FM3 Firmware Version 5.02 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you explain how this happens “once or twice a week” when the first I’ve seen this problem mentioned is with 5.02b1 and it’s only been out for less than a week. I’m just trying to keep track of actual bugs vs. potential user error. I’m pretty familiar with the firmwares and the issues people have been having. I’ve noticed a slight longer pause before the progress screen appears with 5.02b1, but never had it hang. YET.
This started with 5.01 full release (I didn't do the beta) released on Feb 14. I actually am not beta testing 5.02, I was simply noting that this issue was not listed as something being fixed in this firmware update.

You can see by the date of the bug report I linked that someone reported it five days after that release. If I remember my experience correctly, this happened to me the first time the second day I upgraded (I think I upgraded the day after release), so it probably happened to me at least by Feb 16. When I posted on Feb 23 it had happened to me twice. After that is was somewhat sporadic, but in the last two or three weeks it happens at least once a week, but usually more.

I'm usually the first to assume it is something I'm doing wrong, but in this case, the only user action is turning the unit on, so seems like a low possibility for user error. You can see from the bug report post that there are at least five users reporting it there, and another post shows it happening to a few more folks: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...re-gets-stuck-on-booting.181790/#post-2231274. @Admin M@ piped in on that thread on March 1, so this should have been on folks radar since at least then.

I'll try to shoot a video the next time it hangs. It is definitely not just a pause, it is a hang. Two other details about this hang:
  1. The switch lights never come on (you can see that in the screenshot of the second post). In fact, I now watch the lights when I turn it on, because the moment they come on, I know it is not going to hang.
  2. The fan keeps running. I haven't let this hang for more than a minute or so, so can't be sure if the fan ever stops, but it seems to just stay on.

Let me know if that all makes sense.

Last edited:
So you have installed 5.02b1 and you’re still experiencing the problem?
Can confirm, unfortunately.
This time I've used the "As/Is: A tribute to John Mayer" (FM3 version) preset by @iaresee with a clean 1st scene. This scene is just amp+rev+cab, and the issue is there, loud and clear, via frfr speakers and headphones :(

This started with 5.01 full release (I didn't do the beta) released on Feb 14. I actually am not beta testing 5.02, I was simply noting that this issue was not listed as something being fixed in this firmware update.

You can see by the date of the bug report I linked that someone reported it five days after that release. If I remember my experience correctly, this happened to me the first time the second day I upgraded (I think I upgraded the day after release), so it probably happened to me at least by Feb 16. When I posted on Feb 23 it had happened to me twice. After that is was somewhat sporadic, but in the last two or three weeks it happens at least once a week, but usually more.

I'm usually the first to assume it is something I'm doing wrong, but in this case, the only user action is turning the unit on, so seems like a low possibility for user error. You can see from the bug report post that there are at least five users reporting it there, and another post shows it happening to a few more folks: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...re-gets-stuck-on-booting.181790/#post-2231274. @Admin M@ piped in on that thread on March 1, so this should have been on folks radar since at least then.

I'll try to shoot a video the next time it hangs. It is definitely not just a pause, it is a hang. Two other details about this hang:
  1. The switch lights never come on (you can see that in the screenshot of the second post). In fact, I now watch the lights when I turn it on, because the moment they come on, I know it is not going to hang.
  2. The fan keeps running. I haven't let this hang for more than a minute or so, so can't be sure if the fan ever stops, but it seems to just stay on.

Let me know if that all makes sense.
No need to take it any further for me. I wasn’t questioning the bug or your veracity because more than a few people have mentioned it with this beta release. I just didn’t remember seeing it as an issue in the 5.01 forum thread. I should look at the bug report section more often, but I sort of figure people put it there officially and then speak in more detail in the specific forum threads. Personally I have not experienced it, but that is obviously anecdotal. I didn’t need for you to write a book and now I’m “making sense” of the situation. Thanks!

This time I've used the "As/Is: A tribute to John Mayer" (FM3 version) preset by @iaresee with a clean 1st scene. This scene is just amp+rev+cab, and the issue is there, loud and clear, via frfr speakers and headphones :(
That’s disappointing. It sounded as if it was tracked down and fixed. Thanks for being patient with my questions. Patience and tolerance is hard thing to come by these days. Just ask Chris Rock…😁

So you can either have Smart Bypass or Second Press change to previous channel?

Before Second Press was a thing then the second press with Smart Bypass would bypass the block?

I don't remember as I haven't used Smart Bypass in a long time.
Correct. They are pretty much mutually exclusive. If second press was enabled, you could not bypass an enabled block with Smart Bypass since it would take you to the previous channel first.

Smart Bypass is mostly a second press feature, since you already have to be on the channel the switch is configured for (unless the block is already bypassed).

Weird. I’ll have to double check that on my unit. It was in my test set of presets and I don’t recall any issues. Will check it later tonight.

That’s disappointing. It sounded as if it was tracked down and fixed. Thanks for being patient with my questions. Patience and tolerance is hard thing to come by these days. Just ask Chris Rock…😁
Funny. I was gong to throw in a Chirs Rock statement to your reply to me. Haha. Great minds?

Correct. They are pretty much mutually exclusive. If second press was enabled, you could not bypass an enabled block with Smart Bypass since it would take you to the previous channel first.

Smart Bypass is mostly a second press feature, since you already have to be on the channel the switch is configured for (unless the block is already bypassed).
My only use case in the past was to select a channel and simultaneously engage it with Smart Bypass. So that will still be possible.

Everything sounds a-ok here on my unit. I am, admittedly, on a beta that's slightly newer than everyone else here. But the change delta wouldn't impact anything in the AMP or CAB blocks.

Here's how the Clean/Wet scene sounds for me with single coils:

That's recorded using the FM3's USB output into Logic. No post processing. Sliver Sky on the neck + bridge setting.

Sounds exactly as it should.

Can you record what you're hearing? If you can capture what you're hearing on the USB output that'd be best. If you can't, the problem might be the hardware outputs.

@fremen reported something similar in the beta forum. @rglr will need to take a closer look at this.

Phew ..... glad to know its not just me :) ...... the cranked Timmy 2 into the cranked Tweed was a gloriously rude and crude and red-raw rock lead tone under FW5.01 ........ but sounds totally "borked" in FW 5.02B1 :(

Many thanks,
Ben

Last edited:
Unlikely. The CNFB breakthrough alone is meant to bring further efficiencies in how things are modeled (ie. amp block, drives). https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/the-cnfb-method.180088/
It is possible that they are using the enhanced efficiency of the CNFB method to allow for more iterations of their mathematical method, resulting in a more accurate response using a similar amount of CPU as before. This is purely conjecture though.

It is possible that they are using the enhanced efficiency of the CNFB method to allow for more iterations of their mathematical method, resulting in a more accurate response using a similar amount of CPU as before. This is purely conjecture though.
I'd believe it, as many of my presets went UP in DSP usage; some even to the point of breaking, so this would make sense if the CNFB is supposed to be MORE efficient.

I've had my FC12, since the beta up from 5.00, hang up on me in which I lose the bottom far right switches. I would assume that would be 4, 5, 6. I can regain usage after unplugging the FC12 or rebooting the FM3. I do not get this when my FC12 in plugged into me AXE-FXIII.

Not sure if it is a bug but it has happened everyday since I installed 5.02b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom