First Rehearsal with the AX8 tonight,.... :(

can you get into your auditorium and tweak from FOH? also, the clip and the preset you use will help most....especially since there are quite a few PW guys around here, myself included.

Yeah,.. I can set it up,.. I'll use a good wireless and go out there to dial in my Channel/line EQ,.. but I just know there's something goofy going on,.. I prefer to have everything "flat" across all devices if possible... we'll see..

Cool on the P&W guys! :cool:

Cool Thanks!

Ok - one other thing I noticed that I forgot to mention was that at home I had my Output at like 12:00,.. but at rehearsal I had to back it down to like 9:00 - They said they had the gain like all the way down.... That just seemed a bit strange to me as well... (?)

Cool Thanks!

Ok - one other thing I noticed that I forgot to mention was that at home I had my Output at like 12:00,.. but at rehearsal I had to back it down to like 9:00 - They said they had the gain like all the way down.... That just seemed a bit strange to me as well... (?)
not sure about eh AX8, but the AxeFxII is a 20db line level output, it can hit an unsuspecting FOH engineer pretty hard.

@WERNER1 I had a similar experience going from home to church pa years ago.
1# as stated find a really good IR...............78% of the ones I demo are useable but horrid in comparison to really good ones -totally subjective.

2# At the church I was doing worship at they spent a lot of money on the pa but not on the speakers hung from ceiling so despite my pre sets sounding so stellar on my killer home FRFR's, at the house of worship the pre sets sounded really bad due to the poor quality speakers. Likely Not your issue, just a consideration that is rarely brought up here.

Trying some of the other pre sets shared will get you much closer. Then sample more IR's. I rarely ever use the cab designed for the amp I'm using.

Also even though you would hope your in ear tone translates exactly to the house, it likely will not. So I would dial in a presets that sound great through the house system 1st then tweak as needed for the in ears.

Keep us posted

Cool Thanks!

Yeah, that a bit strange. I think 12:00 is only like 30% of volume for the AX8. Seems your preset would have to be really pumping if you had to keep it down that low just to maintain a proper gain structure. Sound guy and his settings may be the culprit and I'd certainly start there. I've had our guy accidentally set global eq, reverbs and delay to my channel and screws things up. Have him check for noise gates and thresholds as well, especially if it is a digital mixer.

Ok guys,.. first rehearsal with the AX8 tonight,.. I'd love to report that it passed with flying colors,.. but unfortunately that's not the case :(

The #1 problem I was having is that everything sounded Bright, midrangey, and harsh - Or more accurately lacked bottom end, warmth, and a full range sound if you will... I ended up turning up the Bass and Depth knobs all the way just to get it to sound decent.. (?)

So,.. I'm wondering if there's some sort of internal or global setting that I'm missing or something (Still haven't read the manual yet..)

My patches at home sound great on my monitors, when I record them and play them back on other devices they sound good.

I have always felt that our soundsystem and IEM system sort of sucked a bit of low end and warmth out of the signal, but this was really bad - I would purposely make my patches a bit dark sounding with my GT-100 and they usually sounded great in the house and IEM's.

Things that are "Different" that I know of...

1 - When I play at home I'm running Dual 1/4 into my interface (FireFace UC) - Running single XLR out live.

2 - With My GT-100 Live there were no XLR outs, so I ran a single mono out into a Direct box, then XLR to the other systems..

Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rick

I am using a wireless to stand by the sound guy and hear the room PA sound and help eq accordingly. I eq my patch at home with set of cans, my IEM, then a PA speaker... by the time I make it to our live PA adjustments are minor.
Plus following forum advice on GEQ and PEQ placement as well as cab block bass and treble cut freqs.

I'm in the process of setting up a "Dial in" session with our Sound Guy,..

So here's a Clip of a re-EQ'd version of one of the presets I used at rehearsal,.. I used my HD280 headphones during the process which sounded very midrangy to say the least... so I was dialing in a LOT more bass and low mids...

That doesn't sound terrible. You're definitely getting there.

Here's the funny thing to me with everyone recommending PEQ, GEQ, amp EQ, cab EQ, mom's homecooked EQ (ha - just making sure you're still reading). I don't use much corrective EQ, and the FOH EQ is always flat.

Some amps sound amazing with their default settings and everything at noon, when paired with the right IR. My guess is you need to start your IR quest. If you can't get your "sound" with just an amp and cab, it's either the wrong amp or the wrong IR.

For my main DC30 sound, I don't need to save a block preset. I just select DC30, put the Drive at 4 and High Cut at 3. If I'm using my LP Special, I'll switch the Amp Block EQ to Passive Console and cut -3 dB in the lows. Then I add my favorite IR and I'm ready to rock.

Not a bad sound at all, personally I prefer a more 'open' type of sound. What I'm worried about is the fact that you need to do so much EQ'ing, maybe that's actually strangling your tone a bit? Do you have the time to create a new patch from scratch with a simple routing, say for example one of the AC20s into cab 60 or 119? (Both favs of mine). Or try the AC15 with a bit of gain in the front of it with cab 119.
With both of those amps you shouldn't really struggle to get a more open sound similar to what you have in the recording.

EDIT: Listening back again, that's really not a bad sound you have at all! I quite like it!

I should have made a duplicate copy of the preset and then tweaked the copy to compare what I originally had,.. but I got in a rush :( ... This version is a bit wooly on the bottom end,... the low strings should have more of a graininess to them.. now they are very roundish' ... but it's still pretty much usable..

I'll try out all of the suggestions here as time permits,... I really appreciate all of the input!

Yeah, that a bit strange. I think 12:00 is only like 30% of volume for the AX8. Seems your preset would have to be really pumping if you had to keep it down that low just to maintain a proper gain structure. Sound guy and his settings may be the culprit and I'd certainly start there. I've had our guy accidentally set global eq, reverbs and delay to my channel and screws things up. Have him check for noise gates and thresholds as well, especially if it is a digital mixer.

I made sure to check my presets with the VU meters, so they were peaking around 0'ish .... At home 12:00 seems like a pretty average output level for my gear - what is the "Normal" output range setting for most of you guys running FOH?

I made sure to check my presets with the VU meters, so they were peaking around 0'ish .... At home 12:00 seems like a pretty average output level for my gear - what is the "Normal" output range setting for most of you guys running FOH?
I run at 12:00, like you, and also have my presets set up so they "peak" on the VU at basically 0. Other guy in the band uses an AX8 also and he runs at high noon too

12:00 is a safe bet to FOH when using the XLR outs. I run it maxed (no attenuation at the AX8), but then again I'm an FOH engineer and fellow engineers trust me when I say "bring the head amp down to 0dB, let's start from there". Modern consoles can very easily handle line level signals, but the unsuspecting or unknowledgable engineer can get weird about signals that hot.

Still has me wondering about the problem with running at 12:00 to FOH,.. Guess I'll find out Sunday...

OK, I think I came up with a pretty decent "raw" tone that starts off pretty clean,.. then goes to slightly broken up,. .the just a tad more... Whatcha think? (Pretty raw sound with just a bit of verb on it for now.. )

...I had my Output at like 12:00,.. but at rehearsal I had to back it down to like 9:00 - They said they had the gain like all the way down...
Sounds like they had a mic preamp on your channel. Introduce them to the pad or mic/line selector on the channel strip. ;)

Still has me wondering about the problem with running at 12:00 to FOH,.. Guess I'll find out Sunday...

OK, I think I came up with a pretty decent "raw" tone that starts off pretty clean,.. then goes to slightly broken up,. .the just a tad more... Whatcha think? (Pretty raw sound with just a bit of verb on it for now.. )

That sounds great.

That sounds good across the board. Are you using scenes to bring up the gain, or something else?

Back
Top Bottom