FM3 Firmware Version 4.00 beta 3

Users experiencing fan always on check your DSP temperature. You can access the Temperature by going to Setup/Utilities/Version.

The normal fan operation is:
For a fan to run constantly the temperature of DSP should reach 60C which triggers the fan to run till the temperature is dropped to 55C.

For a constant high speed fan running a temperature of DSP should reach 70C. Once the DSP cools down to 60C fan should enter normal speed and continue at that speed until DSP cools down to below 55C.

What is not normal (probably a bug in the firmware) is to have the fan cycle on and off and idle in short bursts (several seconds) at DSP temperatures below 55C. Or run constantly at temperatures below 55C.

One thing: the tuner is randomly turning on, sometimes out of nowhere, and sometimes in response to me turning on a real Keely Fuzz Head I have in front of the FM3...
Do you have the tuner assigned to a switch? If so, maybe it's stuck/sticky?

Also getting the internal chirping from unit itself.

This was helpful, in my electronic professional opinion that chirping is a two (or three) part issue:
1. The firmware update has caused the processor(s) to run a little warmer and possibly combined with a different threshold being introduced to the temp/cooling system. (When it engages or not) has the fans running more often.
2. As high quality the FAS products are, these little cooling fans are all made in places where quality control can be questionable and it appears some of the fans on units are not as mechanically stable and are physically rubbing the fan housing due to oscillation imbalance, especially at higher speeds. Since the fans are now running more the likelihood of finding some units with less than perfect fans is being revealed.

disclaimer:
…then again I could be totally wrong!

This was helpful, in my electronic professional opinion that chirping is a two (or three) part issue:
1. The firmware update has caused the processor(s) to run a little warmer and possibly combined with a different threshold being introduced to the temp/cooling system. (When it engages or not) has the fans running more often.
2. As high quality the FAS products are, these little cooling fans are all made in places where quality control can be questionable and it appears some of the fans on units are not as mechanically stable and are physically rubbing the fan housing due to oscillation imbalance, especially at higher speeds. Since the fans are now running more the likelihood of finding some units with less than perfect fans is being revealed.

disclaimer:
sounds like a very plausible diagnosis imo, I'd like to think that the fans used have sealed bearings so they would remain quiet regardless, if not then that may explain the noise anomalies. im on beta1 still my unit dose not get past 130 when I use it so no fans/ noises.

sounds like a very plausible diagnosis imo, I'd like to think that the fans used have sealed bearings so they would remain quiet regardless, if not then that may explain the noise anomalies. im on beta1 still my unit dose not get past 130 when I use it so no fans/ noises.
I agree. But I have seen these cooling fans be very hit or miss depending on where they’re sourced. As a side, I have an electronics background (R&D), but am totally new to Fractal and only receiving my FM3 about 2 weeks ago I haven’t even considered opening up the unit to see what incredible engineering is inside. Like how the fan(s) are oriented, etc.. I loaded beta 4b the other day with no issues. I’m hoping to tackle beta 4c with the presets today.

Didn't have any fan issues. Only with the latest upload of the beta firmware (the one uploaded to fix fan issue) did fan begin to ramp on, often, on my fm3. I'll go back to the previous version of this beta.

Still puzzled on how some units have problems while others don’t. All while using the same firmware. Hmmmmm….

Users experiencing fan always on check your DSP temperature. You can access the Temperature by going to Setup/Utilities/Version.

The normal fan operation is:
For a fan to run constantly the temperature of DSP should reach 60C which triggers the fan to run till the temperature is dropped to 55C.

For a constant high speed fan running a temperature of DSP should reach 70C. Once the DSP cools down to 60C fan should enter normal speed and continue at that speed until DSP cools down to below 55C.

What is not normal (probably a bug in the firmware) is to have the fan cycle on and off and idle in short bursts (several seconds) at DSP temperatures below 55C. Or run constantly at temperatures below 55C.
Seeing fan bursts with fairly low temp (on latest upload of firmware).

disclaimer:
I could be completely wrong, but the sound coming from mine does not sound anything like the sound of the fan when it’s running. And it doesn’t sound like it’s coming from the same area as the fan. But since others are experiencing issues with the fan, I suppose this could be related.

I could be completely wrong, but the sound coming from mine does not sound anything like the sound of the fan when it’s running. And it doesn’t sound like it’s coming from the same area as the fan. But since others are experiencing issues with the fan, I suppose this could be related.
Yes, let me say that I was replying to the specific sound in video supplied. Others noise issues may be totally unrelated to fans. I must say that I noticed what seemed to be a type of RF/digital hash on some presets with Beta 4 rev.2. I never loaded rev.1. Went from 3.02 Ares. It almost seems like the input was picking up some sort of stray input that was then trying to be processed, but didn’t know what to with it. This was all within the signal internally not an audible noise that could be heard from the unit itself. It was little ticking sounds that disappeared when all input from the guitar was stopped for a period of time. Like 5 –10 seconds.

Troubleshooting electronics must/should be done in a very methodical way. Unfortunately, forums like this can deteriorate into a “throwing darts blindfolded“ type of thing. With all respect to everyone’s efforts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom