haven't really been following the developments much, so this is the first time I've heard of "DynaCabs" - holy sh*t. I feel like it sounds night and day. So inspiring!

Thanks Fractal!!! Great work!

In either case you have to use Fractal-Bot, it's just there's a copy pre-installed/embedded in the Tools menu in Edit for convenience, so we don't have to leave Edit and launch the standalone version. Both versions of Fractal-Bot can handle firmware updates, and can install the Dyna-Cabs.

The standalone version of Fractal-Bot has some additional "hidden" capabilities that are not needed except in rare occasions.

Having both versions on the machine invites the conflict between Edit and the standalone Fractal-Bot when both are both trying to talk to the modeler at the same time and they argue, with Fractal-Bot usually filling the screen with alerts saying it can't connect.

If you only have Edit, and use the embedded version you won't have that problem. If, in the rare occasion, you need the standalone version, support will say.

Been using the standalone version for years, since when has bot been embedded in Edit and where I find the button +

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom