FM3 Firmware Version 4.00 beta 1

Possible glitch, when selecting foot switch 3 the display occasionally goes blank. This resolves once the unit is turned off then back on. Really liking the Cygnus update!

A few days ago I finally got over the hump with the FM3. Had a Dirty Shirley preset with varying levels of gain. Brought my setup to a band mates house where it’s no problem to get on it at good volume levels. That day I had the best guitar tones I have ever had in my hands and that’s saying a lot. Since I’m an old F’r I’ve been around awhile and have managed to use many good tube amps. But now I’m on board with the Fractal modelers and I think these things are the best guitar gadgets ever made.
So I was all excited about the Cygnus. Now to be fair I haven’t had much time on it and not at decent volume levels but I still can’t get my Shirley preset back to where I like it. I’ll get it back I know but still a little buzzkill. On the upside, I watched Leon Todd’s video on the Band Commander and that thing sounds awesome. I tried it pre Cygnus and wasn’t impressed with it. To be fair with that, I didn’t know what I was doing yet when I 1st tried it. This thing has a learning curve but there’s a ton of support on this forum, an innovative company that pays attention, YouTube, and the guys like Yek who apparently dedicate a LOT of time to this tonal phenomenon called Fractal modeling. I’m happy to be aboard. Will be happier when I get my Shirley back.

Occasionally got one of the mini displays blank or faded or shortly black striped.
After rebooting gone but happens again.
Only when using the 3 footswitches.
Not via FM3 Edit.
I also had the right mini display get really faded. Worked fine after restarting.

Possible FM3 Edit Issue:

In managing presets I have experienced random behavior in terms of the way presets are saved. I re-downloaded the newest version of FM3 Edit and restarted the unit and still had the issue. I lost several presets last night that were erased even though I had them laid out in new blocks. I recreated the behavior this morning - again, the manager saved presets to blocks where I had not put them, randomly - after backing up the new presets I created. I was also seeing different presets in the actual unit vs on FM3 edit. I was able to get the Preset Manager to work correctly after a second attempt following a failed attempt this morning. Anyone else have issues with the Manage Presets function in the new FM3 Edit? Thanks!

Press Refresh in Manage Presets before executing any command, or have Axe-Edit do that automatically by checking the appropriate checkbox in Preferences.
Got it - Thanks for the clarification. I'll let you know if I have any further issues. Cheers!

Cygnus sounds Awesome! The drive sounds bigger and smoother, the overall sound seems more even with fewer hard notes, the pick attack articulation is stunning. Honestly it's amazing.

I have a question though. I run an HXFX unit in a kind of 4cm method with the FM3. I plug into the HXFX, go to Fm3's input, output 2 back to HXFX and then back to Fm3 through input2. After cygnus I seem to be noticing a kind of "tone suck" when I plug into the HXFX and then go into input 1 of the FM3. This doesn't seem to happen if I only have the HXFX in the the FM3's loop. I also do not have any fx block on in the HXFX. Just plugging into the hxfx then into the FM3. It losses a bit of top end and clarity. This didn't happen before cygnus. The volume drops a little bit too. Could it simply be that the HXFX can't keep up with the fidelity of cygnus or is it that I need to adjust some parameters to compensate for the HXFX going into the fm3 and not just my guitar? Anyone else noticed anything similar after cygnus?

26 pages already.. and 90% of all questions could be answered with "If you have to ask this, you really should NOT have installed beta firmware in the first place..." :confused:

Just my dose of snarkiness for today.
Are you referring to Amp Block resetting? Its only necessary in beta release? ;)

A few days ago I finally got over the hump with the FM3. Had a Dirty Shirley preset with varying levels of gain. Brought my setup to a band mates house where it’s no problem to get on it at good volume levels. That day I had the best guitar tones I have ever had in my hands and that’s saying a lot. Since I’m an old F’r I’ve been around awhile and have managed to use many good tube amps. But now I’m on board with the Fractal modelers and I think these things are the best guitar gadgets ever made.
So I was all excited about the Cygnus. Now to be fair I haven’t had much time on it and not at decent volume levels but I still can’t get my Shirley preset back to where I like it. I’ll get it back I know but still a little buzzkill. On the upside, I watched Leon Todd’s video on the Band Commander and that thing sounds awesome. I tried it pre Cygnus and wasn’t impressed with it. To be fair with that, I didn’t know what I was doing yet when I 1st tried it. This thing has a learning curve but there’s a ton of support on this forum, an innovative company that pays attention, YouTube, and the guys like Yek who apparently dedicate a LOT of time to this tonal phenomenon called Fractal modeling. I’m happy to be aboard. Will be happier when I get my Shirley back.
The Dirty Shirley is one of my faves. After resetting the amp block by choosing a different amp and reselecting the Dirty Shirley (for some reason, it was Dirty Shirley 2 in the list), there was a huge difference I didn't like. Like a blanket over the amp. After digging in, I had to adjust my BMT settings to their previous settings AND turn the bright switch back on and she was back in all her glory.

Plus, it's nice to be in a new house/mancave/music room and out of the apartment where I had to watch my volume...

mister rogers fletcher-munson.jpg

Cygnus sounds Awesome! The drive sounds bigger and smoother, the overall sound seems more even with fewer hard notes, the pick attack articulation is stunning. Honestly it's amazing.

I have a question though. I run an HXFX unit in a kind of 4cm method with the FM3. I plug into the HXFX, go to Fm3's input, output 2 back to HXFX and then back to Fm3 through input2. After cygnus I seem to be noticing a kind of "tone suck" when I plug into the HXFX and then go into input 1 of the FM3. This doesn't seem to happen if I only have the HXFX in the the FM3's loop. I also do not have any fx block on in the HXFX. Just plugging into the hxfx then into the FM3. It losses a bit of top end and clarity. This didn't happen before cygnus. The volume drops a little bit too. Could it simply be that the HXFX can't keep up with the fidelity of cygnus or is it that I need to adjust some parameters to compensate for the HXFX going into the fm3 and not just my guitar? Anyone else noticed anything similar after cygnus?
This probably warrants a dedicated thread. I’ve tested an HX Stomp in the loop, seemed fine. I haven’t tried it in front. Checked your HX Effects to make sure levels are set to instrument? Is HX set to Analog or DSP bypass?

This probably warrants a dedicated thread. I’ve tested an HX Stomp in the loop, seemed fine. I haven’t tried it in front. Checked your HX Effects to make sure levels are set to instrument? Is HX set to Analog or DSP bypass?

Thanks for the reply. I'll try creating a new thread. To answer your questions. All input and output are set to instrument and I'm in analog by-pass.

Installing this firmware update does not update all amp block parameters in existing presets, including Negative Feedback and other p.a. controls.

So if you want to make sure that you hear the amp model as intended, reset the Amp block.
Is there a way to reset the amp block in all presets all at once?

Back
Top Bottom