FM3 Firmware Version 4.00 beta 1

I don't have time to spend tweaking all of my current presets, only to have to do that again later down the line!
Over the lifespan of a Fractal product, this tends to be required again and again as it evolves. You either embrace it and get good at re-tweaking, or stick with the previous gen product.

I'll never have to re-tweak presets on my AX-8 again! It's good to go, just doesn't sound quite as amazing as my FM3 :)

No argument here on that. There is most definitely an impact on shaping an amp's tone.,
That said, I have yet to find a speaker or IR that can turn a Diezel into a Vox, though,
or vice versa. :)
For me, it's this: with what I'm doing the difference between a Diezel and a Mesa at the end of the day is super small, but the difference between different cabs is huge (or, different IRs from the same cab).

Im my opinion you can indeed take the Marshall out a of Marshall to a large degree or render a CarolAnn unrecognizable for example-
and do it all with speakers and cabs.
But we can go around in circles for days here and it’s already been done by those far more knowledgable about what really goes on.
And I do believe you are correct that a 95% difference is far fetched for an IR swap- I just find it difficult to ever under estimate the impact that a cab/speaker swap can have on some amps. It can be absurd and beyond belief.

I would think most would agree, especially here. Auditioning IR's proves the point. The changes are massive in some cases, to where you would never guess they were the same amp unless you knew. I have built my own amps for years. Nothing special, just adding my own seasoning to classic designs. I have always had the opinion that the speakers and cabinet are a very sizeable piece of the picture. It's just a fact. 95% is a stretch. But I would say 40% of an amps character is the speaker cabinet. In a tube amp, the power section reacts to the speakers, and the speakers react to the amp. The are as important as the amp itself. I think it's great. Before going with Fractal, I had at the most maybe 4 cab choices. And look what I have now. It's ridiculous. Haha!

Limited play time, but so far 4.00 b1 is problem free.

On my current recording guitars will be Ares and bass will be Cygnus. (Was 70% done with tracking when Cygnus dropped.) They're already sounding like they'll play nice together.

Is the low output of Output 2 a universal thing? Is there anyone who isn't having the issue? Curious if I should bring mic cables to rehearsal and use Output 1 until the next FW update...
I think it’s only an issue if you use the Copy Out 1-2 function ( which I do).
I’m sure it’ll be fixed next release.

I think it’s only an issue if you use the Copy Out 1-2 function ( which I do).
I’m sure it’ll be fixed next release.
Oh wait... I do use that function. So is EVERYONE who does that having that issue? That is, it's a known bug, as well as universal, right?

For me, it's this: with what I'm doing the difference between a Diezel and a Mesa at the end of the day is super small, but the difference between different cabs is huge (or, different IRs from the same cab).
So what's different it's not the cab. It's the RECORDING process of a cab (distance, point, angle, ambient, type of transudcer, & so on).

I've done several presets with Mesa, Diezel, Engl, FAS modern that sounds very similar when using the same IRs.
Only choosing different IRs make them sound really different.
And that's for sure not because the amp modeling is bad.

I've used the same physical cab for years with several amps and modelers and so I got also "my" sound every time.

But now I use FRFR and 2 selfmade fullrange cabs because I now want some difference when using different IRs.

I have run into a strange problem. After loading in 4.00b1 the lower-right LED for switch #1 (if illuminated) stays green. No matter which color I switch it to, that one LED stays green. I tried rebooting and no difference. I tried re-loading the firmware and the problem persists. But if the LED's for that switch turn off, it turns off. Just a coincidence that I just loaded up the new beta firmware and it is just a defective LED?

So what's different it's not the cab. It's the RECORDING process of a cab (distance, point, angle, ambient, type of transudcer, & so on).
For me it can be either / both. An sm57 at the same position on a Mesa OS vs an sm57 on a Marshall greenback sounds remarkably different (to me, at least).

I hesitated on jumping in on this discussion, it's certainly been brought up lots of times before, in lots of places...but...against my better judgment:

If IR's were solely responsible for the overwhelming vast majority of the sound...why are we all throwing 100's or 1000's of $$$ away? We could all just use the cheapest tone boxes available, throw the sounds through IR loaders, and call it a day, could we not?

I'm not insinuating that some people are outright saying it in those exact words, but that's how it sometimes comes across...ahhh, the joy of online forums and sometimes inherent misinterpretations of statements...

YES - the IR's are obviously SUPER DUPER important, but the amp modeling obviously matters as well. I can definitely attest that even with the same IR's, there was a night and day difference for me switching over to the AX8 initially from another product...

Anyway, now that I've probably unnecessarily added my 0.02 - I like what I've heard from 4.00 beta 1 so far, but have personally decided to stick with 3.03b for now. I just love the AustinBuddy LiveGold pack so much that I'm willing to wait for ALL of it to be Cygnus-updated (yes, I'm aware that Bank 1 was updated). That said, well done, FAS!!!

Keyboard warriors - please be nice.
Nah, people just jump to extremes by default. Realistically it's closer to a 50/50, but it could tip slightly in either direction.

For example, I initially planned on running my FM3 into a Katana as a cheap way to amplify that I already had. But turned out I didn't love the speaker in it. Like any other speaker, it has its own sound to it and it really was noticeable on EVERY amp model I ran in it.

So in reality the speaker/cab is always a huge part of the tone you end up at and IRs are no different. There are plenty of professional engineers that would tell you that the speaker cab is more important than the amp, but they are by no means going to say the amp doesn't matter because that's also nonsense.

Yes agree.
With my post I only want to say that you can get similar sound with different amps with the same cab or IR.
Sure if I leave them on default values they sound different.
So it is the combination of amp and IR or cab that makes the sound and they are equally important.
That's all🎸

Possible BUG here - well, the scribble strips thing - just had the right hand button on my FM3 go blank on me, reboot etc solved it, not a biggy but I know it was an issue in 3.02.

Preset was fairly maxxed CPU-wise (82% but stable audio-wise) so not sure if that has a bearing on it?

I may have missed it, but did anyone indicate whether FM3 would have new factory presets for Cygnus? I would really like to try them when they’re available. I didn’t spend much, if any, time with the Ares factory presets before getting the Austinbuddy live gold, so I’m kind of excited to try new ones if/when they drop.

I may have missed it, but did anyone indicate whether FM3 would have new factory presets for Cygnus? I would really like to try them when they’re available. I didn’t spend much, if any, time with the Ares factory presets before getting the Austinbuddy live gold, so I’m kind of excited to try new ones if/when they drop.
I'm not sure if it's been said, but I can't imagine them NOT releasing new FM3 presets.

I'm assuming new banks soon, released right before or along with 'final' FM3 4.00 Cygnus firmware.

Back
Top Bottom