FM3 factory presets volume differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, i have no clue why either. But also, i get overwhelmed by the hundreds of presets that I only try a handful, don't like them, and just geek out on my own

I know that this is adjustable but why do the presets vary in volume by quite a bit?

Factory presets (for any product, not just FAS, really) are generally made by a diverse group of people, each one with their own unique set of ears/fingers and gear. From the different guitars/pickups to their ways of amplify the sound, be it Studio Monitors, Power amp/cab, FRFR, etc... all accounts for the differences in output volume with YOUR particular setup.

Factory presets (for any product, not just FAS, really) are generally made by a diverse group of people, each one with their own unique set of ears/fingers and gear. From the different guitars/pickups to their ways of amplify the sound, be it Studio Monitors, Power amp/cab, FRFR, etc... all accounts for the differences in output volume with YOUR particular setup.
I agree, i have no clue why either. But also, i get overwhelmed by the hundreds of presets that I only try a handful, don't like them, and just geek out on my own
I agree and will likely do the same. 😃

Good point I would just like a way of evening out the volume of all the presets after they have been created

Good point I would just like a way of evening out the volume of all the presets after they have been created
Just checking - are you creating presets and the volumes are different? Or are you talking only about the Factory Presets?

Your guitar has a lot to do with it. I have groups of presets that are well leveled with a humbucker that aren't so well labeled with a lower-output single-coil guitar.

it's completely dependent on how you play guitar and what guitar you're using, its volume knob, etc. many factors.

in my experience, the factory presets do not vary in volume by much.

is there any pattern? something like all the clean sounds are quiet and the higher gain presets are loud? how are you listening to the axe? quietly or loud in the room?

The factory presets are obviously contributed by a variety of people using a variety of rigs, but I think the levels are balanced pretty well. What are some examples of presets you don’t think are well balanced?

Your guitar has a lot to do with it. I have groups of presets that are well leveled with a humbucker that aren't so well labeled with a lower-output single-coil guitar.
Yes but with the same guitar plugged in the volume between presets is from quiet to really loud. When considering using some presets I would have to tweak them all down to a similar level

Yes but with the same guitar plugged in the volume between presets is from quiet to really loud. When considering using some presets I would have to tweak them all down to a similar level
Can you give some examples of presets that are quiet or loud?

Reread my post. I also had the same guitar plugged in. :)

In my experience, most of them clip horribly. You can check it going into "Preset Leveling". It makes the FM3 sound like crap because it distorts until you bring the level down in "Preset Leveling". Not sure why they would release them like that.
I like all my presets to be 100% volume perfect and not clip. It makes a huge difference in the quality of audio you get.
All the factory presets sound good if you do that.
BTW this happens with all my humbucker and single coil guitars, it doesn't matter.
I never asked on the forums about it because I don't use the factory presets. I sat down and went through all of them one day just to see what they offered. I figured it shows what the FM3 is capable of and that's about it anyway.
Lets face it, we ain't buying a fractal to use Factory Presets. However, they are overly loud.
I like creating my own, anyway.

Last edited:
In my experience, most of them clip horribly. You can check it going into "Preset Leveling". It makes the FM3 sound like crap because it distorts until you bring the level down in "Preset Leveling". Not sure why they would release them like that.
I like all my presets to be 100% volume perfect and not clip. It makes a huge difference in the quality of audio you get.
BTW this happens with all my humbucker and single coil guitars, it doesn't matter.
I never asked on the forums about it because I don't use the factory presets. I sat down and went through all of them one day just to see what they offered. I figured it shows what the FM3 is capable of and that's about it anyway.
Lets face it, we ain't buying a fractal to use Factory Presets. However, they are overly loud.

You're doing something wrong. Have you installed the latest versions of the factory presets? Is Power Amp modeling turned on?

This is not normal. They should not clip at all.

I'm not doing anything wrong. They are factory presets and I don't have this issue with ones from Leon Todd from the exchange or mine. This happens to both of my FM3's and have the latest beta firmware. They were both doing it before they were upgraded and are doing it after. Just like the random freeze ups. That also happens to both units all at random it seems and with different presets. They could be on for hours, days or weeks at a time before it happens. Its happened at a gig before, thank goodness it wasn't during a song but about 5 mins after I powered it up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom