FM3 Firmware Version 5.02 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible, given the persistent problems with Version 5, that the firmware has developed to the point that is nearing the edge of the limits of the processing power of the FM3?
I think this statement holds some truth, but within the proper perspective. For instance, I don’t know if “persistent” is the right word. Many issues have been improved as in the Virtual Capo. The few relatively tiny bugs will very likely be ironed out. It only stands to reason that at some point continuous parity with the AxeFxIII will become impossible if FAS keep pushing the power of the AxeFXIII

I've had my FC12, since the beta up from 5.00, hang up on me in which I lose the bottom far right switches. I would assume that would be 4, 5, 6. I can regain usage after unplugging the FC12 or rebooting the FM3. I do not get this when my FC12 in plugged into me AXE-FXIII.

Not sure if it is a bug but it has happened everyday since I installed 5.02b
I get weird hang ups at random times using my FM3 with FC-6. Definitely an ongoing problem for me on FW 4 and 5. I haven't loaded the latest beta yet.

Can someone check the 2 files I have zipped just to make sure I am hearing things as intended. It is the same patch but 1 with the 5.0 beta and the other with latest beta.
With the latest beta I feel that the decay of chords there is some modulation in the trails which maybe down to the new power amp algorithms.

If that is intended that is fine but just want to make sure.

It is a 1987 plexi amp

Attachments

• 5.02 beta.zip
    6.4 MB · Views: 4
Is it possible, given the persistent problems with Version 5, that the firmware has developed to the point that is nearing the edge of the limits of the processing power of the FM3?
Every Fractal Audio product has always been able to run at the edge of the limits. What you're seeing here is that upticks in terms of features and quality don't come for free.

Every Fractal Audio product has always been able to run at the edge of the limits. What you're seeing here is that upticks in terms of features and quality don't come for free.
I am glad that the sound quality is improving. But will everyone be satisfied with a perfect preset consisting only of input, amp, cab and output? 😁
I am still counting on optimization and expandability of the presets.

CPU has not changed for me, still running...

2 Inputs, 2 Outputs, Wah, Amp, Mixer, Cab (2 standard IR's), Pan/Trem, Pitch, Send, Return, 2 Delays, Multi-Delay, Vol/Pan, Plex-Delay, and 3 Shunts, along with automated Tempo from Ableton LIVE, 2 Stand-In Switches, an Envelope Follower, a LFO, the Arpeggiator, 2 Gates and 2 GEQ's (via the I/O's), and a few Control Switches.

...all of this at 77% - 78% CPU on average, with 81% - 82% peak on one Scene with the Pitch Block doing smart harmony, and the FM3 is stable on all Scenes.

Last edited:
I've been playing with the Dirty Shirley model from a preset I had and there seems a bit of a difference in the power amp modeling compared to 5.0 beta. The new 5.02 beta seems more scooped in sound

Attached are 2 file one from 5.0 beta and 5.02 beta. Each file has same chords played twice once with power amp on and then off.
5.02 there seems difference in volume between the power amp and non power amp setting.
Hard to say if 5.02 is behaving as it should.

Attachments

• 5.02 beta Dirty Shirley.zip
    6.4 MB · Views: 5
Why not just play guitar and let Fractal worry about the bits and bytes and processing limitations?
I simply posited a possible explanation for why version 5 remains in beta with "persistent" (non-ending) reports of odd behavior and increased CPU usage. I can't recall a previous version being this problematic, that's all.

It was a plausible hypothesis, albeit just from a very long-time Fractal customer/user and not, admittedly, a code expert.

I can let Fractal worry about the "bits and bytes" while still exercising free speech and exchange of ideas.

Last edited:
Previous to this beta, I recall Fractal making changes that actually reduced CPU usage on the FM3. Just the yin/yang of product development in my opinion.

This Beta has far more Improvements than Bug Fixes, so I'm not sure on what basis you're claiming that there are 'persistent' reports. Personally (and this is just 1 anecdotal example), I haven't had issues with version 5.

I simply posited a possible explanation for why version 5 remains in beta with "persistent" (non-ending) reports of odd behavior and increased CPU usage. I can't recall a previous version being this problematic, that's all.

It was a plausible hypothesis, albeit just from a very long-time Fractal customer/user and not, admittedly, a code expert.

I can let Fractal worry about the "bits and bytes" while still exercising free speech and exchange of ideas.
I'm actually seeing more reports of smooth operation, sound improvements, and no glitches or issues with this beta than most. Also, this beta has been out for a very brief period of time in terms of bringing it to full general release. Not to suggest that you are being purposefully hyperbolic, but honestly this has been a very smooth and brief beta by most standards. Generally there are reports of significant issues in the first couple pages of a beta thread that need to be addressed. Outside of some pitch behavior and increased CPU (which is not a glitch or a bug) this release seems extremely clean and stable.

It’s really weird how the general cultural atmosphere is dominated by some people who seem really bent on controlling the discussion and narrative. It really cracks me up when it comes to very specific and discreet public forums like guitar modeling. It’s like they think there’s a finite amount of “bits and bytes” and internet bandwidth and it’s going to become scarce. Even if there is in fact a finite amount, a few extra posts on this forum is inconsequential and I’m pretty sure cyberspace can manage.🙄

I just was given a ding on another thread for posting what one member felt should be a dead topic.

No. The units are designed to have some extra capacity, plus Cliff will remove less important features in order to preserve sound quality. That’s why the FM3 doesn’t have all the capabilities of the bigger units.

I'm actually seeing more reports of smooth operation, sound improvements, and no glitches or issues with this beta than most. Also, this beta has been out for a very brief period of time in terms of bringing it to full general release. Not to suggest that you are being purposefully hyperbolic, but honestly this has been a very smooth and brief beta by most standards. Generally there are reports of significant issues in the first couple pages of a beta thread that need to be addressed. Outside of some pitch behavior and increased CPU (which is not a glitch or a bug) this release seems extremely clean and stable.
The boot up failure issue is not a small bug.

The JVM sounds great. No boot up issues here and the CPU limits verses the way the amps sound now are not an issue for me. I was able to make some adjustments to cover the increase.

Does anyone else has problems with stand-in switches? I need to investigate further, but it appears that for me only tuner options set in the FC Controller Setup work. Wasn’t a problem on 5.01.
I‘ll give it a more in depth check tomorrow and if necessary will open a bug-thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom