FM3 Firmware Version 4.00 beta 3

some of the issues this and prior do seem to be happening to only certain units
mine is an original no phones and i have not experienced blank strips
freezing etc , i wonder if the test unit is an original or recent batch

I have the original non headphone unit and had experienced none of the listed issues until this last update.

Now I have the fan issue, but still none of the others.

What is the normal (not talking about the beta issues which may cause the fan running constantly) criterium for the fan to start running? Does it depend on the CPU load within a preset or does it depend on the temperature of the unit?

What is the normal (not talking about the beta issues which may cause the fan running constantly) criterium for the fan to start running? Does it depend on the CPU load within a preset or does it depend on the temperature of the unit?
Most likely temperature. CPU load can cause the chip to heat up, just as putting the unit in the sun, and both will cause the fan to come on. That’s the way all units I’ve had behaved.

The lyrics to Rawhide came to mind with this announcement …

Rollin' rollin' rollin'
Rollin' rollin' rollin'
Rollin' rollin' rollin'
Rollin' rollin' rollin'
Rawhide
Keep rollin', rollin', rollin'
Though the streams are swollen
Keep them dogies rollin', rawhide
Through rain and wind and weather
Hell bent for leather
Wishin' my gal was by my side
All the things I'm missin'
Good vittles, love and kissin'
Are waiting at the end of my ride
Move 'em on, head 'em up
Head 'em up, move 'em on
Move 'em on, head 'em up, rawhide
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
Ride 'em in, cut 'em out
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in, rawhide
Keep movin', movin', movin'
Though they're disapprovin'
Keep them dogies movin', rawhide
Don't try to understand 'em
Just rope 'em, throw, and brand 'em
Soon we'll be livin' high and wide
My heart's calculatin'
My true love…

“Doggies” being the new versions of course.
Great TV theme song. I wonder if it was ever released as a single.

No fan issues here , although i tried loading the new factory presets with fractal bot and it wouldn't do anything, other than that my Friedman presets scream !!!! BITCHIN' !!!

Most likely temperature. CPU load can cause the chip to heat up, just as putting the unit in the sun, and both will cause the fan to come on. That’s the way all units I’ve had behaved.
I live in Baltimore, so I'm more worried about the effect of ridiculously high humidity. That and the crime rate and the rats and so on.

Thanks, I expected this answer but then it has to be a software issue as many users report that the fan is running without having a high temperature.

Really enjoying the update here. Immediately heard and felt the improvement in the amp modeling.

One thing: the tuner is randomly turning on, sometimes out of nowhere, and sometimes in response to me turning on a real Keely Fuzz Head I have in front of the FM3...

On the earlier beta, fan issue was relatively immediately noticeable, on my desk for updating, with relatively low ambient temperature. Didn’t stay on, but would start up, seemingly randomly and shut off again.

On Beta 3 I get the clicking which I attributed to an electronic relay noise, but for all I know could have been from the fan. Almost like cell phone interference in speakers, but with none attached. It was worrisome so I turned it off and will revert to earlier Cygnus beta for now.

Is there a batch number we can dig up and provide Fractal? Mine is one of the headphone jack-less early units. I’m on the Denver grid.

I don’t have presets I need to save on that unit and could do a full reset of the system, but obviously I don’t want to do that without cause to do so.

Last edited:
Just installed the new Beta 3 and I do not hear anything like a chirping noise or the fan. Everything is dead quiet and sounds great 🙂 is the chirping noise only hearable in the audio signal of Out 1 or Out 2 or from the device itself?

I noticed on the AX8 when using the Tuner while on a heavily distorted preset the signal was flat with no Distortion , on the FM3 when i engage the tuner its still heavily distorted, is this normal? I kinda like it flat without the Distortion if that makes sense

Just updated to beta 3 and for the first time I have something odd.
There is a chirpping sound coming from the unit. Also I can smell the typical 'hot' electronic smell coming out of the unit, never happened before.
My unit is from august, US... Going back to Beta 2 (Temp is just 38°c).

I don’t think it’s about temperature.

I updated to 4b3 -> fan always on

Reverted to 4b2 in the time it takes to downgrade and the fan is always off.

I don’t think the FM3 cooled enough in 2 minutes to give the sensor a different input.

I’ll try it all again tomorrow and report the temperature.

Back
Top Bottom