Firmware Version 10.03 Up

Gencives said:
I'm a FRFR user and didnt like it ;)

Did you actually spend any time re-tweaking the Amp Block within your Presets?

A lot of people here seem to think that after a firmware update that affects the Amp Block, that their Presets programmed with the previous firmware should just magically sound better or that they should sound the same as before.
That's not how it works.
After a firmware update like this one you *will* need to re-tweak your presets.

IMO
The Axe sounds more like the real amps it attempts to model now, with this new firmware, than it ever did.
I can't see how that is a bad thing.
It was already pretty close. Now it's even closer.

We probably don't like to admit it to ourselves, because of the amount of coin we all put out to buy an Axe, but we're all really beta testers here while Cliff works his thing out.
Cliff's thing is worth it IMO and it's a privilege to be apart of the whole process and to actually have input into that process via these forums.

There's a low-key feeling and a funkiness to this company that I really like and that I find totally refreshing in the business world.
I, for one, am happy to be along for the ride.

smilefan said:
Some of my gain
patches I had at "10" on the presence pre-update. Haven't been
able to rescue any of those.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Care to upload one of those presets, and to post your I/O and Global amp settings?
Something seems not right.

One of the biggest improvement (probably someone already pointed it out) is that all patches sound great through headphones as well. Even after using a Blocking PEQ, through headphones my high-gain patches never sounded good. Now, they sound just as tight and clear. :mrgreen:

emperor_black said:
One of the biggest improvement (probably someone already pointed it out) is that all patches sound great through headphones as well. Even after using a Blocking PEQ, through headphones my high-gain patches never sounded good. Now, they sound just as tight and clear. :mrgreen:

+1 I feel the same way.

I just upgraded from 10.01 to 10.03. Brought Axe-EDIT to latest version .185 if I remember right. I can report that none of the presets sound like a blanket has been thrown over them, to my ears at least, but I do notice that when I play my balls feel more heavy and my sack feels a bit tighter. Needless to say that was an unexpected benefit. :lol:

Actually I had been holding off upgrading because of the whole sysex id change. But really it was a piece of cake. I unistalled the version of the editor I had been running. I used MIDI-OX to go from 10.01 to 10.03 (or maybe I was on 10.00) and that was no problem. Installed the latest editor .185 and launched it. It didn't connect but as soon as I put the right sysex id I was golden.

mworkman said:
Actually I had been holding off upgrading because of the whole sysex id change. But really it was a piece of cake. I unistalled the version of the editor I had been running. I used MIDI-OX to go from 10.01 to 10.03 (or maybe I was on 10.00) and that was no problem. Installed the latest editor .185 and launched it. It didn't connect but as soon as I put the right sysex id I was golden.

I used MIDI-OX upgrade too. The black on blacker Axe-Fx editor theme is no use to me since I can't see it. My request for other color schemes on several occasions have had no result is that area.

emperor_black said:

In my experience with 10.03 so far, I would say that in general the tones transport from one system to another better. I create tones using Adam A7s, both without EQ and with an EQ to make them completely flat. Those tones then work fairly well at church where I've got the mains and my monitor completely flat. But in my car they sounded bad. They sound much better in both places now - sit very well in a mix without poking out or being dull. Whooot! :D Is all I can say.

I spent the better part of today reworking my patches and I'm reversing
my position. 10.03 is a noticeable improvement. Things sit better, and
more naturally in the mix. The highs are smoother (which isn't always
what folks want, i.e. modern metal). Effects sound more present and lush.

I was so heavily invested in 10.01 sonics, that the thought of redoing
300+ patches seemed like work. Now that I've slogged my way thru,
I have a better sounding Axe. But its alot of work the re-EQ and rebalance
all patch elements to recover the original feel of the patch. Not nearly
as simple as just adding some more presence and HF Res to the mix, IMHO.

smilefan said:
I spent the better part of today reworking my patches and I'm reversing
my position. 10.03 is a noticeable improvement. Things sit better, and
more naturally in the mix. The highs are smoother (which isn't always
what folks want, i.e. modern metal). Effects sound more present and lush.

I was so heavily invested in 10.01 sonics, that the thought of redoing
300+ patches seemed like work. Now that I've slogged my way thru,
I have a better sounding Axe. But its alot of work the re-EQ and rebalance
all patch elements to recover the original feel of the patch. Not nearly
as simple as just adding some more presence and HF Res to the mix, IMHO.

Hey I'm having some trouble getting some of my high gain tones back to where i'm happy, I was wondering if there was any sort of tweaking you were doing that kept coming up over and over. Like did you notice you always had to adjust similar things the same way to get close? Or any advice as to how you approached.

Add me to the list of really liking this update. I always thought 10 did a little too much to the top end and made it a little too edgy. It took me a while to get my ears used to 10 but now with 10.03, it took no time to like the results. Smoother is the best way to describe it for me. Like others are saying, to me, it sounds much more like the real amps they are supposed to sound like.
I acutally stopped playing the axe live after 10 and went back to my tube amps. I have it racked in my studio for recording. I might have to put the axe through a rehearsal again with this update.
It isn't a dramatic change but definitley noticable.
BTW...not a high gain player so I don't have an opinion about how it has affected those amps.

Loving the update!!! Had to re tweak here and there but the tweaks seam more resposive where they should be. Haven't messed with the higher gain stuff but my HBE patch was growling when it should with touch responsive feedback and gain. Still working out the presence and depth which are much more responsive in my opinion. Working more tomorrow!!!

Just updated. Im liking it.

I had to tweak the presence up a bit, but my HBE go-to patch sounds great. Tried some cleaner stuff too, and after some presence tweaking, all is good.

Ive been using my Ultra almost 3 years come January 2011. I think I started on firmware version 4 or 5. Each new version has been evolutionary to me. No huge difference to my easy going ears. This one did tend to smooth out some highs just a tad, even after adjusting the presence & treble. Its a good thing, i think. You can still get plenty of bite & raunchyness if you desire.

What will we all do with ourselves when the updates stop, and we have a fully-evolved, finished product?

Man this update is awesome. Before I was trying to tame highs with advance parameters and EQ. Not anymore, I have the clarity and cut without the top end being harsh. The over all top end sounds more pleasing. Major kudos goes out to Cliff on this update and thanks for fixing the uber bug I posted. Yes I do play metal and this update definitely kicks major ass IMHO!

I had really made 10.01 work for me. 10.03 was as if someone
had snuck into the room and rearranged all the furniture.
300+ rooms, to be exact. But, overall a very hearable improvement.
Very musical.

What I haven't been able to get yet, is a great modern metal
tone. Which is kind of the sonic opposite of 10.03. Notes popping
off the fretboard like .22 cal shells, zingy presence, crushing
sandpapery gain, an extremely "forward" feel in the mix, as if
your face was 2 inches from the speaker. Still working on getting
that to my satisfaction.

I wish there was a HF Res "active" mode, as mentioned previously,
to model the 10.01 sound. Some of us really liked that very forward
treble feel.

IMO 10.03 is better and more realistic. Thank you FAS but what's with the SYSEX ID: "00 01 74"? I can't change it and I can't upload custom IR's anymore. HELP!

Back
Top Bottom