Fishman Triple Play - Wireless midi pickup

No interest towards midi guitar at all? Really? :eek: I got the software working properly and I just keep on falling more and more in love with this little thing. Here's a little jam clip I did some time ago:

The track is one guitar along with the Triple Play and just noodling around. This thing pairs pretty well with the fx in my opinion. :)

Interrested. (I used a Casio midi guitar a long time ago)

Do you get a glitches and other problems? From what I remember it was most difficult to play a acoustic piano sound and make it sound good and dynamic. Easier to play something lika an organ sound.

But the guy in the demo you linked to seems to play effortlessly with what he uses.

Not much interest since apparently it's 32-bit. Ridiculous for a product that has been in the works for years

Not much interest since apparently it's 32-bit. Ridiculous for a product that has been in the works for years

Not true. The TP software has been updated and it now works 32-bit and 64-bit. :) It also functions as a simple midi controller and doesn't require the software.

I've got one, too. I think it tracks really well. Don't have a GR55, but have had GR33 and Axon and it tracks at least as well as they do. My GR33 was completely unusable as a general controller. GI20 is ok, but why they made the midi out suck so much on the 33 I'll never know.

The Fishman couldn't be easier to use (except the software bundle which I needed to call tech support to install...had to wipe everything and start over..can't remember what the issue was unfortunately, but it works fine now). Also works direct into Ipad with CC kit which is really cool. Talk about portable.

I find it glitches less than other devices I've used. Installation was easy and I'd highly recommend it if you're into this sort of thing.

Last edited:
The piano is a bit difficult instrument indeed for midi guitar but not impossible. Generally no glitches or a very few but with a clean piano patch.. maybe some. If you want superb tracking and no clitches at all it might take a devoted guitar setup especially for tp. I was lazy and just plugged the darn thing and started playing. :D Works well enough for me.

They're saying in other forums that tp is by far the best solution for midi guitar. It's designed by the guy who made Axon.

I have a couple of issues with it. The bulbous end on the hex pickup looks like it would really get in the way of palm muting. I turn the GK pickup around (inverted install) so that the cable & big end of the pickup are down on the bottom out of the way. Can you install the TP pickup inverted?

It looks like it's more suited for recording than live performance. I don't want to have that USB receiver on a computer to receive the signal live.

Also, if the electric guitar signal doesn't get transmitted over the wireless and I still have to run a cable to the guitar, I haven't gained anything. Using the GK pickup into my GR-55 still seems cleaner & simpler to me. I also like the controls and where they are placed on the GK pickup better. The big toggle switch is easy to flip on the fly & the volume knob is positioned where I can quickly roll it up or down with the underside of my hand easily on the fly.

I have a couple of issues with it. The bulbous end on the hex pickup looks like it would really get in the way of palm muting. I turn the GK pickup around (inverted install) so that the cable & big end of the pickup are down on the bottom out of the way. Can you install the TP pickup inverted?

It looks like it's more suited for recording than live performance. I don't want to have that USB receiver on a computer to receive the signal live.

Also, if the electric guitar signal doesn't get transmitted over the wireless and I still have to run a cable to the guitar, I haven't gained anything. Using the GK pickup into my GR-55 still seems cleaner & simpler to me. I also like the controls and where they are placed on the GK pickup better. The big toggle switch is easy to flip on the fly & the volume knob is positioned where I can quickly roll it up or down with the underside of my hand easily on the fly.

Different strokes. If you have a wireless system for your guitar, then both guitar and midi are wireless. No can do with GR55 as far as I know. Yes, the choice to only interface with computer (or Ipad) is limiting in some ways and freeing in others. How does the 55 track with external midi? As I noted the 33 was abysmal, completely unusable. I don't know about mounting differently. I have no particular issues with how mine's mounted on a strat.

I do love the virtually unlimited nature of the sounds via computer, but it's not self contained the way the GR series is. OTOH they're not using synthesis methods (2 layer PCM) that are 10 years behind what they're using in keyboards (which the 33 and before did, not sure about 55) like Roland did for ages.

There was suppose to be an optional receiver that would connect the TP to an external midi device like a rack mounted sound generator.

Terry.

There was suppose to be an optional receiver that would connect the TP to an external midi device like a rack mounted sound generator.

Terry.

I think it is still under development. I think you could run tp into a hardware synth with some kind of midi interface since it is standard midi.

Does anybody know how the tracking and sound compare to a GR-55, online it looks to be a lot better.

I have both and it tracks better than the gr55.The gr55 tracks really well but takes much tweaking to get it right for your playing style.The TP doesn't require much tweaking(you can if you want)at all..

Last edited:
After looking at the Fishman website & watching some videos, I'm trying to figure out what the "Triple" in Triple Play is. The only thing I see them doing with the system is midi stuff. What does the "Guitar" position on the pickup unit switch to?

After looking at the Fishman website & watching some videos, I'm trying to figure out what the "Triple" in Triple Play is. The only thing I see them doing with the system is midi stuff. What does the "Guitar" position on the pickup unit switch to?

Upon opening the TP software it says Compose,Perform and Record,could be what they mean by Triple Play.

It doesn't give you any guitar sounds from the USB receiver into the computer, does it?

That is what I was really hoping for, just for the sheer convenience. Also a 7 string version. That would totally own the seven string midi guitar market :)

Back
Top Bottom