Fishman Triple Play - Wireless midi pickup

Is anyone here using TriplePlay live? I'm trying to work out how I might switch patches in TriplePlay using my MFC. Is this even possible using the ethernet cable hookup?

Last edited:
Just ordered one. Really hoping I dig it, because I'm unable to return it due to industry accommodation from Fishman. On the bright side, I got a killer price on it, so if I hate it, I'll tear it apart and see what makes it tick. It's a Hexaphonic pickup with individual string coils, for sure. I think all the "ticking" will be software in the box.

By the way, they said that it does not play well with Floyd style bridges.
There are NO plans to make a 7-string version.

I'm still getting to grips with mine. I find that i can lose the tracking if i play too fast. I also play some false notes, but that's probably my sloppy playing. Works well in Logic Pro 9 and X. I use mine to trigger strings in East West Symphonic Orchestra and it sounds HUGE! The split fretboard is great for assigning a Cello to Bottom E and A, Violins to D and G and Viola to B and top E. Sounds really nice and the interface is pretty easy to get use to. I'd like faster tracking in the future.

Is anyone here using TriplePlay live? I'm trying to work out how I might switch patches in TriplePlay using my MFC. Is this even possible using the ethernet cable hookup?

I'd look at page 16 of MFC manual and page 13 of the TP guide. Looks like TP software user patches respond to midi program change and MFC will send program change to external devices. My guess is that the easiest way to do it if you're just doing a 1-1 relationship between patches is to put configure the TP list how you want it. I bet the Axe sends out PC messages 1-384 for banks A-C. I haven't done this, but the first thing I'd try is seeing if the TP software will recognize the Axe midi in via USB and respond that way. I think there's a USB midi setting you need to tweak in global settings, but I can't remember exactly what it is. Should be obvious when you're there.

By the way, they said that it does not play well with Floyd style bridges.

Really? As in, just in general, or only in terms of while engaged in furious whammy activity that would move the string around relative to the pickup?

Hopefully only the latter, because I was thinking of getting one. And basically the only guitar I'm really thinking of putting it on is the old RG560. I suppose if there's a mounting bracket that'll go on it, I could put it on the RGA121.

I'm still getting to grips with mine. I find that i can lose the tracking if i play too fast. I also play some false notes, but that's probably my sloppy playing. Works well in Logic Pro 9 and X. I use mine to trigger strings in East West Symphonic Orchestra and it sounds HUGE! The split fretboard is great for assigning a Cello to Bottom E and A, Violins to D and G and Viola to B and top E. Sounds really nice and the interface is pretty easy to get use to. I'd like faster tracking in the future.

Fabio,
Google Burr Johnson.He uses the TP and shreds the fingerboard with no glitches,artifacts.etc..Its really in the way you play.My technique is very articulate,I dont have many if any problems with the TP tracking.Plays everything I throw at it.Sweeps and all.Even better than my old axon unit.Also make sure the spacing between the top of the pickup and the strings is no less then 1mm,this is important to achieve the best tracking.

Boo! And boooooo again!

Don't say boo just yet...
Since I'm sure that all the Midimagic is located in the box, if I get a chance to open up the pickup itself, I may talk to Fishman about doing OEM work for them on a 7-string version. I've done Hex pickups before, but it's a major PITA.

Really? As in, just in general, or only in terms of while engaged in furious whammy activity that would move the string around relative to the pickup?

Hopefully only the latter, because I was thinking of getting one. And basically the only guitar I'm really thinking of putting it on is the old RG560. I suppose if there's a mounting bracket that'll go on it, I could put it on the RGA121.

They said that while the pickups works fine with F-spaced bridges, it's "furious whammy action" that makes is misbehave. They said it'll track dives, but it gets glitchy when you go too low.
They also mentioned that the pickup wants to be placed close to the saddle... most Floyd style bridges have the saddles pretty far back...

When I get mine, I'll put it on my Ibanez RGsomething and abuse it a bit, to see what it does.

I'm very curious to know if it'll send acceptable Midi data to Xbox - Rock Band - to be used in place of the pro controller, myself, since the Fender Pro controller is a MIDI pickup as well....
..not that I play Rock Band much....:lol

Don't say boo just yet...
Since I'm sure that all the Midimagic is located in the box, if I get a chance to open up the pickup itself, I may talk to Fishman about doing OEM work for them on a 7-string version. I've done Hex pickups before, but it's a major PITA.

They said that while the pickups works fine with F-spaced bridges, it's "furious whammy action" that makes is misbehave. They said it'll track dives, but it gets glitchy when you go too low.
They also mentioned that the pickup wants to be placed close to the saddle... most Floyd style bridges have the saddles pretty far back...

When I get mine, I'll put it on my Ibanez RGsomething and abuse it a bit, to see what it does.

I'm very curious to know if it'll send acceptable Midi data to Xbox - Rock Band - to be used in place of the pro controller, myself, since the Fender Pro controller is a MIDI pickup as well....
..not that I play Rock Band much....:lol

Yeah, I thought it might be because they want it 1mm from the strings and as close to the saddles as possible. The height especially once you start whammying can obviously change quite a bit. If I can whack one of these on my RG560 and basically just not use the whammy while I'm using the Triple Play, that's fine with me.

I'd definitely be interested on the 7-string side of things too, seeing as I'm mainly a 7-string player. :)

I'd definitely be interested on the 7-string side of things too, seeing as I'm mainly a 7-string player. :)

If I can do it without causing destruction, I'll look at it's construction. I'm pretty sure that each individual string coil will have it's own leads running through the cable, and into the box... so while I could probably make a workable 7-string version of the pickup, connecting it to the box may be the trick depending on how many connection point are on the board. I'm assuming each coils has it's own connection point on the board, and that each string is processes individually. If that's the case, theoretically, one could attach the extra low string at the same connection point as low-E.

I may have to buy another one for destruction purposes.

Very cool, Womac911. Please let us know how you go.

The "furious whammy action" tracking problems are hardly surprising, but I sent an enquiry to fishman many months back asking about how well it would cope with a fretless guitar. They never got back to me. I was imagining that (fretless midi guitar) with a Fernandez sustainer for awesome string parts... And a lot of other fun things.

Very cool, Womac911. Please let us know how you go.

The "furious whammy action" tracking problems are hardly surprising, but I sent an enquiry to fishman many months back asking about how well it would cope with a fretless guitar. They never got back to me. I was imagining that (fretless midi guitar) with a Fernandez sustainer for awesome string parts... And a lot of other fun things.

Yeah, I have an RG7621 that I bought with the intention of turning it into a 7-string fretless at some point. Hadn't thought of a Sustainer (as far as I know no one makes 7-string ones, so Sustainers are kinda off my radar), but the Triple Play on a fretless definitely came to mind when Womac911 said he'd look into the possibility of a 7-string pickup.

the first thing I'd try is seeing if the TP software will recognize the Axe midi in via USB and respond that way.

TriplePlay sees Axe-FX II audio Input (and Output). I tried sending PC messages using the usual IA switches I use to trigger patch changes on my GR-33 but it didn't appear to do anything in TriplePlay.

Yeah, I have an RG7621 that I bought with the intention of turning it into a 7-string fretless at some point. Hadn't thought of a Sustainer (as far as I know no one makes 7-string ones, so Sustainers are kinda off my radar), but the Triple Play on a fretless definitely came to mind when Womac911 said he'd look into the possibility of a 7-string pickup.

Sustainiac makes 7 string sustainers. Stealth Pro Overview

I own a Godin LGXT with synth access. I own a GI20 and run my tones via a laptop (Halion) and switch programs with the toggle on the Godin. I was considering this because it is wireless but seems a bit cumbersome in size. In addition I use wireless for my guitar now two Sennheisers one for the electric the other for the pizeo. Going with the Fishman would make me full wireless? Does anyone know if they have a version which can be built into a guitar like the Godin or Fender?

I own a Godin LGXT with synth access. I own a GI20 and run my tones via a laptop (Halion) and switch programs with the toggle on the Godin. I was considering this because it is wireless but seems a bit cumbersome in size. In addition I use wireless for my guitar now two Sennheisers one for the electric the other for the pizeo. Going with the Fishman would make me full wireless? Does anyone know if they have a version which can be built into a guitar like the Godin or Fender?

There are Godin guitars with the Triple Play built in

Back
Top Bottom