FM3 Firmware Version 5.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I figured it out. If I set the Cathode Follower Compression to anything over 0 it knocks the gain way down. Setting it to 0 and it is back to (almost) normal. Seems like something didn’t convert this setting correctly when updating to the new firmware. Just FYI for the dev crew. This is with the Class A 30W AC30 model Going from release 5b1 to the née 5.0.

1644636658050.png

Last edited:
Anybody else seeing significant CPU increase from beta 1? Is that the cnfb? On 5.0 I had to take my reverb from normal to eco, and I still hit the warning light sometimes.

Anybody else seeing significant CPU increase from beta 1? Is that the cnfb? On 5.0 I had to take my reverb from normal to eco, and I still hit the warning light sometimes.
Yeap but it seems to me that the Pitch block drives it up more than beta1. At least as far as my tinkering goes.

One of the overall best parts of using FAS the past 8 years is If you don't like a firmware update then go back to what felt and sounded best for you. With that being said, I did the update C5.0 and used it live tonight for the 1st set. :(
Just didn't do it for us. 2nd set i went back to Ares 3.01 and everything was great for me and the band along with the sound engineer.
My amps used has always been these two,
Friedman BE V2 for dirty with amp block boost for solos .
Shiva for clean amp with output compression added.
This was not the first time i did a update at a gig. Haha
Just shows how much faith i have in FAS . 8 years of never an issue on stages. Thanks guys for the countless hours of creating these units!

One of the overall best parts of using FAS the past 8 years is If you don't like a firmware update then go back to what felt and sounded best for you. With that being said, I did the update C5.0 and used it live tonight for the 1st set. :(
Just didn't do it for us. 2nd set i went back to Ares 3.01 and everything was great for me and the band along with the sound engineer.
My amps used has always been these two,
Friedman BE V2 for dirty with amp block boost for solos .
Shiva for clean amp with output compression added.
This was not the first time i did a update at a gig. Haha
Just shows how much faith i have in FAS . 8 years of never an issue on stages. Thanks guys for the countless hours of creating these units!
this guy knows how to use gear.

@austinbuddy have you had a listen to your presets in FW5.0? I rely on your superior knowledge (and almost certainly better ears) and get loads on compliments on the road.....do you think any tweaks are needed to the amp blocks? I basically use fender cleans and occaisionally the dumbles and a marshall.

It could be a problem with a single preset. Perhaps its CPU has increased.
Please check the basic boot recovery options on p. 102 of the owner's manual:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/FM3/FM3-Owners-Manual.pdf
When I did the update and powered it down and up trying to reset with the Edit button a few times (waiting 5 seconds before I powered back on), it got stuck showing only the boot FM3 picture and producing fan noise. I put it to rest for an hour and then tried again. Luckilly it worked, jumped right back to the first preset. Checked my own presets and actually the unit sounds a bit different than it used to. Not in a bad way, the presets sound clearer and also the output volume dropped by -5db on all my presets. Well, I compensated and just played for an hour without any issues. I also believe that the root cause of the issue was my own preset that I left it on. Still strange that beta 5.01 had no problems with it and then 5 didn't like it... CPU usage on my preset is around 84%. Anyways, thanks for the help!

It's virtually impossible to brick a Fractal product. All our products feature an "emergency bootloader" that allows booting the unit in the event of a failed firmware update.
I can confirm that's true but you might need to wait maybe half an hour or an hour to have it cool down. I panicked a bit when the reset didn't work right away. Maybe the unit's memory got overloaded and needed some time to offload? I'm not a techie, just guessing.

Hey everyone! finally getting around to updating. So far loving almost everything about it Quick question though... if this has been addressed i havent seen it yet, so i apologize. Can anyone tell me if this is possible please?

QUICK BACKSTORY. I arrange my presets in song/setlist order for my artists, and i use an external switch to bank up 1 (press) bank down 1 (hold) to quickly go song to song. I live in SCENE mode on my FC6 and have song sections labeled INTRO/VERSE/CHORUS etc. I also like having the "second press goes to previous scene" as it can be handy on the fly.

QUESTION PART: With this newest update, my preset will start on INTRO scene. once i step on VERSE scene, it displays what second tap will go back to (INTRO scene) and its driving me mad. Is there a way to disable the label showing your second tap destination? If i use custom labels it affects everrything since im using Live Gold (Austin Buddy). It didn't do that with Firmware 4.01.

Thanks y'all!
I’m having the same issue. It worked fine in the V5 beta 1 and started doing this V5 beta 4. I see it’s still like that in the stable release. It seems to be showing destination and there no way to change it when in “previous scene mode”.

@Admin M@ (or anyone lol) is this a bug?

Everything working great and sounding even better. I have noticed a slight CPU increase on some presets and others seem less. I always make sure to keep the unit on a factory preset when doing updates. I also wait a little longer than 5 seconds to make sure all the caps and memory is fully discharged. Just habit. I also make sure to close FM3-Edit and Fractal Bot. Just another old school quirk. Oh and on Windows I reboot the computer in between uninstalling and installing software like FM3-Edit and Fractal Bot. Another thing that probably isn’t necessary anymore, but just an old habit with Windows. I never have any problems. One other thing that is just a “good mojo” thing. I remove all cables except USB and power when doing updates. I know it’s probably has no effect, but I have seen too many weird things with gear and gizmos in my life so I try to avoid potential issues before they happen.

Last edited:
PSA - if you upgrade to 5.0 and all your sounds are super-way-more-distorted, check the drive level of the preamp in your cab block. Don’t ask me how I know this. ;)

-Aaron
Is there a way to decrease the drive level of the preamp cab block globally? Or do I have to decrease it in every preset I use?

Is there a way to decrease the drive level of the preamp cab block globally? Or do I have to decrease it in every preset I use?
Not that I know of, no. Maybe FracTool does that? Never used it, though.

-Aaron

Edit - see below. Apparently it IS possible in FM3 Edit (as well as FracTool).

Last edited:
FM3 Edit:
„Added Parameter Batch Set functionality. The Parameter Batch Set command can be activated by right-clicking on a parameter while holding down SHIFT to display a context menu and selecting "Set In Multiple Presets". Selecting a sub-menu item will display the Preset Picker from which you can select multiple presets to batch set the parameter value.“

FM3 Edit:
„Added Parameter Batch Set functionality. The Parameter Batch Set command can be activated by right-clicking on a parameter while holding down SHIFT to display a context menu and selecting "Set In Multiple Presets". Selecting a sub-menu item will display the Preset Picker from which you can select multiple presets to batch set the parameter value.“
That’s a nice piece of information. Didn’t know that! Thanks.

I live in SCENE mode
I also like having the "second press goes to previous scene" as it can be handy on the fly.
QUESTION: Is there a way to disable the label showing your second tap destination?
This is a minor bug. When a footswitch is set to show the name of the assigned scene, it should show the name of the assigned scene, regardless of whether or not the "2nd TAP LOADS PREVIOUS SCENE" is turned on. @BryantP can probably fix this very quickly.

Last edited:
So far I was switching scenes one time and it turned into something that sounded like i rolled my guitar tone all the way down and whatever else haha just turned badddddd. Normal preset i usually use. Then when i rebooted to get things working again my usb connection stopped working until i turned it off and back on again. Kinda weird idk

So far I was switching scenes one time and it turned into something that sounded like i rolled my guitar tone all the way down and whatever else haha just turned badddddd. Normal preset i usually use. Then when i rebooted to get things working again my usb connection stopped working until i turned it off and back on again. Kinda weird idk
I should add the unit also froze when the weird tone knob rolled off sound thingy happened

Great update! Everything sounds fantastic. Only tweak I had to make was to raise the volume a bit on all presets. But the core sound is perfect. I also love the little red line on the mini tuner. Genius. And I have taken the plunge and added the Virtual Capo to presets that need it, and I think it sounds great, as good as my Drop pedal. Certainly down 1-2 semitones is fine. Down 3-4 is Ok, but still about the same as the Drop pedal. I'm a happy camper for sure. Great work FAS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom