FM3 Firmware Version 2.00 Public Beta 1

BTW I have to mention that today I did some reamping with the FM3 and managed to get as low as 64-128 samples I/O buffer size in Logic, with 32 samples the audio got terribly distorted and had to Initialize Core Audio again to clear that up. The only thing that really surprised me was the excessive recording latency that I got and had to compensate via the Recording Delay settings, it was about 1065 samples. That kind of latency seems normal when the I/O buffer size is set to 1024 samples, seems odd that I got that going as low as 64-128 buffer size.

I'm having the same cab issues and also the Warning sign even though not using all CPU :(
To downgrade back to 1.06 i just need to do the same process, sending the .syx file to fm3 with fractal bot? thx
iu

BE ADVISED: You don't have to be using "all" of the CPU to be using all of the CPU. You want to keep your CPU usage meter at or below 80%.
80% is for the preset being processed. 20% is for the operating system (FW, running the screens and controls, etc).

BTW I have to mention that today I did some reamping with the FM3 and managed to get as low as 64-128 samples I/O buffer size in Logic, with 32 samples the audio got terribly distorted and had to Initialize Core Audio again to clear that up. The only thing that really surprised me was the excessive recording latency that I got and had to compensate via the Recording Delay settings, it was about 1065 samples. That kind of latency seems normal when the I/O buffer size is set to 1024 samples, seems odd that I got that going as low as 64-128 buffer size.
Any latency inducing plugins at play?

I'm just wondering how Line6 is capable to do the USB thing without any issues? I'm still seeing the same issue on the FM3 since the beginning.

the AF3 does not seem to have the same issues. obviously the FM3 is a lower priced Fractal product so some
concessions had to be made
maybe the USB interface in theFM3 isnt the same as the 3 or the Line6 Helix
it hard to answer that one unless we had all the specs to compare

I'm just wondering how Line6 is capable to do the USB thing without any issues? I'm still seeing the same issue on the FM3 since the beginning.
Line6 doesn't really do anything innovative. They've just been repackaging the same basic stuff for years. No risks, nothing amazing in a half-decade plus. This is the beginning of a completely new thing only loosely based on something else.

Look at it this way: the Osprey was kind of a dangerous aircraft that took 25 years to develop. It killed 19 Marines one night during a WTI in 1999 (I was there at the time). They put work into solving the problems and now it's one of the safest airframes the Marine Corps has ever had.

While the FM3 is not a complex aircraft, it is complex. USB is one of those whack-a-mole problems because of the wide variation in computers people are using. The Macs are pretty consistent. The Windows users (anecdotally) appear to be having the lions' share of the issues because ,well, Windows. I swear with my Windows gaming rig and my work laptop nothing ever works the same way twice. You power up and you literally never know what manner of bullshit glitch you're going to get this time. People who know me well know that I hate Windows and Microsoft with the fire of a thousand suns.

further update....weird. I set up a volume block controlled by an expression pedal coming in on midi channel 1 cc 1 via and airstep. It works in 'slow motion'....very strange, as you operate the pedal the volume dial in the block jumps rather than moves smoothly, same for the display in the modifier window. While it is doing this the unit is frozen. No switches work and all meters freeze, once it has done this and got to the 'other end of the volume swwep the unit comes alive again and switches and audio work. Tried to explain this, but it might be clearer to watch the video. preset attached. all in 2.0b

ps I am trying to upload the video but it doesnt seem to be possible from my mac?

This same issue happened to me. I added a volume block into a preset. Calibrated the expression pedal (plugged into the FM3 itself) and assigned it. When I go to swell in slowly, the volume sweep goes about 2/3 the way up the slope (looking at it in the modifier window) with virtually no change in volume (ie silent) and then the volume jumps to on and continues to increase in volume smoothly the rest of the sweep. Same whether using my modded Ernie Ball VP Jr or my Dunlop Volume x Mini. Once at the toe position, the volume sweeps smoothly down and back up until I rest the expression pedal at heel and try again. It sounds like there is a noise gate threshold in the volume block that is clicking open at some threshold and then not closing as long as signal is passing. Hope that’s enough detail.

This same issue happened to me. I added a volume block into a preset. Calibrated the expression pedal (plugged into the FM3 itself) and assigned it. When I go to swell in slowly, the volume sweep goes about 2/3 the way up the slope (looking at it in the modifier window) with virtually no change in volume (ie silent) and then the volume jumps to on and continues to increase in volume smoothly the rest of the sweep. Same whether using my modded Ernie Ball VP Jr or my Dunlop Volume x Mini. Once at the toe position, the volume sweeps smoothly down and back up until I rest the expression pedal at heel and try again. It sounds like there is a noise gate threshold in the volume block that is clicking open at some threshold and then not closing as long as signal is passing. Hope that’s enough detail.
Sounds like you have auto-engage turned on.

thanks guys! Yes, did download both...did the firmware update on fm3 and also on fm3-edit but still got this issue.
Will downgrade and wait a bit until a new release comes out! thanks :)))
But did you refresh in fm edit after new FW update, update FW, update new fm3 edit ,then go to top of page fm3 edit and refresh?

Line6 doesn't really do anything innovative. They've just been repackaging the same basic stuff for years. No risks, nothing amazing in a half-decade plus. This is the beginning of a completely new thing only loosely based on something else.

Look at it this way: the Osprey was kind of a dangerous aircraft that took 25 years to develop. It killed 19 Marines one night during a WTI in 1999 (I was there at the time). They put work into solving the problems and now it's one of the safest airframes the Marine Corps has ever had.

While the FM3 is not a complex aircraft, it is complex. USB is one of those whack-a-mole problems because of the wide variation in computers people are using. The Macs are pretty consistent. The Windows users (anecdotally) appear to be having the lions' share of the issues because ,well, Windows. I swear with my Windows gaming rig and my work laptop nothing ever works the same way twice. You power up and you literally never know what manner of bullshit glitch you're going to get this time. People who know me well know that I hate Windows and Microsoft with the fire of a thousand suns.
👍 Totally agree on L6 . FAS will get everything ironed out. BTW thanks for your service!

Auto-engage—That’s what I thought too. I did goof around with auto engage to see if toggling it in and off. I’ll have to report back if I can get it to do that again.

FM3 firmware version 2.00 Public Beta 1 is now available for download.

Please note that this is a beta release. Before installing a beta release it is recommended you do a full backup of your presets, user cabs, and system configuration using Fractal-Bot. We welcome and encourage feedback.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm3/2p0/fm3_dsp_rel_2p00_beta_1.zip

A new version of FM3-Edit is required: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-edit-1-02-00.167545/

Release Notes:
• Fixed USB audio issues that were affecting some customers.​
• Updated Amp block, now in sync with Axe-Fx III v14 (282 models including new “Archean”).​
• Updated Chorus and Compressor blocks, now in sync with Axe-Fx III v14.​
• "Swap Scenes" is now available on the Tools page of the Layout menu.​
• Reduced the overall latency of all analog I/O.​
• FC pedals can now be selected for global Input/Output Volumes (in Setup:MIDI/Remote:Other).​
• Output "Volume Increment" functions now work as specified.​
• FC: The first FC will now display the tuner when the FM3 is in the Tuner menu.​
• Display brightness is now applied correctly on power up.​
• Fixed an issue where footswitches would sometimes stop functioning until the power was cycled.​
• Fixed incorrect default scene on Patch recall from FM3-Edit.​
• Fixed an occasional crash caused by an “illegal” modifier.​
• Fixed crashes related to importing Axe-Fx III presets via FM3-Edit.​
• Fixed Bypass button issue in hardware GUI and FM3-Edit.​
Great news :)
Could you explain "swap scenes"? What does this mean for the workflow?

Great news :)
Could you explain "swap scenes"? What does this mean for the workflow?
Don't mean to be patronising - but have you tried it? It won't break anything!

Let's you swap scenes in FM-Edit, so if you want scene 2 to be scene 4 - you can (if you're like me and like scenes to be rising in terms of gain, it's useful)

Let's you swap scenes in FM-Edit, so if you want scene 2 to be scene 4 - you can (if you're like me and like scenes to be rising in terms of gain, it's useful)
...and on the hardware.

I had a reverse polarity cable that caused this same behavior. I used reverse polarity cables for my Mastermind PBC and my EV-2 pedal and took me forever to figure out the problem. Test your cable to make sure it's tip to tip, ring to ring, and sleeve to sleeve. If the tip and ring are swapped you have a reverse polarity cable and replace it with a standard TRS cable.

I do know that but I am at the office at the moment so I could not try out but was to curious and impatient to wait, sorry :D:innocent:
And in general, I do not want to install beta firmware on my FM 3.
Can`t wait to get the official firmware release.

Stay healthy and thanks for the fast reply :)

Back
Top Bottom