Firmware 11: Reviews and Wisdom

+2
I've removed all the tricks I had in place.
This really is a major release. I started using the axefx on v 5.xx- this is the update I've been looking for. Very clean, clear.

I agree fully; I started with V7 and releases 8 -> 10 made things a lot easier to dial in, but V11 is really the one that I've been waiting for as well...this upgrade is really doing it for me. All the amps across the board have a much better sound and feel to them, and amps I didn't ever connect with are on my radar now...

I agree fully; I started with V7 and releases 8 -> 10 made things a lot easier to dial in, but V11 is really the one that I've been waiting for as well...this upgrade is really doing it for me. All the amps across the board have a much better sound and feel to them, and amps I didn't ever connect with are on my radar now...
How about that- I looked back at my old releases and looks like i started in v3.xx.
Anyway, as I recall the previous updates, only one other update was as sonically significant as v.11 (IMO). Cliff has had a few ah-ha moments over the past revisions. This is more than an ah-ha; this is new thinking.a new way of doing things.
I finally feel like I no longer need to tweak- dial it in and play.

I definitely agree with all above. Biggest update yet. Where I am noticing it the most is on the Trainwreck Express sim, which really shouldn't surprise me considering Cliff said himself the tone is ALL in the power amp. The overdriven sounds AMAZING without getting too flubby in the low end, the verge-of-broken-up sounds like what I've been looking for in my head ever since I got rid of my AC30 a year ago. The surprising part was the cleans. I usually do not like my cleans to be totally clean. I've always loved the slightly broken up/gritty cleans and I've always chased that tone. But on v11, the cleans on the Trainwreck is now better than any amp I've ever tried, analog or digital. Very punchy, especially when you turn the volume knob down, but gives way once you dig in.

As a mostly heavy tone guy, it's decent but I use a lot of preamp gain, so it's hardly this huge make or break update for me. Not having to filter or manually dial out the low end boom is VERY nice and being able to dial the MV up a little more on the HG amps without them falling apart is cool, but other than that it is mostly in the subtle improvement across the board category for me and I'm not feeling this whole biggest update ever stuff a lot of people here are going on about. I guess I don't have much problem getting the sound I want most of the time in general and don't lean heavily on the power amp, so I don't feel the need to analyze this FW to death. I also split my time with 50/50 monitor based and a power amp+cab rig, too, which might make a difference.

Last edited:
I am very pleased with the way all 3 of my guitars sound through the same patch now. Before V11, I made separate patches for each guitar. This was a great gift to Ultra owners like me. Thank you Cliff!

I haven't taken the time myself to thank u Cliff ,and my wife thanks you too. She doesn't have to put up with me on my tone quests.I:'ve been leveling the frets on all my guitars so they play clean with lowest action ,Gotta do something ,Pretty anal about that.

Last edited:
Dang! I thought my playing got better!!! So that is why it sounds so much better :lol

Seriously, v11 is an excellent improvement. Thank you Cliff!

Great update. I re-made a bunch of patches without having to use a filter or peq and they sound fantastic! It's also made me way less sour about the axe-fx 2 coming out ;)

I was thinking about fw11 and all this bass-less-muddy character and how until now it was really hard for me to dial presets for my D-tuned guitar. I was never completely satisfied with tone on low tunings so I just used my regular tuned guitars.

So with all this on my mind, I got my D-tuned guitar out of it's case and gave fw11 a try.... my brain is still hanging from the back of my skull, I think my Ultra just blew my mind!!! :)

yea i agree. I tune to drop-A and it sounds the best it's ever sounded. The lowend is way more together and in check

Well I'm in a bit of a conundrum now.

I just got the OK from the old lady to buy an AxeFXII because I've been a very good boy. That's clearly great news. The problem is that I'm kind of on the fence about it. Not because I don't think that it'll be great, its just that every time I think that I have to have it I end up talking myself out of it after playing the Ultra. I just built 4 patches this morning using the JCM800, Soldano and a couple Fenders and it's the easiest that it's been to date and it sounds frickin' amazing. I know that the new firmware is better, but I'm also getting better at it and everything just works perfectly between AxeEdit, Ripwerx, my foot controller and the AxeFX itself.

The only thing that I really wish I had was more user IR slots because I do have a bunch of IR's that I want to use and I'm kind of having to pick and choose or even worse settle in some cases. The 4 extra knobs on the front would be super nice too, but dammit this thing sounds killer.

This asks for reverse psychology.
Tell your wife that you really want the thing. But that on 2nd thought you can't really justify it and that you are hesitating.
She will then tell you to go ahead and buy it, and make you feel good about it.
Done.

Well I'm in a bit of a conundrum now.

I just got the OK from the old lady to buy an AxeFXII because I've been a very good boy. That's clearly great news. The problem is that I'm kind of on the fence about it. Not because I don't think that it'll be great, its just that every time I think that I have to have it I end up talking myself out of it after playing the Ultra. I just built 4 patches this morning using the JCM800, Soldano and a couple Fenders and it's the easiest that it's been to date and it sounds frickin' amazing. I know that the new firmware is better, but I'm also getting better at it and everything just works perfectly between AxeEdit, Ripwerx, my foot controller and the AxeFX itself.

The only thing that I really wish I had was more user IR slots because I do have a bunch of IR's that I want to use and I'm kind of having to pick and choose or even worse settle in some cases. The 4 extra knobs on the front would be super nice too, but dammit this thing sounds killer.

Well I guess we still get a 15 day trial, so if it doesn't knock your socks off at least you haven't sold your Ultra like many seem to have. I will get the II and I'm pretty certain that I will keep my Ultra unless the II makes it sound so bad that I would'nt want it for a backup rig and I kina doubt that. :)

Back
Top Bottom