FM3 Fail While Playing

Athens

Check it out. Now I do not want to gig with this thing all of a sudden.

No beta firmware or anything out of stock configuration.
Just playing,
Screen when to black and white monochrome, then condensed down to the single skunk stripe down the middle.

Damn, imagine having this happen during a gig. Damn..! This thing just turned into a boat anchor, doorstop, something like that.

Who the hell wants this happening?

20210619_163316 (2).jpg

Check it out. Now I do not want to gig with this thing all of a sudden.

No beta firmware or anything out of stock configuration.
Just playing,
Screen when to black and white monochrome, then condensed down to the single skunk stripe down the middle.

Damn, imagine having this happen during a gig. Damn..! This thing just turned into a boat anchor, doorstop, something like that.

Who the hell wants this happening?

View attachment 85031
https://support.fractalaudio.com

A friendly soul indicated they had a vacuum tube fail once.
I think nobody is OK with the FM3 having the same hardware reliability as a vacuum tube.
LOL.
But thank you for addressing the topic with a constructive comment.
I get that you're upset. I would be, too. But the FM3 is miles more reliable than a tube amp.

Contact Fractal support. They'll take care of you. If this had been a tube failure, you'd be on your own.

Last edited:
Everything fails... If it's important then you have a backup.
This is tried and true professional advice. In 35 years of playing, I’ve never had a tube amp fail on the job, but I always carried spares and fuses. In the last decade of gigging FAS equipment, same thing… but I always have a backup ready. As a current example, I keep a FlyRig5 in my case to provide a basic amp and effects. Small, cheap, and will get you through the show if the primary rig goes south. I never gig with just one guitar for the same reason.

I don’t think anyone is saying you shouldn’t be unhappy about the FM3 tanking on you. FAS isn’t happy to see it either, but they’ll get you lined out. Best to take this as a good reason to have a Plan B!

There’s nothing wrong with posting if you have a problem, but the OP comes across quite a bit like “omg doom and gloom, the sky is falling, oh whatever will I do!”

Yeah it sucks, but relaaaax dude. Contact support. :)

And as mentioned, if you’re gonna be gigging anything you should have a backup.

in the early days of LCD monitors users would clean their LCD monitors with excessive cleaner (Windex most common) once the liquid seeps into the edges you'd see something similar to this w/vertical lines, I don't see any visual damage from impact so wondering if the screen could fail by itself? (comment FAS?) Can you attach a PC to it and still see your patches in FM3-Edit? be a good fall back if having a gig you could at least look at the software on the PC.

Hi guys.

I do not know anyone here in any context beyond this post, my first thread for discussion.
The forum could be anything from active pros who gig the FM3 to people who do not gig. I have no idea. I just assume a mix.

I would like please to ask a question just to players who load up your FM3 gear and use it to perform in public:

- What is your FM3 backup solution when you play a gig?

Thanks very much to those who provided genuine guidance to the support page, and thanks also for all the other help.

Nice to meet you guys, and rock on.

There’s a 1000 solutions for a backup system, from more complex systems to a phone app.Typically users have upgraded from another system, maybe that’s your backup system.

I do not gig since I have the Axe-FX III, but in the past, with the Axe-FX Standard, Ultra and Axe-FX II, I always had a Boss Micro BR-80 or a Korg Pandora at the cables bag. Seriously :cool: It is cheap and minuscule, but I programmed a couple of tones that could help me save the day. I never had to use it in an emergency, though.

Talking about minuscule rigs, I once saw a minimalist Marillion concert in Barcelona where Steve Rothery, the king of the huge refrigerators, was playing with just a Korg Pandora attached to the guitar strap.

Last edited:
I know this might not help but in 2008 my ADA preamp went down at a big show and now I take at least two of everything. Learned the hard way.

Hi guys.

I do not know anyone here in any context beyond this post, my first thread for discussion.
The forum could be anything from active pros who gig the FM3 to people who do not gig. I have no idea. I just assume a mix.

I would like please to ask a question just to players who load up your FM3 gear and use it to perform in public:

Thanks very much to those who provided genuine guidance to the support page, and thanks also for all the other help.

Nice to meet you guys, and rock on.
Amplitube on your phone is a pretty good backup. You'll probably have your phone with you anyway, so it's minimal gear to haul to the gig. You wouldn't want to use it regularly, but for an emergency backup, it's a pretty good solution..

Reactions: Rex
I didn’t state above, but I’m using an Axe Fx III, and the FlyRig5 is the backup. It’s a true “mini pedalboard / amp” with foot switches for effects, clean/dirty, and a solo boost. I’d avoid anything you can’t hook up to FOH, and can’t just drop on the floor and stomp on. Think “replace my rig and keep playing”… what would be the absolute minimum?

On the other hand, if you’re gigging at a truly pro level, a second FM3 with identical programming is what you need. My backup guitar cost as much as three of them, so in the big scheme of things, it’s not unreasonable. That would also allow you to have a rig at home and one at rehearsals, etc.

On the other hand, if you’re gigging at a truly pro level, a second FM3 with identical programming is what you need. My backup guitar cost as much as three of them, so in the big scheme of things, it’s not unreasonable. That would also allow you to have a rig at home and one at rehearsals, etc.
If it's an identical system make sure the backup rig is protected in something that keeps it from getting smashed and is swapped in regularly to make sure it's working and is current. Needing the backup and finding out it's not usable or isn't ready is like needing the spare tire on your car and finding out it's missing or flat.

It's also important to have spare batteries, fuses, cables, misc. adapters and it doesn't hurt to have an AC power strip and extension cord, small set of wrenches and screwdrivers, spare strings, some bandaids, etc.

I have an FM3 and our other guitarist has a QC.... we have 1 HX Stomp for backup if either of ours fails. The likelihood that both would fail at the same gig is pretty low (of course.... now that I just typed it out guess what will happen)

Back
Top Bottom