FM3 behaves strange hooked up to Temple Audio Design IEC AC

MrPond

Experienced
Hello!

I have a Temple Audio board and i was planning to integrate a IEC AC module.
So i ordered one and installed it. The FM3 power switch was ON, the IEC modules power switch was OFF.
After around one minute, the FM3 flickered for a super short amount of time - i was super confused and - it appeared to happen again and again ...
My guess was: The IEC was broken, so i returned it. Today, i recieved a new IEC power module and guess what - the same thing is happening.
FM3 power switch ON and IEC power switch OFF and the power flicker appears after around one minute.
The thing is - this does not happen with other devices! They keep off. So, something is weird with the FM3 hooked up to the IEC power module.
The question is - what? I was planning to make the pedalboard neat and tidy, and the IEC power module should be part of it.
In the rehearsal room, i want to manage the pedalboard power with the IEC module power switch and i definitely don't want to hook the board on and off power-wise ..

Here is a video to show it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0vtn39bwep4xop/IMG_1833.MOV

So ... who is 'in charge'? Is this a problem with the FM3? Is this a problem with Temple Audio? I don't get it :(
I switched power cables as well, if anybody asks ;)

Niklas

Interesting. So, it's not a problem in general, i guess ...
Sounds like the Temple Audio stuff is weird? If the FM3 is flickering, i would assume there is actually power coming through - even if it's switched OFF - for a super short amount of time ... daaaaammmmn i hate this kind stuff :sweatsmile:

Also, I didn’t see it mentioned, but does it still flicker if you just use the FM3 power switch while plugged directly to the wall?

Yeh, I missed that.

What else is connected to your FM3? USB, maybe?

Nope, nothing else.

Do you have just a normal power strip with a switch to compare and see if it behaves the same way?

I have a simple power strip and if the power strip is off, the FM3 is off. No flickering.

Also, I didn’t see it mentioned, but does it still flicker if you just use the FM3 power switch while plugged directly to the wall?

The FM3 keeps being off in this scenario.
So, i can almost eliminate everything else but the IEC module from Temple Audio.
But - again - why is other stuff still off? Lights, other electronic devices - the don't get on for this mili second.
Right now, the FM3 is the only device which does this. I don't get it :(

Strange that only the main screen flashes, not the LEDs. Could there be some kind of electrostatic discharge nearby? Or something generating an electromagnetic field?

Weird. I have the same setup, the FM3 switch stays in the on position while I use the IEC switch to turn my board on/off and I’ve never seen this.

Strange that only the main screen flashes, not the LEDs. Could there be some kind of electrostatic discharge nearby? Or something generating an electromagnetic field?
That’s a good thought. Try relocating the board altogether. Maybe reroute the power wiring if something is being induced.

Have those stomp boxes also been powered by the adapter every time this happens? Try moving the IEC module away from the board a little.

I changed power chords, i tried different power sockets, the IEC module is not located to the board - i tried leaving it on and off with different devices but still - IEC module OFF and FM3 power ON, the screen flickers every 60-70 seconds

I don't get it :cry:

I'm with the rest of the crowd here, my FM3 connected to the IEC module in my DUO 24 does not exhibit this behavior.
If it were me, I'd take a multimeter and test the IEC outlet to see if any AC is passing through when it is in the "off" position.
My guess is it won't show any AC coming through but worth a try. My guess would be static energy causing the screen to flash.

Multimeter ... good call. I'll try that!
The thing with the static energy ... how to get to the bottom of this?
If i plug the FM3 (ON) to a power strip (OFF), the screen issue is not there :/

Same behaviour here!:(
I have the Temple Audio IEC module connected to a 3-way power outlet and for this I cut the cable of the IEC module to directly connect it to the 3-way outlet. So for me there is no way to return it...
But on my board I have a footswitch with LED for switching between two guitars. This footswitch LED is supplied by a 9V power supply plugged in the 3-way outlet. I can see that also the footswitch LED illuminates every few seconds. So I am pretty sure that is has nothing to do with the FM3!
Maybe it has something to do with the filter inside the TA IEC adapter. I think the filter is nothing more than a capacitor and/or some inductive component. But this would also mean that the On/Off switch on the TA module does not completely switch off mains. I don't know if this is technically correct on TA side...
So there is definitely a voltage peak every few seconds even if switched off. Sometimes I only see the footswitch LED lighting up, sometimes also the FM3.
Maybe we have to ask TA about this.

You guys must have opted for the "haunted" version of the IEC module....
This is odd behavior for sure. I just tested my IEC module to see if any AC is leaking when the module is off, and there isn't any present when in the off position, at least on my board. Sounds like a chat with the Temple Audio folks is in order here.

Back
Top Bottom