Firmware Version 10.03 Up

i like 10.03 very much - fender models are crisp but not harsh (especially with my ash tele and bardens - mmmmmh) - high gain models like the soldano are a little bit tighter - all in all well done cliff :D

thanx

Hmmm... I'm now very confused.

A lot of folks swear it's the greatest update ever.
Several users said it "added a blanket" (I interpret this as muffled high end)
I just upgraded, and I get nasty high end fizzies. Exactly the opposite of what the few disappointed people complained about. I'm having trouble dialing out that high end, so also not quite happy with the firmware (yet), but for opposite reasons. I skipped the last f/w version, but still, that doesn't explain what I'm hearing... Anyone else with similar results?

I just upgraded last night and found it to be what the updated was for. I started using Scott's 2.52 HF setting and I had to bring those patches back up to 5.0. The presence control worked better and their was a slight harshness on the high end that was 'smoother' and sounded better. In most cases it was subtle but as you moved the presence up it you could tell the difference.

ok, who will be kind enough to share some 10.03-tweaked patches? I'm sure those of us with trouble dialing it in would appreciate a better starting point...

I'm looking forward to going in to practice tonight and defaulting the amp values (then moving back to my amp sim of choice) and starting with a fresh set ears.

big_ears.jpg

Dpoirier said:
ok, who will be kind enough to share some 10.03-tweaked patches? I'm sure those of us with trouble dialing it in would appreciate a better starting point...

Email me your current 'go to' patch and I'll work it for you and then tell you what I did.

jhuggins said:
I always find it amusing that with every firmware update I hear people talking about how they weren't really ever satisfied with x or y before and now it's better. I know they aren't saying that they didn't like the axe before, just saying that since I've had the axe since around 8.00 every major change has been for the most part accepted by all and a long winded honeymoon phase ensues. There is hardly anything negative ever said by most dedicated forum members about any parameters being off and sometimes when something is brought to attention they are criticized (seems to be happening less as of late.) Just an observation, I'm as big a Cliff fan as the next, love my axe fx, it'll just be interesting to see what problems you guys bottle up inside until 11.0 :D

So true. Still gonna upgrade though. ;)

I decided to keep slugging away at 10.03. I've gotten
some gain patches back to where I had them, but this
is a pain. I do like what it does for effects and clean tones.
I've had to dial back most reverbs and delays as 10.03 seems
to bring them out in the mix. Some of my gain
patches I had at "10" on the presence pre-update. Haven't been
able to rescue any of those.

Seems to me this update is ideal for FRFR users, but not as
much for amp/guitar cab folks.

sprint said:
I have not upgraded yet as I'm afraid of losing the present feeling of my gain patches (I fell in love with this when it appeared in 10). The posts referring to the feeling of reduced gain and a darker sound in 10.03 have got me spooked. At the same time I don't want to get stuck in 10.01 so +1 on being able to turn this latest feature on / off as desired.

Despite anxiety I upgraded.

Was an anti-climax for me as I can't tell the difference between my 10.01 tone and 10.03 tone despite making before and after clips to listen to (and checking carefully that the upgrade did in fact work :) ). I'm a tin ear'd noob at this so I guess it's there but I can't hear it.

So still ignorantly happy (and up to date!!! :D :D ).

I think I may have to roll back the upgrade... While the amp models sound better creating them from scratch, All my patches lost the good tone I had. I imagine that the HF issue I already compensated for in my settings. I don't know what to do.

I think I'm going to record some A/B's...

Wow. VERY impressed with this update. Just got back from a very loud band practice. Using Mark IV, Recto and Boutique Models. Removed all blocking EQ's, made presence active and upped it a little on each patch. Smooth top-end and punchy tones all night. The Mark IV sounded just like my old Mark IV rig and really brought a smile to my face. Using Atomic MB50 and Port City OS 2 x 12 cabinet with vintage 30's. Prior to this update, my patches sounded like there was a blanket over the cab because I had to cut the unnatural high end. I was actually losing faith in the Axe-fx and was considering going back to my mesa boogie head/cab rig. Cliff thanks so much for this one!

I love this update.

I was starting to feel something was missing with 10.01. With 10.03 my ear boners are back. I just played for 2 hours straight on a JTM patch that I NEVER used before because it seemed lacking. I stood up and just stared silently at my Ultra and allowed a single tear to fall down my cheek like that Indian guy in front of all the garbage. But in a good way, you know?

Just got in from practice with my "fresh set of ears"... the same Recto New patch sounded good this time around, all I had to do was crank up the output 1 some more and it sounded really good! I went back to the settings and noticed presence at 0, low, mid, high all set to 5... I can't remember what my main was set to (I think it was set to 6)... I had a PEQ in there because the mids and lows weren't growling as much as I would have liked... it kicked but with the GEQ in there. Later on during practice I tried to switch to the Das Metall, it was too dark... I tried the Energyball and it actually was a bit similar to the Recto New... I then landed on ODS and f*******ck that sucker was waaaay too loud!!! Much louder than the other sims (the Train Wreck is a bit lower but louder than all the others too), is this normal?!?!?!? I finally got the 5105 and the low end was much better and distortion was less "spikey" or "broken"... I really liked this distortion. I just needed a break and go back with a fresh set of ears. It's still a bit darker and "looser" than in the last couple of updates but I've found some good ground. Thanks a bunch for this update Cliff...

smilefan said:
I decided to keep slugging away at 10.03. I've gotten

I'm a FRFR user and didnt like it ;)

With 2 x 12MA's or my Marshall 4x12 it is sounding great from cleans to high gain - much more natural to my ears...increased the presence and all is golden. Infact the presence can go higher now without getting harsh. Definite improvement on the high end.

Based on this thread, I nearly didn't update, I am so glad I did. Not hearing what the "no" camp are that is for sure, maybe all that high end and fizz and chime has shot your ears!

Thank you again, Cliff! I think this new firmware is a great improvement, it's quite subtle, but I think guitars fit better in the mix with this new update, you can turn up the highs and it doesn't sound harsh.

smilefan said:
Idecided to keep slugging away at 10.03. I've gotten

What Amp Type are you using where you feel the need to have its Presence parameter on 10?
smilefan said:
I
Nonsense.

I started loading 10.03 before I left for work this morning. When I get home, I get to see what all the fuss is about....

D

Back
Top Bottom