FM3 Firmware Version 3.03 beta 1

I think what happened is that here and on another infamous forum a few people were quite vocal that Cygnus (while fundamentally being a more realistic modeling experience) ruined some of their presets so Cliff seemed somewhat concerned in one of his responses that it probably made him go "hmmm, maybe better isn't better and we should redo etc etc" so they are making sure when it releases for the FM3 they don't have to address the same bitching, complaining, ungrateful commentary... What do I know.. I'm just here to practice my typing skills and look at my posts like a potential pulitzer prize winner.

I had a bet with a friend for the last month or so as to which would appear first, my Quad Cortex order (4 1/2 months), or my recently purchased FM3's Cygnus update. I was pretty sure Cygnus would win but since my QC is arriving tomorrow it looks like I was wrong.

Last edited:
I think what happened is that here and on another infamous forum a few people were quite vocal that Cygnus (while fundamentally being a more realistic modeling experience) ruined some of their presets so Cliff seemed somewhat concerned in one of his responses that it probably made him go "hmmm, maybe better isn't better and we should redo etc etc" so they are making sure when it releases for the FM3 they don't have to address the same bitching, complaining, ungrateful commentary... What do I know.. I'm just here to practice my typing skills and look at my posts like a potential pulitzer prize winner.

I loathe that other place--for obvious reasons. One super squeaky human there can generate an
heap of apparent uproar with some kind of click-baity thread title that often indicates more user
error and personal ignorance on their part than any kind of objective and disinterested point of view.

The Mods there seem to allow free reign for users to slag and defame builders passionate about their
work, and let them cast all kinds of aspersions towards them regarding their motives for why they do what
they do, and with no recourse to reply in kind without threat of banishment.

Did I say "loathe" empathically enough??? ;)

You mean the forum that doesn't allow any dedicated Axe FX threads to exist while Helix and QC has multiple multi-thread ones??

...a few people were quite vocal that Cygnus (while fundamentally being a more realistic modeling experience) ruined some of their presets...
The comments I’ve seen from Cliff were that Cygnus is more accurately modeling the amps and he has the tests, data and graphs showing so.

Cygnus reveals warts in the original amps that people had adjusted away in their previous versions of their presets. Cygnus and the Fractal-way also give us the tools to airbrush those amp models and remove their warts and still retain what drew them to the amps in the first place.

In my experience with Ares and Cygnus beta and now Cygnus release, the majority of my presets sound much more open and real and are a pleasure to play after adjusting cab IRs, using factory cabs. I have some minor adjustments in some amp blocks but mostly switching to different cabs fixed what I thought sounded wrong, and I think that’s because the amp models are reacting to the cabs more accurately; some real amps are really picky about the cab/speaker combination so an accurate model will be too.

You mean the forum that doesn't allow any dedicated Axe FX threads to exist while Helix and QC has multiple multi-thread ones??

When multiple users can chronically throw around terms like "cult" in
a derogatory and pejorative manner, and then a builder has to be a veritable
Saint if they attempt to respond, cues me in as to all I need to know about that
"other" place.

Have any of the people whining about Cygnus ever thought about putting themselves in a real-world scenario where they explain how this pissed them off? Let me paint you a picture.

Attending a show, you notice your favorite band has an FM3/AX3!
You're very excited to ask them about it

Entitled Whiney Guitarist Who Justified Their Anger With How Much Time They Spent Dialing In: Hey bro! What's up man, how ya likin Fractal?

Band Member Of Favorite Band: Dude, I fucking love it, especially since this new firmware update they released? Holy shit, it's as close as ever! You have one too?

Entitled Whiney Guitarist Who Justified Their Anger With How Much Time They Spent Dialing In: Yeah man, I've had it since the waitlist! But man... I spent all this time dialing in my presets, and then they went and released this firmware and I had to fuckin dial all this shit in again an--*

Band Member Of Favorite Band: walks away

Gee.... thanks. I wasn't already excited enough. :)
It’s an improvement but it’s rarely without some adjusting needed. Cliff carefully set expectations that people needed to tweak, but so many didn’t bother to read the notes, or choose to ignore them, and then complained.

So, when it releases for FM3 expect the same complaints will happen, take them with a grain of salt, sit back with something to sip and slowly adjust.

I don’t understand the hate on presets changing because a fundamental change like Cygnus is absolutely going to change your presets. You just have to know that going in to it.

But more importantly, where are there magical unicorns that have a preset they haven’t touched in years? I’m tweaking on mine all the time.

I don’t understand the hate ....
Some of us have become a bit spoiled with the regularity of FW updates on our Fractal products as if each improvement should address everyone's tastes, needs, and wants universally across the product lines and since the internet gives us the chance to consume bandwidth and impose our frustrations; it's inevitable that you get what we got here lately. Some men you just can't reach.

Some of us have become a bit spoiled with the regularity of FW updates on our Fractal products as if each improvement should address everyone's tastes, needs, and wants universally across the product lines and since the internet gives us the chance to consume bandwidth and impose our frustrations; it's inevitable that you get what we got here lately. Some men you just can't reach.
Fair. I’m new to fractal, so I’m not carrying all of that baggage with me.

Back
Top Bottom