First minutes with the new Axe...is it already broken? PLEASE HELP!

thekonas

Inspired
Hi all,
The UPS driver just pulled up and dropped off my new AxeFX II. I've been holding my breath for a few days!

I documented the opening for posterity and because I'm a nerd...
I plugged in my strat to the front end and my headphones into the front jack and powered up. The screen read something "Bassman" and then went blank green. It has stayed that way throughout several power-up and power-down cycles. Uhg.
Any recommendations? I have already sent Fractal an email, and hope to hear back. So far, not a great start. i hope that it is operator error and something very simple.

Also,
Is it possible that they sent me a factory "return" unit? I say this because there is no plastic film on the screen and some of the screws have screwdriver marks on them. Hmmm.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Doug

1c972f3e.jpg

95e5f221.jpg

ceedcece.jpg

b326460f.jpg

d7701210.jpg

Attachments

• 923cef36.jpg
    923cef36.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 91
Thanks for the quick reply. This is not helping my case with the wife! Is there something I can do to re-set it?

Fractal has already emailed me back, I may be popping the case to check the ribbon cable. I'll keep you posted!

Too bad my Fractal stickers were trashed as well. :cry , but the least of my current problems.

I don't know how comfortable you are opening it up but you might want to and make sure all the cables are secure etc. (with it unplugged of course!!!)

Ribbon Connector Check Part II

Working with Marty at Fractal Support...first thing, my hat's off to Fractal's timely response. He assured me that they do not sell returns as new and the lack of protective film on the screen must be a shipping mistake.

With his permission, a little research, and the recommendations here, I proceeded to check the ribbon cables.

This picture was posed, I turned the power off before proceeding.
16cda7d4.jpg

a4f13207.jpg

c599ea6c.jpg

1db62099.jpg

So far...so good.

Ribbon Connector Check Part II

Continued
36e3b18b.jpg

0323914b.jpg

b18b3751.jpg

d729480f.jpg

All of the connectors were tight. I removed one of them to be sure and reseated it.

Drumroll please.....
eecd9172.jpg

Looks like this one is on its way back to Fractal :cry

I am able to listen to the unit through my headphones, sounds fantastic! No regrets here... great customer support and I am sure they will make it right. My wife listed through the headphones and said, "It sounds so much nicer than that orange box thingy you had.... and this preset sounds like your Two-Rock. Things are looking up indeed! :mrgreen

If it makes sound that most likely means the LCD failed. Judging by the box, I'd say it got damaged in shipping.

Bummer! I had missed the attached box image. Unreal how much abuse the shippers deliver. It was worth the shot to make sure it wasn't the cable as that happened to mine on route. Hopefully you will get a replacement quickly.

Love the wife’s "orange thingy" comment! Classic!

[OT] I've got to say, that having worked at IBM in the past, I wish a lot of our customers had documented their hardware issues and attempts to rectify them photographically like this! ;)

Hah!
I'm just a dumb Marine who can't remember much after I take something apart!

Fractal will make it right, and you will love it. You might try installing the usb drivers and axe-edit until you send it back.
Just something so you can play with it.

i feel for you, thekonas. and thank you for your service. (civilian salute)

and i'm sure you already know this, but you have an awesome wife. she not only knows what a preset is; she even knows when it sounds like your amp!
that's too cool!

jimi

Thanks for the support all,
I've noodled through scores of presets just running into the effect loop of the SP22. I haven't turned off the amp or cab sims and it still sounds awesome. What a great piece of gear! Thanks for the support for the military as well. Seems to be waning these days as people become more and more worried about the zombie-apocolypse. At least I can say my house is prepared 8)

"Zombie Apocolypse" - Doh!

Glad you got to at least hear the box,
it will have been well worth the effort
once you have it squared away.

I think that both you and your wife will soon be duly impressed!

Back
Top Bottom