[FIXED] Bug? Possible issue with auto-engage on wah

bdrepko

Fractal Fanatic
I have set up a wah to auto-engage when the pedal is fully in the toe position. I leave it like this after I am done using it. Now when I switch from my rhythm patch to the lead patch, which uses the wah, I get a glitch kind of sound for a moment. It sounds like the wah is temporarily turning on for a number of milliseconds and then turns off. I when into the layout screen and I see it bypasses when I switch. Has anyone else tried using aut-engage and have seen this behavior?

Yes, a few of us found this recently. Thanks for the report, it helps confirm some things.

Check the Initial Value for the external you’re using. I’ll bet it’s set to 0% instead of 100%.

That helped setting the initial value to 100. Thanks!
are you using a pedal to control the Wah? how is it connected - directly to the Axe3 Pedal jack?

are you setting the Source for the Control knob to PEDAL or EXTERNAL # ?

where do you normally have it parked to turn off the wah? heel down? and therefore your OFF parameter for Auto-Engage is 5%?

or is it the opposite - toe down, and 95% for OFF?

these answers can help us track it down. thanks for anything you can offer.

are you using a pedal to control the Wah? how is it connected - directly to the Axe3 Pedal jack?

are you setting the Source for the Control knob to PEDAL or EXTERNAL # ?

where do you normally have it parked to turn off the wah? heel down? and therefore your OFF parameter for Auto-Engage is 5%?

or is it the opposite - toe down, and 95% for OFF?

these answers can help us track it down. thanks for anything you can offer.

I am using a Fractal Audio EV2 pedal connected to the expression input of a RJM mastermind LT. The source is set as external1. The pedal is parked toe-down which is disengaged.

Edit: Setting the initial value of external 1 to 100% seems to have resolved the issue for me.

I've had this problem from day one also. I assumed it was something I was doing. Any patch I have with my expression pedal attached to it will momentarily "sound" whatever is attached to it when I select the patch.

For example, I have a patch where the synth it attached to expression #2. Toe down it's off, and heal down is a ray gun sound. I keep my pedals toe down all the time, which should be the block off. When I select the patch, the ray gun sound will make a quick blip noise.

I'll notice it more when I'm playing and switch patches. So if I have a boost and delay assigned to the expression pedal, same thing where it's active heal down and off toe down, I'll get the boost and delay briefly when I switch to the patch.

It's not just the Wah. It happenes with everything my expression pedals are assigned to. I'm using the MFC-101 with Mission pedals attached to the MFC.

Also note, I'm still having that issue where the expression pedals will not retain their state when I use the Tuner.

I've had this problem from day one also. I assumed it was something I was doing. Any patch I have with my expression pedal attached to it will momentarily "sound" whatever is attached to it when I select the patch.

For example, I have a patch where the synth it attached to expression #2. Toe down it's off, and heal down is a ray gun sound. I keep my pedals toe down all the time, which should be the block off. When I select the patch, the ray gun sound will make a quick blip noise.

I'll notice it more when I'm playing and switch patches. So if I have a boost and delay assigned to the expression pedal, same thing where it's active heal down and off toe down, I'll get the boost and delay briefly when I switch to the patch.

It's not just the Wah. It happenes with everything my expression pedals are assigned to. I'm using the MFC-101 with Mission pedals attached to the MFC.
Change Initial Value for the controller that you're keeping toe-down.

Change Initial Value for the controller that you're keeping toe-down.

Yep, I already did that when I was having the tuner/pedal state issue. It doesn't fix any of the noise issues with blocks engaging for a millisecond when a patch is selected. It did kind of fixed the pedal state issue after using the tuner, but not completely. That only works if I keep my pedal toe down. If I move my pedal to heal down and use the tuner, it thinks the pedal is toe down even though it's heal down when I turn the tuner off, and I have to move the pedal again.

I changed my initial values, I changed my auto-engage values, I changed the curve of the modifier, nothing has fixed it. I probably should make better documentation of what I've tried and post some presets. I'm making due with it. But to be honest, it's worse than having than having the sound drop out when changing patches. At least that wasn't abrupt. Now I get very loud noises when I change patches.

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but it sounds like the same issue, or at least related. I just figured it was a side effect of using the MFC-101, and the problem would go away when I moved to the FC. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

That only works if I keep my pedal toe down.
Yep. One setting of Initial Value works for toe-down, and the other one works for heel-down. There's no perfect way to use it both ways.

Yep. One setting of Initial Value works for toe-down, and the other one works for heel-down. There's no perfect way to use it both ways.

I'm wondering why it doesn't work like it did with the II? Never had that issue with the II, either with pedal state after using the tuner, or with blocks making noise on patch changes. It just really feels like a bug to me, but nobody has really said anything about it.

Even with the initial value at 100 on the controller I still am experiencing what sounds like the wah kicking in for a really short time when changing scenes. I thought the problem had went away but I still notice it. If I remove the wah from the patch the problem goes away.

Even with the initial value at 100 on the controller I still am experiencing what sounds like the wah kicking in for a really short time when changing scenes. I thought the problem had went away but I still notice it. If I remove the wah from the patch the problem goes away.
This is a known issue and has been fixed for the next release.

Back
Top Bottom