FM3 Firmware Version 7.00 beta 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
when i try to make another scene(scene 2 with another amp, it changes my other scene(scene1 to the amp I just put in scene 2.

You are the, approximately, 5000th person who has posted this same thing on the forum because they have been misled by the term "scenes" into thinking they work differently than they actually do.

Scenes change Block Channels and Block on/off. Described that way, it’s pretty straight forward.
If a few people were confused by how it works, I'd agree with you and say RTFM. If a few dozen people were confused, I'd say maybe the UI should be bolstered slightly. But when hundreds of people are confused (and that's just counting people who have posted on the forum to express their confusion), you have to consider the possibility that the problem is with the design, not the users.

By now there are many videos about the Axe/FM. If these video creators don’t describe it correctly, that could be why people think it works that way. I’ve seen a good amount of these videos. “Scenes let you change any settings in any block, up to 8 different settings.” That’s one that comes to mind and is not accurate. Videos are definitely a prevalent way people learn about this gear.

The reality is in the manual and from descriptions by those who say it correctly.

I’m not sure the word “Scene” makes it confusing. Most people haven’t encountered that word in regular guitar gear so they really shouldn’t have preconceived notions.

I think it’s how the function is described. It changes channels and on/off. That’s really it. Knowing that a Scene changes channels, if you don’t change channels it is straight forward as to why it isn’t working as expected.

An issue though is that someone doesn’t know what a channel is.

Could/should a Scene just have 8 memories for whatever knob positions? Sure. It’s just now how it works now and it’s possible that there is t enough memory to make that happen.

So we have what we have and we just need to describe it correctly to new users.

People gain stage and use mixers incorrectly all the time for much longer than Fractal has existed. They just need to learn how to do it correctly at some point, and there’s no discussion about how badly designed gain staging is. It’s how it works and we learn to use it.

It's laid out pretty clearly here in the manual:
It is indeed. The issue isn't that it's undocumented. The issue is the term "scenes" is misleading. There is an overwhelming body of evidence that people see that term and think it means something it doesn't. A different metaphor might work better, for example present it as a switcher with 8 patches. I don't know for certain if that would help, but one thing is certain here: a large number of people are confused by scenes. That would seem to indicate there's room for improvement in the way this feature is presented.

Loaded the 7.3 beta with no issues on my macbook pro. Did a show Saturday with no issues. The only thing I've realized when copy/paste my main preset 30 times, the tone or volume may change. I started out with empty preset slots and used the snap shot load up per preset. Each preset has it's own song title. Anyone?
I've noticed it to happen on ALL FIRMWARE updates.
Then probably better to create a thread for this problem and not put it in this beta firmware thread as it's obviously not related to that, and that muddies the waters for actual issues related to the firmware itself.

Scene is a freaking perfect term. It’s a specific configuration or idea within the larger concept. Making excuses for not reading the manual is once again BS. I wish I could be more diplomatic, but it’s just not in me.

Edit:
When deciding to buy the FM3 and I learned I could make slight changes to a preset without having to make a whole new preset was a huge selling point and I was so happy they thought of this. I was going to take it anyway they gave it under any name. It’s quite bizarre we’re fussing over some of this stuff on a Firmware update that has just given us a whole set of relatively consequential features to use.

Last edited:
Wow , any way ,thought it was something to do with firmware or edit ,my bad. I've only been with fractal since the ultra. dont use scenes or channels much . Want a different amp on a preset in scene 2 ,select channel b

The beta runs great for me. I was not expecting to love the Revv models (because I'm not sure I'm the biggest fan of the other channels in the real amp) but the Green channel is great for me. Some Marshall sims get close, but there's still some differences. The Revv green is very, very open somehow.

The dyna cab way is something I'm getting along with fairly well and quite fast. It will be interesting to see if we can also get vendor dyna cabs -- York audio comes to mind.

Also, dyna cabs will make it easy for me to share my tones with people, provided most of my presets before used commercial cabs.

I still like these cabs, don't get me wrong. But I can get pretty much equally good results for my taste (even if a bit different -- cannot exactly nail the nuances of some York IRs I've been using) by dialing in dyna cabs.

The beta runs great for me. I was not expecting to love the Revv models (because I'm not sure I'm the biggest fan of the other channels in the real amp) but the Green channel is great for me. Some Marshall sims get close, but there's still some differences. The Revv green is very, very open somehow.

The dyna cab way is something I'm getting along with fairly well and quite fast. It will be interesting to see if we can also get vendor dyna cabs -- York audio comes to mind.

Also, dyna cabs will make it easy for me to share my tones with people, provided most of my presets before used commercial cabs.

I still like these cabs, don't get me wrong. But I can get pretty much equally good results for my taste (even if a bit different -- cannot exactly nail the nuances of some York IRs I've been using) by dialing in dyna cabs.
York will be doing some but he mentioned likely a few months before they are available to purchase

It is indeed. The issue isn't that it's undocumented. The issue is the term "scenes" is misleading. There is an overwhelming body of evidence that people see that term and think it means something it doesn't. A different metaphor might work better, for example present it as a switcher with 8 patches. I don't know for certain if that would help, but one thing is certain here: a large number of people are confused by scenes. That would seem to indicate there's room for improvement in the way this feature is presented.

I disagree. It's 100% people not reading the manual. You could call it flipamado and people would come here with the same issues.

Hey guys. Beautiful update by Fractal, completely in love with the DynaCab feature.

Would like to hear your opinions on a matter: which DynaCab would you guys use if you were creating a preset with a Carol Ann Tucana 3? Curious to hear different opinions.

@rglr Do you have any clue yet on what could have caused the Input block to not send any output signal after install of FW 7b3?
There must be something done between 6.02 & 7b3 FW that impacted the Input block since both me and Arcalus have the same issue.

I love the new DynaCab feature so far. Beta is working well for me. I could use a couple more cab options down the road and can't wait to hear what @York Audio can bring to the party as I have been using those IRs almost exclusively before DynaCabs.

Played with the DynaCab last night a bit. Very intuitive. I could see this as a great starting point for someone new to IR or wants to dial in a sound quickly. I will play with it some more but this is my first impression. The stock IR's or third party are still a notch up I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom