Firmware Version 7.13 Now Available

mitch236 said:
javajunkie said:
The only critical time is after the checksum, when the firmware is erased and the new one loads. That is about 15 0r 20 seconds.

To take a wild guess, they probably had a shipment of EPROM w/ some bad chips.

I always wonder why you have to return the unit after there is a firmware failure? Why can't the end used reload the firmware? What does the manufacturer do to restore the unit?

Replace the EPROM chip for you.

mitch236 said:
javajunkie said:
The only critical time is after the checksum, when the firmware is erased and the new one loads. That is about 15 0r 20 seconds.

To take a wild guess, they probably had a shipment of EPROM w/ some bad chips.

I always wonder why you have to return the unit after there is a firmware failure? Why can't the end used reload the firmware? What does the manufacturer do to restore the unit?

There have been several people that just had Fractal send them the EPROM. You can't reload the EPROM because the code for loading the EPROM is on the EPROM. Plus, why in the world would you want to try and reload firmware on a bad chip?

javajunkie said:
There have been several people that just had Fractal send them the EPROM. You can't reload the EPROM because the code for loading the EPROM is on the EPROM. Plus, why in the world would you want to try and reload firmware on a bad chip?

Sorry, that's not what I was asking. I was talking about when you lose power during the critical time that you mentioned. That happened to my G-system and it wouldn't boot up after that. I have to believe the eprom was fine since I did firmware updates prior to that. I had to send the unit back and they fixed whatever the power failure caused.

mitch236 said:
javajunkie said:

Sorry, that's not what I was asking. I was talking about when you lose power during the critical time that you mentioned. That happened to my G-system and it wouldn't boot up after that. I have to believe the eprom was fine since I did firmware updates prior to that. I had to send the unit back and they fixed whatever the power failure caused.

I answered that in my first half of the answer. To fix that you would need an EEPROM programmer which are not exactly cheap.

Many modern BIOS on computer motherboards have shadow BIOSs which the can revert to in the event of a failure but this takes memory space. Also, it is not 100%. I had a motherboard with feature that manage to corrupt the shadow bios as well. I had to get them to send me a new chip.

lexman said:
onebaldbloke said:
Hi Bob
Fitted my new EPROM last night, and I'm up and running with 7.12. The EPROM could be a bit tricky to remove as it's the PLCC type - so it sits flush inside it's socket unlike a standard IC that you can easilly lever out. Fortunately, I have a PLCC extractor tool that gently lifts out the chip (http://www.sourcingmap.com/compact-plcc ... 20075.html). Not sure about upgading to 7.13 though - I think I'll wait for something more tempting.

And, just thought I mention the great service I had from G66.

Thanks mate.
I will hopefully see the new EPROM soon.

Just updated from 7.04 - 7.13 and all is fine no dramas with checksums or eprom.... completed on first attempt

First chance to do an update and have time to check presets obviously for a while....
now to some more programming... :mrgreen:

Just wanted to say that after changing some settings in my Firestudio I managed to update without any problems. And also, I got the editor to work. (For some reason I have to set the Sample Rate in the Firestudio to 44.1 KHz, otherwise I get Bad Checksums all over the place. But after updating/editing I can set it back to 48.0 KHz, and everything works fine. Not the most comfy way of doing things, but atleast it works now, so I'll just leave it at that) :geek:

BennyBanana said:
Just wanted to say that after changing some settings in my Firestudio I managed to update without any problems. And also, I got the editor to work. (For some reason I have to set the Sample Rate in the Firestudio to 44.1 KHz, otherwise I get Bad Checksums all over the place. But after updating/editing I can set it back to 48.0 KHz, and everything works fine. Not the most comfy way of doing things, but atleast it works now, so I'll just leave it at that) :geek:

Why would this be so?
What effect would the samplerate have on the update?

Any ideas?

javajunkie said:
I answered that in my first half of the answer. To fix that you would need an EEPROM programmer which are not exactly cheap.

Sorry, I must have missed that! Thanks for being patient!!!

onebaldbloke said:
If I had access to an EPROM programmer (which I may), is there anything that can be done with my "deceased" EPROM?

Over,
Bob.

You would open the window (sticker on top?) zapp it with UV light
to reset everything, close the window and up load the
"bios like" operating program..... if you can get it from the manufacturer or Fractal.
Then you will need to upload the latest Firmware... again depending on help from Cliff.

http://www.tequipment.net/eeToolsChipMax.html

;)

AndrewSimon said:
onebaldbloke said:
If I had access to an EPROM programmer (which I may), is there anything that can be done with my "deceased" EPROM?

Over,
Bob.

to reset everything, close the window and up load the
"bios like" operating program..... if you can get it from the manufacturer or Fractal.
Then you will need to upload the latest Firmware... again depending on help from Cliff.

http://www.tequipment.net/eeToolsChipMax.html

;)

Then when you uploaded the firmware again, you would probably find out the chip was faulty and it would fail again ;)
In the meantime fractal could have already shiped you another chip.

AndrewSimon said:
to reset everything,
This would be the original type of EPROM. Here are the types Read Only Memory of which I am aware. There are almost certainly more now, as this information is ca. 20 years old:

ROM - Read Only Memory. Programmed permanently during manufacture.

EPROM - Erasable/Programmable Read Only Memory. Blank at manufacture, electrically programmable via application of a voltage to a specific pin. Prior to reprogramming, must be erased with UV light via the above procedure

EEPROM (E^2PROM) - Electrically Erasable/Programmable Read Only Memory, also called "flash." Can be written and erased in circuit. This is the type of memory used for firmware in things like automotive ECUs, as updates can then be uploaded by the dealer.

The Axe-Fx EPROM is the last type. If the chip develops any bad memory addresses, it must be replaced. It appears that the bootloader is contained in this chip as well, given the total seizure of Axe-Fxs that have suffered failures of this part. Some microprocessors have enough on-chip EPROM to carry their own bootloader program. In a system with a bootloader in CPU on-chip memory, an off-chip EPROM can be replaced with a blank part and new firmware uploaded in the field. The Axe-Fx is not such a device. If your EPROM dies, you need to replace it witha a preprogrammed part in order for it to boot.

great !! i'm afraid to do the update (i'm still in 7.04) because i use a lot the "4*12 30W" sim, i've read that it has been removed after 7.04 fimrmware ..and that it's back again (?) , but is it exactly the same IR ??
thanks for your answer
stef

stef herbuel said:
great !! i'm afraid to do the update (i'm still in 7.04) because i use a lot the "4*12 30W" sim, i've read that it has been removed after 7.04 fimrmware ..and that it's back again (?) , but is it exactly the same IR ??
thanks for your answer
stef
I hesitated for a long while (because I relied heavily on the Recto2 and the V30 cab models, which Cliff had changed). In a later version (I think it was 7.07) he replaced those two cabs again, with something closer to pre-7.05 (in fact, many here found that these new models were substantial improvements over the old pre-7.05 models). I made the switch in 7.07, and never regretted it.

Try it out, and you can always go back to 7.04 if you don't like the results... but with the new Recto2 and V30 (plus some fabulous IRs from various contributors), I know I was able to more than recover from the loss of these old models.

Daniel

R.E. The latest V30 (brought in at 7.07 or 7.08, I think): -
Don't be afraid to try it. It's not too different to the old one, just IMHO, improved. It's clearer, just better I think. I didn't even tweak my patches much, it just came right in and worked great for me with little hassle (YMMV on that one, depends on the tone you're using).

stef herbuel said:
thanks for your answer
stef

Hey Stef, I don't know if you mis-typed it or not... but as far as I know the 4x12 30w didn't get changed at all... from the release notes... which I know everyone reads :D

Removed “4x12 V30” IR and replaced with Marshall V30 IR.
Removed “4x12 Recto2” IR and replaced with new Oversize Mesa IR.

and then in a later update...

Reprocecessed the following IR’s for better sound quality:
2x12 Boutique
4x10 Bass
4x12 75W
4x12 T75

So don't be such a pussy and update already! :D ;) :D

Back
Top Bottom