First preset gets deleted when switching to it from another preset

trancegodz

Fractal Fanatic
Two nights in a row when switching from another preset with the FC-12 to the first preset in the Axe FXIII (001) with the footswitch on the lower left of the FC-12, the preset just deleted itself. I recreated another preset for preset #001 and saved it last night and it worked fine the rest of the night, but tonight it did it again. The amp that was deleted both times was the Friedman HBE. I am still on 12.14 firmware and 1.06.07 Axe Edit, and FC-12 1.11 firmware. What would cause that?

I was switching back and forth between the first ten presets, all of which were created with firmware 12.14. It would work fine for a while switching back and forth to any of those presets, including the first one, then at random when I switched back to the first preset it would be "empty".

Last edited:
Ok, it just did it again. This time I switched from preset 10 to preset 1 on the FC-12 and preset 1 deleted itself again and now says empty. Never ever had this happen in all my years using the Axe FXII, Axe FXIIXL+, or Axe FXIII. This sure seems like a bug somewhere. If it isn't someone please tell me what is causing this.

What firmware version?

I seem to recall an issue with an older firmware that affected some users just like this.

Two nights in a row when switching from another preset with the FC-12 to the first preset in the Axe FXIII (001) with the footswitch on the lower left of the FC-12, the preset just deleted itself. I recreated another preset for preset #001 and saved it last night and it worked fine the rest of the night, but tonight it did it again. The amp that was deleted both times was the Friedman HBE. I am still on 12.14 firmware and 1.06.07 Axe Edit, and FC-12 1.11 firmware. What would cause that?

I was switching back and forth between the first ten presets, all of which were created with firmware 12.14. It would work fine for a while switching back and forth to any of those presets, including the first one, then at random when I switched back to the first preset it would be "empty".
We've had several other reports of this over the years but have been unable to reproduce it. My guess is that the preset isn't actually being deleted but the "shadow copy" is being erased. If you reboot the unit it will probably come back.

What firmware version?

I seem to recall an issue with an older firmware that affected some users just like this.

I am on Axe FXIII 12.14 firmware, Axe Edit 1.06.07 firmware, and FC-12 1.11 firmware.

I did have Axe Edit running at the times it has happened. I wonder if that might be it. Should you not change presets with the FC-12 if you have Axe Edit running?

We've had several other reports of this over the years but have been unable to reproduce it. My guess is that the preset isn't actually being deleted but the "shadow copy" is being erased. If you reboot the unit it will probably come back.

Thank you for your response. I'll try rebooting the Axe FXIII if it happens again tonight and see if it comes back.

What is this "shadow copy" concept?
A RAM copy of the version in flash memory?

Just happened again tonight. This time the first preset deleted itself when I switched to it from another preset inside Axe Edit. So it's doing it whether I change the preset with the FC-12 or change it with Axe Edit. Turning the Axe FXIII off and back on restored the first preset like you said it would. I then used it the rest of the night with no problems.

Last edited:
Same thing has been happening to me over several FW versions now. At some point i gave up and I also just leave the 1st preset empty. Just hoping it w start to spread to other slots eventually! :-(

I guess leaving the first preset empty is an option for now.

Here's some more info in case it might help Fractal to figure out why this is happening to some of us.

The night it first happened here I had just bought the Ownhammer Fman cab pack and was auditioning the cabs for hours, then had loaded a bunch of them into the Axe FXIII using Axe Edit cab manage. Then later I rearranged some of them, and finally hit the cab refresh button. Everything worked fine for a while then it happened for the first time.

Every time it has happened over the last few days I had been editing presets and Axe Edit was on. At random switching to the first preset from another preset using the FC-12, the first preset would be empty. Then last night the first preset deleted itself when I switched to it from another preset inside Axe Edit. So it is happening whether switching presets with the FC-12 or switching presets with Axe Edit. In both case Axe Edit was on. So it seems like it might have something to do with Axe Edit.

When this has happened to you other guys did you have Axe Edit on at the time?

I'd have to go back and run a few tests, but I'm pretty sure I had the same thing occur regardless of whether Axe-Edit was on or not.

Well it just happened again today. Here's what I did that caused it to happen.

1. Turned on Axe FXIII. It opens to preset #1.
2. Opened Axe Edit.
3. I have a layout on the FC-12 set for effects. I played some and turned on and off various effects and channels with the FC-12.
4. I switched to preset #2 with the FC-12 and played a bit.
5. I switched back to preset #1 with the FC-12 and it was empty again.
6. I turned off the Axe FXIII waited a few seconds and turned it back on and preset #1 was back again.

Out of curiosity, if you copy a factory preset back into the #1 slot, does it still happen? I'm wondering if it could be some weird common factor in the preset itself.

Out of curiosity, if you copy a factory preset back into the #1 slot, does it still happen? I'm wondering if it could be some weird common factor in the preset itself.

I rebuilt preset #1 from scratch several times before I found out I could turn the Axe FXIII off and back on and it would come back. I did try copying several other presets into slot #1 and it still happened.

Ok guys, it's not Axe Edit being on causing it. It just deleted the first preset by switching presets on the FC-12 without Axe Edit even being turned on tonight.

Well I went for a few days after updating to firmware 13.01 without it happening, but it happened again tonight. I switched from another preset to preset #1 using Axe Edit 106.09 and preset #1 is "empty". This is getting really old.

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 11.46.06 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom