FM3 Firmware Version 6.00

There’s a question that’s been bouncing around in my head. Is there any difference between loading the latest Factory Presets of June 3 2022 than backing up in Fractal Bot and restoring them? I ask this both because I’m pretty sure I have inadvertently made changes to factory presets and saved/overwritten them and I would like the Factory presets to be original and do what I always do, which is copy a factory to a user spot and make edits on that preset. I also ask just out of curiosity whether there’s a difference just like it was stated that the “upgrade all presets” was not the optimum way.

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance.

Yes. If you load the factory presets then you are going back to the original. If you backup and restore you aren’t changing anything. So if you want to reset them then load the actual factory file. Make sense?

Yes. If you load the factory presets then you are going back to the original. If you backup and restore you aren’t changing anything. So if you want to reset them then load the actual factory file. Make sense?
Thanks much for the confirmation @fcs101 That’s what I thought and makes sense, but sometimes I second guess myself. Also with the whole “saving to flash” thing, I tend to save things all the time. So much that sometimes I save when I don’t necessarily want to. Thanks again.👍

I've just updated to v6.00 and having a few difficulties working with my BOSS EV-5 expression pedal in PEDAL 2 input. I assigned the gain setting to PEDAL 2, and then operated the pedal and the dialogue becomes unresponsive. Close the dialogue and it seems like comms with the FM3 are lost (can't change preset/scene). Yes, as per the IT crowd, I turned it off and on again, and it works until next time I assign the pedal.

I still cannot get the setlist/song selections to work with my FM3 and FC6. For lack of anything better I tried the FM9 layout but that doesn't work. Is there a setlist/songs layout that actually works for the FM3? I know it was in the works but what's the current status?
FM3 Firmware Version 6.00 is now available for download:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm3/6p0/fm3_dsp_rel_6p00.zip

FM3-Edit version 1.05.12 is required for this firmware.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-edit-1-05-12.189688/
NOTE: You must perform a "Refresh After New Firmware" in FM3-Edit to sync with this new firmware

RELEASE NOTES:

NEW AND IMPROVED FEATURES

• Optimizations to reduce CPU. This will vary depending on blocks used and settings.
  • Added Klone Chiron model to the Drive block.
  • Added Griddle Cake model based on Crowther Hot Cake to the Drive block. The “XLF” switch on the pedal can be replicated by turning the Bass Response knob fully CW.
  • Added the following new Amp models:
    • PVH 6160 Block Crunch
    • Diamante Fire based on a Diamond Del Fuego
    • Brit Studio 20 Amp model based on a Marshall SV20H
    • Plexi 50W 6CA7 Jumped
  • New “Cygnus X-2” amp modeling:
    • Improved Amp block output transformer algorithm. New algorithm more accurately models B-H curve resulting in a clearer low end. New algorithm now also accounts for effect of speaker impedance on transformer response.
    • Improved power tube modeling. This yields better dynamics, improved low frequency accuracy and more accurate interaction with output transformer.
    • Improved cathode follower algorithm. Provides more accurate “cleanup” when volume is rolled off.
    • Improved triode algorithm more accurately models plate bypass capacitors.
    • Many amp models have been updated as a result of the aforementioned improvements.
    • Various other improvements.
  • Improved modeling accuracy for following Amp models:
    • Plexi 50W Jumped
    • Plexi 100W Jumped
    • Brit JM45 Jumped
    • 1987X Jumped
    • 1959SLP Jumped
    • Plexi 100W 1970
    • Deluxe Tweed Jumped
    • Two Stone J35 and J35 PAB
    • Fox ODS and ODS Deep
    • Nuclear Tone
    • All Solo 88, 99 and 100 models
    • All Bogfish models
    • All Spawn Q-Rod models
    • All Spawn Nitrous models
    • All Vibrato Verb models
    • All Deluxe Verb models
    • All Double Verb models
    • All Brit 800 models
    • All Brit JVM models
    • All Friedman BE/HBE V2 and V3
    • Friedman Small Box
    • Cornfed M50
  • Drive block improvements. Drive block now incorporates the “Chase Transform Technique” for converting analog networks to equivalent digital filters. This improves accuracy in the high frequency region.
  • New “Block Mixer” algorithm results in faster/quieter scene and channel changes.
  • New Speaker Drive algorithm in Amp block. This new algorithm more accurately models the frequency dependent distortion of guitar loudspeakers. The default value (upon resetting the block) is 2.0 which gives roughly 1 dB of compression. Setting the value to 0.0 defeats the speaker drive modeling. Higher values give a smoother and more focused sound, rounding off the “sharp edges” and yielding greater compression.
  • Added Speaker Thump to Amp block. This models the dynamic, nonlinear behavior of a guitar speaker. A value of 5.0 roughly corresponds to an amp running into a speaker rated at the same power as the amplifier, i.e., a 100W amplifier running into a 100W speaker. The reset value is a conservative 2.5 which represents, i.e., a 50W amp running into a 100W speaker. Note that the majority of the response is in the subsonic region and the effect is primarily tactile. Existing presets are not affected and the value will be zero.
  • Improved Amp block output transformer modeling. This requires updated Transformer LF/HF values for the amp models. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new values upon recall.
  • Changed “Drive” to “Gain” for Amp block preamp gain as this is more consistent with naming in real amps.
  • Added “Overdrive Volume” parameter to Dumble-type amp models (ODS-100, Two Stone, etc.). This is sometimes labeled “Ratio” or “Lead Master”. As the Master Volume on these amps often has a bright capacitor the Overdrive Volume control allows setting the Master Volume higher to counteract the bright cap and then lowering the power amp drive with the Volume.
  • Added “Plate Suppressor Diodes” parameter. This value is set automatically when the amp model is chosen but the user can override the default setting. Most amps do not have suppressor diodes but some do (e.g., Trainwreck Express). These diodes (also called “snubber” or “flyback” diodes) prevent undershoot on the power tube plates due to inductive kick and reduce upper harmonics thereby reducing “fizz”.
  • Improved speaker impedance curve fitting algorithm. This results in more accurate and more “colorful” modeling as the previous algorithm tended to damp box resonances somewhat. All the speaker impedance curves have been updated using the new routine.
  • Added speaker impedance curves:
    • 4x12 Lerxst Omega
    • 1x12 Deluxe Oxford
    • 4x12 Hipower Pete T
    • 4x12 Hipower Lindsey B
    • 4x12 USA Semi-Open
    • 2x12 Dizzy RV
    • 4x12 London Town Tall
    • G12T-75
    • 2x12 Class-A Greenback
    • 2x12 Two Stone 1265
  • Added cross feedback parameters to Quad Parallel type in Multitap Delay block.
  • Increased the range of the Level parameters in Multitap Delay to -100% to +100%.
  • SPDIF output level will no longer be dependent on the volume knob.

FC FEATURES

• Added new Setlists/Songs feature, which can be used with the onboard switches and/or an FC Controller to access presets and scenes in custom order during live performance. A new Setup menu area provides full access from the front panel, with a corresponding new area of FM3-Edit which offering import/export and more. For additional details, please see the Setlists & Songs Mini-Manual, located at: https://www.fractalaudio.com/sss-manual

FIXES

• Fixed wrong coupling capacitor value in 1959SLP Treble, 1959SLP Jumped and 1987x Treble amp models.
  • Fixed wrong resistor value in tone stack of Solo 88 Rhythm and Lead models. Probably not audible though.
  • Fixed low frequency behavior of Recto2 models due to loss of precision.
  • Fixed wrong treble pot taper in CA3+ models.
  • Fixed wrong capacitor value in Friedman HBE V1 Fat model.
  • Fixed wrong resistor value in AC-20 12AX7 models.
  • Fixed wrong Depth knob taper in Archean models.
  • Fixed scale not being set when first attaching a modifier to a LOG parameter.
  • Fixed Bypass grayed out on Reverb EQ page.
  • FC: Layout Link will no longer unduly trigger when exiting the Tuner.
  • FC: Preset: Select in Bank switches now stop flashing when the preset is changed by any means other than an FC footswitch (editor, front panel, etc.)
  • FC: Preset: Select in Bank switches now flash consistently when used with Bank: Select switches.
  • FC: Preset: Toggle in Bank now consistently and correctly loads "Primary" preset after changing the bank.
  • FC: Effect: Channel functions will now work correctly when Effect is set to Controllers.

Is normal the low cut frequency 714 HZ and the 0 position of the knobs in the Jmpre-1 OD1. Previous the 6.00 they wheren't

Attachments

• IMG20221221194710.jpg
    IMG20221221194710.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG20221221194851.jpg
    IMG20221221194851.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 16
I am really digging the Plexi 50W 6CA7 model and I have built a new performance patch based on it that I am going to use live.

This is the first time I am doing any real work with FW 6.00 and I am noticing two things that I normally don't see:
1. If I leave the FM3 for a few hours it will lose connection and then requires a reboot of the unit to re-establish.
2. If I lock SPDIF to the unit, streaming audio on my computer slows down ad stutters.

Is there a corresponding driver update with this release?
Thanks,
Frank

I am really digging the Plexi 50W 6CA7 model and I have built a new performance patch based on it that I am going to use live.

This is the first time I am doing any real work with FW 6.00 and I am noticing two things that I normally don't see:
1. If I leave the FM3 for a few hours it will lose connection and then requires a reboot of the unit to re-establish.
2. If I lock SPDIF to the unit, streaming audio on my computer slows down ad stutters.

Is there a corresponding driver update with this release?
Thanks,
Frank
I have that problem ever since any FW version but seems related to windows timeouts. W8.1 on that engine.

hello,
this version 6.0 sounds marvelously well but I encounter some problems.
The sound buzzes before the output clipping LED lights up.
And I find that on earlier versions of the firmware the volume of the guitar was more progressive. I tested on 4 different guitars and as soon as you barely lower the volume of the guitar you lose a lot of gain.
It was not the case before, I could really control the gain with the volume of the guitar, it was very progressive.
Am I the only one who noticed this change?
Thanks in advance,
Olivier.

hello,
And I find that on earlier versions of the firmware the volume of the guitar was more progressive. I tested on 4 different guitars and as soon as you barely lower the volume of the guitar you lose a lot of gain.
It was not the case before, I could really control the gain with the volume of the guitar, it was very progressive.
Thanks in advance,
Olivier.
Regarding the loss of gain when using the guitar volume, if you read the release notes that is one of the things that they have changed.

Regarding the loss of gain when using the guitar volume, if you read the release notes that is one of the things that they have changed.
Ah ... I did not pay attention to this change in the list.
For my part I preferred before, we could better control the gain with the volume without losing the body of the sound. Now the sound immediately becomes very thin and sharp.

hello,
Thanks in advance,
Olivier.
I am also experiencing digital noise/clipping unlike before

Have 6 installed since mid december and found like there was too much early breakup and consequently a less defined sound.
Have been scrolling a bit through my main presets and corrected input gain of almost all my clean scenes.
Had to lower it close to 20% on my patches using Fender DLR and CA3 amps. Did other people encounter this phenomena ?

POST edit : did not use the "update after new FW function", maybe this ?

^^^ this is an important thing to do with the 6.0 and beta firmwares.

But also did you take note and perform this action:
Post in thread 'FM3 Firmware Version 6.00'
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-firmware-version-6-00.189679/post-2355504
I did that now but it doesn't alter anything. Did other users need to turn down input gain on clean patches after loading FM6 ?
(It's just for my perusal, no sweat to do that and adapt my patches to the new FW of course)

EDIT : so far I only experience this in a sensible way on DLR and CA3+ clean amp. (With Vibrolux the only amps I use for clean scenes)

Last edited:
I did that now but it doesn't alter anything. Did other users need to turn down input gain on clean patches after loading FM6 ?
(It's just for my perusal, no sweat to do that and adapt my patches to the new FW of course)

EDIT : so far I only experience this in a sensible way on DLR and CA3+ clean amp. (With Vibrolux the only amps I use for clean scenes)
Maybe check the Speaker Drive and Speaker Compression as related in the release notes?

Back
Top Bottom