Firmware 11: Reviews and Wisdom

I will get the II and I'm pretty certain that I will keep my Ultra unless the II makes it sound so bad that I would'nt want it for a backup rig and I kina doubt that. :)
I kept mine as well. Just imagine the fun we'll have porting our favorite II patches back to the Ultra. :lol

I have been running my AXE ULTRA with SS poweramp and guitar cabs. But I was still running my rig with cab sims on, tried turn it off, but never got that great sound with them turned off. But being a newbie I didnt "blame" the AXE, I thought I didnt master all the tweeking yet.
With firmware 11 lots of people were very thrilled and happy with this update and even posted great sounding patches which I downloaded, and still didnt sound that "WOW".
So I thought to myself Fxxk it!! Im downloaded a firmware 11 patch (forgot who created it but god bless his soul and knowledge) and reset my AXE to cab sim off and all gobal settings flat. Tweeked abit of amp level up, fine tuned some amp eq... and OH MY BUDDHA!! This is the shit!!

So now its all good, most of my patches are WAY better than before and the punch and the "stringyness" of the sound is just awesome.

Just a hint if any other person runs guitar cabs with sims still on. Give it a shot, a REAL shot and turn them off, you might find things you never thought was possible.

Rock on!

I run a Engl 840/50 tube poweramp, mesa 1x12 ported speaker cab along with my Ultra. Some patches sound better with cab or power amp sims on and some don't. Bottom line is throw out the rules and experiment with what sounds good to you.

Firmware v11.0 continues to impress! I'm finding the Top Boost has my attention the last couple of days. It sounds fantastic and feels great under my fingers (apt description for every sim I've revisited since the v11.0 update). The Axe-FX is an amazing device! I haven't turned on an amp to play since the Ultra arrived. The only amps I've turned on since its arrival were to test before selling - none will be missed.

I've decided to purchase an Axe-FX II when they become available. Experiencing the improvement v11.0 brought to the Ultra I'm simply too curious about the new sim algorithms to pass up jumping in on the ground floor with the Axe-FX II. I'm not selling the Ultra though.

Just to check - presumably I can go straight from Firmware 9 to 11 ? I haven't done an update for a while but want to try v11. I presume I don't need v10 first and I will still have all my presets afterwards?

Thanks
Gerry

If this upgrade is even half of the qualitative "feel" and sonic improvements in the Axe-Fx II (which I'm sure it's not) I'm going to be a very anxious chap to score a II when it becomes possible. I think I'd be better served upgrading my MidiMate to an MFC-101 at the moment, though.

Mr. Chase, thank you VERY much for throwing the Gen I users a massive bone with this G2 upgrade to the firmware.

It's a trap, anytime your wife tells you to buy something you want, there's something she wants.

words of wisdom here.:)

or the following scenario will ensue:
huband:i don't know hon,that seems awfully expensive.
wife: oh,but it's ok for you to spend $2000 on your guitar stuff?

and then......the game is afoot...and it shall not end until the universe has been restored to balance..

anyway,back on topic.still experimenting with v11.0.there is a much more realistic feel to it.if your playing is off a bit,you will hear it instantly,just like the real deal.when your on,it sounds glorious.started messing around with amp sims i've never tried before.the Hellbeast w 4x12 30w MV cranked up,bass at 11:00,mid treb at noon,bright off,gain between 11 to 12:00.boost on. BALLS OUT RAW!

Last edited:
Personally, I've found it to be a very positive change. Best advice I can offer as far as tweaking existing presets after upgrading is to start by removing all of the high & low filters/cutoffs/EQ. Like others have said, in most cases I've found they're no longer necessary. At the very least they can be dialed way back...

Awesome update. Can't wait to try the II.

I am also very positive about the new fw11, the bass is much clearer and sounds more natural - looking foreward to play it loud this evening :)

It is funny that all this people who thought this was the holy grail, now immidiatly gas for the AXe2 - I am still so impressed by my ultra that I dont care about getting some new ampmodels, effect and better chips . Remember Allan Holdsworth still play the old Yamaha boxes and Scott Henderson uses an old Boss se-70. It is not about having the newest possible technologi but finding and then stick to the stuff that sounds good. And even though Ive had my ultra for more than a year Ive just scrached the surface of its possibilities - a big thanks to Cliff !!

Remember Allan Holdsworth still play the old Yamaha boxes and Scott Henderson uses an old Boss se-70. It is not about having the newest possible technologi but finding and then stick to the stuff that sounds good. And even though Ive had my ultra for more than a year Ive just scrached the surface of its possibilities - a big thanks to Cliff !!

+100 oh yes. Eddie used the crappiest of stuff to create the most bad ass tone in history (one of the most bad ass anyway) and now we are struggling with Zillions of GB and goldplated whatsnot... and try to come close to that ;)

Am I the only one who feel the clean amp "too compressed on the attack"? While the crunch & heavier sounds absolutely rocks, the clean sounds (talk about dumble, supertwin, FAS clean... to name a few) lacks some dinamic on attack when you dig harder, like there was a compressor. I like the rich, creamy sound, but even with master & sag low the compressed feel remain.

Have you tried upping the negative feedback? I forget what it is called on the Axe at the moment. It's just to the right of Depth I think. Anyway, turning that up seems to make things feel more stiff to me.

Have you tried upping the negative feedback?

No: I will give it a try. I don't like too much fbk on cleans, it can give nasty distortion: maybe fv 11 is more forgiving when on the edge of breakup...
It could be also the guitar I use at the moment (simil-LP). I am confident I will obtain top clean with some deep tweaking, but I would like to know if anyone feel this "loose" clean attack.

Back
Top Bottom