Flanger

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
I cannot get a satisfying sound no matter how hard i try with flanger, can someone share the settings they like?
Basically i want to have a sound i could use for funk stuff with clean guitar.
The usual problem for me is it sounds like it adds some reverb type thing to the sound. I remember i could have much more extreme sounds that were musically useable with Strymon Mobius.
There are some things i cannot replicate with axe.

I had a custom preset that i tweaked, too bad i didnt record it. It had sort of a resonator like effect, with a high frequencies resonating. The effect was pretty extreme, but was perfectly useable.

I have the most problems with the flanger on the Axe. I'm getting better with it, but I think it and phaser could use some tweaking.

I love the sound of the H.B.E. Frostbite pedal, but never bought one. I did have the Strymon Orbit, and love that pedal. Then I got the Mobius. Sadly, there are times when I miss that pedal.

There are loads of other great demos of this pedal.

Again, tons of great demos of the Orbit and of course the Mobius on youtube.

For me, what I notice is the ability to get a more pronounced effect while retaining the clarity of the signal and the effect together. I struggle to obtain that on the Axe. Sometimes I get it or at least really close. I think a lot of it depends on the amp and choosing the right IR (UR IRs seem to help).

Have you tried Javajunkie´s electric mistress flanger/controller blocks?
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/76166-moaee-electric-mistress-flanger.html

Sounds great. Try it before and after the amp/cab to see what you like best.

I don't recall but I may have used a delay for that. The delay can make an excellent flanger. The key to flanging is delay time,placement, and feedback. A small change in delay time can make a huge difference. also, I always turn off auto depth and adjust rate/depth manually.

Last edited:
Just watched the strymon orbit demo posted above and it sounds very close to what i want. In the beginning there was this resonating high freq sound. I liked all the sounds from this demo actually, i wish axe could do that.

Exactly what I've been saying. Having used the Orbit for quite a while, I feel spoiled with what I feel is the best digital flanger available. I think the Frostbite flanger is probably the best analog one. If I could get the sounds of those two pedals from the Axe FX, I would be one happy camper.

I have a feeling it will an Axe FX III thing though. That's okay. I can wait.

Once the effects and the way interact are addressed, I feel as though the Axe FX will be THE complete, unbeatable, untouchable, top-notch product available for guitarists. Amp modeling and IRs are amazing. Most of the effects are great as well, but that's one area where improvements could still be made. If programming the effects could be a little more intuitive and user-friendly (less memorizing of the manual and all the parameters, honestly), that would be even better.

Just watched the strymon orbit demo posted above and it sounds very close to what i want. In the beginning there was this resonating high freq sound. I liked all the sounds from this demo actually, i wish axe could do that.

And it's not as though I use the flanger, phaser, tremolo, etc. all that often, but it would be nice to be able to completely replace pedals. That is asking so, so much, but I think we're there with the modeling, and IRs are clearly improving. If there's still room for it in the Axe FX II, I'm on the list of those who would love to see improvements in the effects.

By the way, the new spring reverb is awesome. (And that's why I know it can be done with the modulation effects too.)

Just curious here, I am assuming a few of you on this thread are still using outboard pedals with your Axe. If so, where do you place them in your signal chain? I'm curious because I too struggle with some of the internal effects including the delays and still have a few outboard ones I really like and should probably try with the Axe.

Thanks in advance.

Just curious here, I am assuming a few of you on this thread are still using outboard pedals with your Axe. If so, where do you place them in your signal chain? I'm curious because I too struggle with some of the internal effects including the delays and still have a few outboard ones I really like and should probably try with the Axe.

Thanks in advance.

FAMC Liquid Router with strymon timeline, big sky, möbius, eventide eclipse, and SUF Vilolet Ram's Head Muff.
i can route anything before, after, or in the loop of the Axe-fx. Usually I will run them in the loop. I don't use them a lot though. 90% of the time I stick with the Axefx.

for flanging, I pretty much always use the delay. I think the delay does a better job in a lot of cases.

for flanging, I pretty much always use the delay. I think the delay does a better job in a lot of cases.

The core flanger algorithm is a delay with feedback. Very little difference between using the delay block as a flanger and using the flanger block.

The core flanger algorithm is a delay with feedback. Very little difference between using the delay block as a flanger and using the flanger block.

Yes, but you can get extended delay times ( like the A/DA has, 14ms at max on the A/DA IIRC), the EQ is much more robust, you also can use motor speed; and for whatever reason, it is much easier to dial in what I am looking for. The only thing I miss with it is some granularity.

Also if you haven't tried using the sweep algorithm in the delay, try it is super swirly.
Plus you can get a negative and positive feedback going at once.

For example, here is a quick clip I just did with the delay as a flanger using the sweep algorithm. I don't think I can get the same results from the flanger (or with Mobius either)

Last edited:
Also if you haven't tried using the sweep algorithm in the delay, try it is super swirly.
Plus you can get a negative and positive feedback going at once.

For example, here is a quick clip I just did with the delay as a flanger using the sweep algorithm. I don't think I can get the same results from the flanger (or with Mobius either)

that sounds insanely cool for a Delay doing a Flanger. never tried the Sweep algo to flange. any ballpark settings you'd like to share ?

That is very cool sound Java! Great tip about exploring delay as flanger. Can you also use multi or megatap delays for that? My regular delays are already in use.
Still I wish we could come closer to strymon using flanger block.

Back
Top Bottom