FM3 Firmware Version 4.00 beta 2

Updated to 4.b2 and no issues at all. With B1 I got some random issues with the footswitch LCD displays but not appeared in B2. For my bunch of presets, I reset the amp block as instructed and noticed when doing so the settings did change slightly on the amps, no big deal and this gave me the opportunity to tweak the eq, power amp settings, volume of the amps and gain which resulted in better presets. Overall, no issues. Everything sounds amazing but again I will say I do use my FM3 in a fairly basic way. My FM3 is one without a headphone socket and is working beautifully with B2.

Cygnus is the way the signal is processed, so every patch will be Cygnus.
The preset is a set of parameter. A preset made for ares could differ from a cygnus one both in parameter and value: if you search in the release note you will find new or removed parameter references. Moreover, same value of a parameter may have a different impact in different firmware, so auditioning your preset to adjust the sound to your taste, and save them.
Thx Smilzo, Clear and fast answer. Many thanks from Belgium, Rudy

hello there,
I'm facing a strange "issue" in beta 2
when I change preset, scenes or FC layout, I can hear a strange crackle inside FM3 (sound similar to the HDD in Laptop). I know that there is no HDD but flash memory. I rollback to 3.03 beta 1 and no noise at all.
The noise lasts just for 0,5 sec and only when preset is changing. I think is something related to LED below FC.
Did you faced a similar thing?
Thanks a lot.

With 4.00 B2 I’ve experienced some issues with footswitch lcd labels going out on the FM3. Turning unit off and then back on fixes the issue. Haven’t been able to replicate it, unfortunately, it just appears to happen randomly.

Really loving the CA3+ and Euro Uber presets on Cygnus! No issues here so far either. I have an earlier non-HP jack model.

Gigged Saturday night and ran sound for a Veteran's Benefit yesterday for 6 bands, 3 of which (including us) used my FM3 with 4.02 beta. I have always received plenty of compliments for my Fractal tone (disclosure statement - many of my patches are from Fremen's amp pack and also from Moke's store, both are fabulous) but the past two nights are record breaking for compliments (for me, anyways). Was great to hear several genres while I am out front using my rig - a country band, pop band and a hard rock band - and all of them sounded absolutely amazing. Cygnus clearly has more of a chug to it, it is obvious to my ears that it is thicker with that high gain 'chug'. I can hear it via my simple (TurboSound) monitors on stage, too. Nice and thick. I've been using Fractal back to AxeII, AxIII, AX8 and now the FM3 is my primary gigging unit - and this firmware update, beta and all, is the most profound in my 8 years or so of using it. I can honestly say it wasn't overhyped (by anyone, Fractal or the community). It's a big one, I am quite thrilled from a live sound perspective. As a heavy-gigging player and a guy who runs sound often for many bands, I can this - well done, guys.

Strange that some have problems while other have no problems…. Wonder if it’s a certain batch of the units made or whether the units have a headphone Jack or not? Maybe documenting the units having problems and units not having problems may get to the source. Maybe what type of computer is used for updating. Just a thought

I dont run out 2 - I Copy L/R, run mono, send left Out 1 to the board, and, if needed, I send right Out 1 to my second input on my floor monitor. That works well for me, personally. Simply, easy, clean, fast, and, to my ears, sounds amazing for a wide genre setlist. I like easy. So I haven't experienced some of the issues I have read about here. My experience only,

Potential Matchbox DC-30 bug. The B+ meter continuously pulses while the patch is being played and when idle (not being played). Turning the B+ up or down has no affect. Noticing lots of ghost notes. Is this normal behavior for the B+ parameter/meter? The pulse is rapid and fluctuates between -4 and +4 at extremes, but is otherwise random in it's fluctuation.

Currently in 4.01, but wondering if this behavior is normal before attempting to fix by installing 4.02 due to other bugs reported, such as fan noise and mini lcd issues.

I made a video of the problem. How can I share that?
You'll need to post it on YouTube or some other video sharing platform and post a link.

However, since you don't have 10 posts on the forum you won't be able to post a link unless a moderator updates your account.

I uploaded on Fractal audio discord channel.
under FM3 session
Hi Alu, I did setup the unofficial discord and ran it for 5 years now. It never caught on and I was the only one helping people there. I recently have shut down my AxeFxTutorials website and haven’t had time to help people on the forum like before.

So I will be shutting down the Discord as I unfortunately can’t help anyone anymore and can’t moderate it. This forum is the best place to ask for help.

The problem you mentioned has been reported by many others and I believe the developers are aware of it.

here is the video from Discord:

Hi Alu, I did setup the unofficial discord and ran it for 5 years now. It never caught on and I was the only one helping people there. I recently have shut down my AxeFxTutorials website and haven’t had time to help people on the forum like before.

So I will be shutting down the Discord as I unfortunately can’t help anyone anymore and can’t moderate it. This forum is the best place to ask for help.

The problem you mentioned has been reported by many others and I believe the developers are aware of it.

here is the video from Discord:

Hi Chris, really sorry to hear that.
You are very helpfull everytime people ask for help.
Thanks for support you gave to me. I really appreciate it

This problem was a headache for me also.
I have fixed it.
My solution is, step by step:
1- back up of presets, cabs, layouts of the firmware I am going to leave (I skip system backup, not necessary for this)
2- reset system parameters (FM3 unit>Setup>Utilities>Reset page>ResetSystemParameters)
3-install new firmware
4-after rebooting the unit, reset system parameters again
5-set manually again all system parameters (only import layouts)

This solution has worked for me perfectly for 3.03 beta1, 4.00 beta 1 and 4.00 beta 2. In fact, I will always install firmware in this way.

It's important to remark step 5: if you import system parameters from a backup, the problems can be imported too. So it's important to set manually the system configuration.

Finally: to do step 5 it's important to have a list of what parameters must be changed. Not necessary to have a list of all parameters of the unit (a lot). It's only necessary to have the list of what parameters must be changed from default values (when reset system parameters all parameters are set to default).

I did the list like this:
First, I took a picture of every page of the setup menu in the unit (scrolling down also for the largest pages). These pictures show the parameters you want to have in the system. So, these pictures are taken before resetting the system parameters.
Once I had the pictures, I reset the system parameters, and I navigated again through the menus of the unit and compare them with the pictures. The parameters that are not coincident is the parameters you should be aware to change from default values. You can write that parameters in a list, and/or highlight in the pictures.

Once this list is done, you just have to focus on that list parameters when doing step 5 every time you reset the system.

Example: In I/O menu, Audio page, I only change the USB 3,4 Playback destination to Output 2. This is the picture I have, with a red rectangle around the parameter:
View attachment 83929

I wonder if FAS should recommend reset system parameters before/after installing in the release notes.
It may also be interesting to have a checkbox in fractal-bot when installing firmware, asking for installing the firmware with a clean installation. resetting everything.
I tried this, it doesn't work. Painstakingly went thru your steps as outlined. #1 mini LCD went blank before I could even load my layouts back in

hello there,
I'm facing a strange "issue" in beta 2
when I change preset, scenes or FC layout, I can hear a strange crackle inside FM3 (sound similar to the HDD in Laptop). I know that there is no HDD but flash memory. I rollback to 3.03 beta 1 and no noise at all.
The noise lasts just for 0,5 sec and only when preset is changing. I think is something related to LED below FC.
Did you faced a similar thing?
Thanks a lot.
Yep, same here. It is most likely the fan that is activated shortly while switching as an unwanted sideeffect.

Back
Top Bottom