Firmware 18.04 is soooooo GOOD!

It's so nice that we don't have to know all this stuff to use it. With time, you'll know this like the back of your hand.

I should really upgrade from v14, but I don't see the point since I'm pretty much set with my tones on v14. I seriously cannot be bothered to re-tweak once again because of a FW update.
hay Kostein save all your banks, cabs, presets from v14 then dive in and load up 18.04 and the accompanying presets and give it a whirl!
and why not do some sample recordings playing the same thing on both firmwares to compare later?

Upgrading from 17.x to 18.x did bork some of my presets as well, particularly due to the resets in the advanced parameters. I had several adjustments in the speaker page (low resonance frequency and level) to get the bass response I wanted while having the Cut switch enabled, trying to stay out of bass territory. As it turns out, Cut removed things a bit too drastically for my liking. I reverted back to 17.x to make sure I wanted to upgrade, but there was something in the feel and response of 18 that I 'missed' in 17, although I only noticed whatever was 'missing' after having played with 18 for a bit. Which is crazy to me, since I hardly consider myself a tone 'connaisseur' or pretend to know anything about playing tube amps.

Anyway, now on 18 I'm leaving Cut untouched, instead doing my lo- and hi-cuts at the end of my signal chain in a PEQ block (shelving filters, range from 100 to 6500 Hz IIRC). With that, I simply re-evaluated my amp block settings, which then only needed small adjustments to bass-mid-treble to get the tone I'm happy with again; no need to go into any advanced parameters for me. In case of my Friedman BE-based patches it also involved some tweaking of the gain and master volume to get in the ballpark again. I don't think I'm there yet in that particular case, I'll probably check out some of the new Factory IRs to see if that helps.

But yes, I've had to rethink my presets a bit, but for the better as they're even less involved/complicated to dial in now. Moreover, the amount of re-tweaking I've had to do has been rather minimal. I suppose it helps I'm pretty set in my amp type and IR choices, requiring less time to search for something that works for me.

I've had the same problem many of you describe here, found out yesterday that Power Amp Modeling in the Global menu was turned off. Pretty sure I never did that, so it might have happened when updating to FW18. Anyone else check if Power Amp Modeling suddenly was turned off after updating?
Anyways, turning it back on fixed the clipping problem for me.

It's so nice that we don't have to know all this stuff to use it. With time, you'll know this like the back of your hand.

Yes and no. This is actually quite essensial information, that I would've liked to known from day one.
In fact, the options for mikes on these cabs should've been disabled.

But of course, in time you learn more and more about this crazy machine.
My biggest problem is that it's in the back of a bus 99% of the time, so I never get to really dig into it.
I bring my mac and do a few quick tweaks every now and then during sound check, then it's showtime and back in the bus.
I really can't wait to get my hands on a AX8 asap, so I can put my Axe-FX II XL in the studio and keep the AX8 in the bus :)

Exactly same thoughts here i`m still in FW13.07 all sounds wonderful ,i would like to have only those Digital numbers/values for Output level:s. But updating and re-tweaking all presets again ,is little bit too big journey for me IMO. If i would have only 1-10 presets then that would be fine ,but over 300 presets re-tweaking its lots of work for sure.

I should really upgrade from v14, but I don't see the point since I'm pretty much set with my tones on v14. I seriously cannot be bothered to re-tweak once again because of a FW update.

Exactly same thoughts here i`m still in FW13.07 all sounds wonderful ,i would like to have only those Digital numbers/values for Output level:s. But updating and re-tweaking all presets again ,is little bit too big journey for me IMO. If i would have only 1-10 presets then that would be fine ,but over 300 presets re-tweaking its lots of work for sure.

Wow, so you did the Soldano tonematch on fw 13? it sounds f... great in fw 18 FYI :eagerness:

Yes FW13.07 was all Live Tone Matched presets ,ADA MP-1 IIC+ SLO Triaxis Mark IV what there is 8) Thanks yeah i was little bit surprised that FW18 did job very well whit those SLO:s ,you did good work also whit handle those SLO LTM tones bro :encouragement:

Wow, so you did the Soldano tonematch on fw 13? it sounds f... great in fw 18 FYI :eagerness:

Aha. Well i was really tired last night (but could not sleep), so i thought i was directed at me. Sorry if i insulted you. Not my intention, and obvously not yours.
I think i'm a little dissapointed with myself, since i forgot to reset 8)

By Audi; yes VW-group. I think Audi i usually mentioned because they are the hightech part of VW..

I detected nothing insulting, man.

If I'm not mistaken, Audi's taken over engines for Lambo.

Try this: do the experiment you described, then set Proximity to zero. Do you still hear a difference between None and Null?

If you use Stereo ultraRes, the problem will become apparent to you. If you'd like to really hurt your ears, try headphones.

You see, I've used Null many times in the past and am aware of its function. I bought cab pack 10 and was experimenting with various cabs, some mic'd rear and came across this issue, using both the factory IRs and the purchased ones. I don't often use the various mics but have occasionally without issue. Once again, try using Stereo Ultrares like I instructed. I'm sure its a bug. If not, I have no problem admitting to user error. Would just like to know what I'm doing wrong, considering I never had this problem a year ago. Maybe its my new XL+.

I've tried it, and I use it regularly on several of my presets. It's working as expected for me. As long as you set Proximity to zero—on both cabs—there's no difference.

What are you hearing that sounds wrong?

I've tried it, and I use it regularly on several of my presets. It's working as expected for me. As long as you set Proximity to zero—on both cabs—there's no difference.

What are you hearing that sounds wrong?

I've set it up repeatedly just as I stated earlier. i.e., use Blues Junior preset...click Stereo UltraRes...for some reason the second cab comes up Recto...switch it to Blues Junior cab ..set one ,or both, to Null...doesn't matter where proximity is set. Then play . Within a few seconds it sounds like a horrible blown speaker. Switch out of Stereo Ultrares...everything's fine. Works every time for me.

BTW...what's the point of setting proximity to zero? I've tried it with the same result. And why set to Null on both or proximity the same...I've tried that as well with same result? Are there rules written somewhere? Definitely not in the manual.

I've set it up repeatedly just as I stated earlier. i.e., use Blues Junior preset...click Stereo UltraRes...for some reason the second cab comes up Recto...switch it to Blues Junior cab ..set one ,or both, to Null...doesn't matter where proximity is set. Then play . Within a few seconds it sounds like a horrible blown speaker. Switch out of Stereo Ultrares...everything's fine. Works every time for me.

BTW...what's the point of setting proximity to zero? I've tried it with the same result. And why set to Null on both or proximity the same...I've tried that as well with same result? Are there rules written somewhere? Definitely not in the manual.

This is occurring because changing the Cab block to stereo UltraRes is pushing the CPU usage up well over 90% (94% here). Whenever you hear fuzzy tones or weird crackling always check your CPU usage. If it's over 90% then that's probably the cause.

This is occurring because changing the Cab block to stereo UltraRes is pushing the CPU usage up well over 90% (94% here). Whenever you hear fuzzy tones or weird crackling always check your CPU usage. If it's over 90% then that's probably the cause.

Thank you. 97% on my unit...only using the basic preset and the factors I mentioned earlier. I've never reached that level before so never thought to look at CPU level.

Hmm well I just tested the plexi settings I had saved only on 18.4.
I might need to reload 18.4

My settings changed and for the worse.
I dont know what happened but I just went from dialed in
too un usable.

The sound of the amp as it sits now is unusable.
thats from 18.3 to 18.4...

Not sure whats up but I might need to reload it.
Real glad I backed up.

Something is not right..
Its thrown my settings off so bad they are not usable.
Way to bright...

Has anyone else had this issue ?

@Cliff: nice catch.

The point was to demonstrate that, without the proximity effect, "Null" and "None" are identical, which you seemed to be disagreeing with. I'm glad it's all sorted out now.

TexAxe: Did you try resetting the axe yet? I think it's Utility/reset. I didn't notice any funkiness when I updated, but I must admit the updates came out so fast I didn't get to spend much time with them. My presets were sounding better with the update though. minor adjustments and they are just fine.

I guess we've about crapped all over boogieman's "FW18 sounding sooooo gooooooood" thread by now. lol

TexAxe: Did you try resetting the axe yet? I think it's Utility/reset. I didn't notice any funkiness when I updated, but I must admit the updates came out so fast I didn't get to spend much time with them. My presets were sounding better with the update though. minor adjustments and they are just fine.

I guess we've about crapped all over boogieman's "FW18 sounding sooooo gooooooood" thread by now. lol

No I had no Idea about resetting paramaters I just did that in utility fingers crossed.
Not my intention to crap on anyones thread but to rather solve the issue see if anyone else
had this experience..

I dialed in the ODS amp without any issue but noticed other amps had changed for the worse.
I thought it might be something I did.

I tried the reset maybe that will fix it. I hope so
I had amazing tone in 18.3 the best to date and that was all messed up..

Praying its something internal ive not switched yet ie resetting parameters
that might help alot thank you...

I wonder if boogieman tried that ?
6 am here cant play it till the sun is up..

I did set the parameters again 18.3 sounded amazing best yet so far so
do not know what ive done..

@Cliff: nice catch.

The point was to demonstrate that, without the proximity effect, "Null" and "None" are identical, which you seemed to be disagreeing with. I'm glad it's all sorted out now.

Yes!!!! I know that. I've used it many times. However, once Null (or a mic) was engaged, the problem would become evident. Didn't matter the level of proximity effect to recreate problem. The issue obviously had little to do with proximity level.

Perhaps it would have been helpful for you to try the settings I asked for you to arrive at a more helpful answer.

Back
Top Bottom