FM3 cycling through presets itself

zerolight

Inspired
edit: my problem has returned.

In 2021 it was this:
I've run into a problem over the past week where I can be in the middle of editing a preset using FM3 edit, when suddenly my FM3 starts rapidly cycling through all its presets - losing the edits I am making obviously - and eventually stopping after I spin the rotary dial to change presets myself a few times. It's really weird, annoying. Anyone else had this? Is it likely to be my unit or an issue with FM3 Edit. I'm fairly sure it has only happened using FM3 edit on my Mac.

Today, 2024:
Damn - it has started doing it again. Last time the repair centre couldn't replicate it, and it just stopped doing it. It has started again, only whilst editing a preset, it will just start cycling through presets on its own and will only stop if I quit FM3-edit. Then I re-open FM3-edit, navigate back to my preset, start editing again, and after a minute or so, it starts cycling through presets again. Kill FM3-edit and it stops. Don't open FM3 edit, it is fine. It's like FM3-edit starts sending a preset change command to the unit.

Edit3: Only happens with FM3-Edit in Windows, just ran it on the Mac now and it is fine.

Last edited:
Maybe a dirty encoder or button? I don't know how you can get the big value knob off but maybe you can try blowing some canned air under it.

Does it only happen when USB is connected? Are other apps running when this happens, or do you have anything connected to the MIDI?

I've run into a problem over the past week where I can be in the middle of editing a preset using FM3 edit, when suddenly my FM3 starts rapidly cycling through all its presets - losing the edits I am making obviously - and eventually stopping after I spin the rotary dial to change presets myself a few times. It's really weird, annoying. Anyone else had this? Is it likely to be my unit or an issue with FM3 Edit. I'm fairly sure it has only happened using FM3 edit on my Mac.
The most likely culprit is a stuck navigation button. Give them a few firm, rapid pokes to make sure they're free.

I’ll not have touched the front face of the FM3 for hours and all will be fine, then suddenly the presets start changing by themselves. Disconnecting USB once it has started doesn’t stop it. Found another thread where the encoder seemed to be the culprit. One owner had to get his unit replaced. I’ll keep an eye on it.

Could one of the footswitches be firing on its own? Do you normally operate the unit with a Preset +1 switch?

I had a bad unit... sounds like it might be similar to what your seeing...

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ange-fm-3-01-and-earlier.169278/#post-2042911

Could one of the footswitches be firing on its own? Do you normally operate the unit with a Preset +1 switch?
I do have one external pedal set as a stand in switch, but it only increments on a press and hold. I’ll try disconnecting that tomorrow and see whether it still does it. Odd that when it happens I’m nowhere near the switches and usually editing.

Damn - it has started doing it again. Last time the repair centre couldn't replicate it, and it just stopped doing it. It has started again, only whilst editing a preset, it will just start cycling through presets on its own and will only stop if I quit FM3-edit. Then I re-open FM3-edit, navigate back to my preset, start editing again, and after a minute or so, it starts cycling through presets again. Kill FM3-edit and it stops. Don't open FM3 edit, it is fine. It's like FM3-edit starts sending a preset change command to the unit.

Edit: Only happens with FM3-Edit in Windows, just ran it on the Mac now and it is fine.

Last edited:
Couldn’t it be a problem with your keyboard or mousewheel too? Did you try to disconnect your keyboard while it is happening just to see if it stops?

If you switch to another windows while NOT closing the Editor, does this behavior stop?

Do you have any software installed, something like automatic clicker or keyboard macros tools?

If something triggers Ctrl+PageUp/Down, FM3-edit will cycle presets. Not sure if there is another keyboard shortcut for that.

Clickers can also assign global keyboard shortcuts afair, which can lead to same switching even if another window is in focus.

Go to Setup > MIDI/Remote > Other, and check if a MIDI CC has been assigned to Preset Increment.
If so, set to NONE.

I don't have any tools or keyboard triggers that could cause this and I use the same keyboard and mouse with both my PC and Mac through a KVM. The fact that I have discovered the problem only occurs under Windows, I think I'm just going to use the Mac with FM3-Edit and leave the PC for gaming. It was just convenient to have access to FM3-Edit regardless of what computer I am using. MIDI Remote is also set to none. On Windows, I was just using the mouse wheel to scroll the gain level on a drive pedal and that was enough to set it off. On the Mac, it is totally fine. Weird.

I don't have any tools or keyboard triggers that could cause this and I use the same keyboard and mouse with both my PC and Mac through a KVM. The fact that I have discovered the problem only occurs under Windows, I think I'm just going to use the Mac with FM3-Edit and leave the PC for gaming. It was just convenient to have access to FM3-Edit regardless of what computer I am using. MIDI Remote is also set to none. On Windows, I was just using the mouse wheel to scroll the gain level on a drive pedal and that was enough to set it off. On the Mac, it is totally fine. Weird.
Are you running Windows 10? I've noticed some strange mouse behavior lately on my Win10 boxes. It's almost as if Microsoft is trying to drive people away from Windows 10 as it nears end of life.

Have you already done an uninstall and reinstall of FM3-Edit?

Are you running Windows 10? I've noticed some strange mouse behavior lately on my Win10 boxes. It's almost as if Microsoft is trying to drive people away from Windows 10 as it nears end of life.
Hi Rex - no, I am on Win 11.

Back
Top Bottom