Firmware 10 issues

Anybody who produces recordings goes through the exact same process with mixing; listening to the mix in all the types of environment where others will listen. However, as what you hear when you play affects how well you play, it's a very important, personal thing. Plus there's world out there of numpties keen to take the piss when your digital thingee doesn't work... Solidarity required guys - especially after all the hype and ludicrous expectation of the last weeks. (But I do think Cliff and team have moved things ahead by a very long way, to which we have to adjust...)

I think WillPeirs has clarified in subsequent posts that he doesn't blame fractal, but I also felt that the OP seemed to be projecting blame where it didn't belong, not to mention the response to Electronpirate comparing the firmware update to someone ruining his guitar. WillPeirs, I think the forum is taking it pretty easy on you for a number of reasons.

1) Read AND BELIEVE the release notes. When they say it's a major update, expect to be retweaking. If you want the exact tone you've got, leave it alone.
2) The analogy rubbed me the wrong way because: you did not pay for any work to be done. Nothing was wrong with what you had. If you lost all your old presets, you are at least complicit. *shitty* is pretty subjective. What you actually received is of greater value - you just have to take a little time to where you can enjoy the added benefits (and a fraction of the time that was put into preparing this FREE upgrade for you, I might add.)

I'll stop the tirade. I legitimately feel bad for you, I know how frustrating situations like this can be. Just be careful with the attitude you project because it may have come off quite wrong.

I will be careful next time with updates now that I know there can be such huge differences (which wasn't the case with the last ones).
I'm not criticizing FA or anyone,they keep giving us new things and I think that's great.But I think the main point of my thread was "recovering what has been lost",which apparently is not possible for me.

I'm actually creating new presets,and it stills sounds good even though I'm using different amps.
To those who think I hate Fractal for what is happening to me : You're wrong ! =D

I dont think youve read my post either.

I made it a point of saying it was a general comment specifically so you would know I wasnt speaking about you.
there are other comments on here other than yours.
So im not going to calm down because im not angry or upset or even talking about you.

I took it personaly because saying "Just do backups" is easy,but when you're being very careful about saving all your presets and,in the end,you realize it was pointeless,it's a bit annoying.
But I understand your comments regarding the other's one.
=)

Exactly same here. Downgraded back to 9.2 and it emptied axe fx. Couldn't get back my presets for love nor money. Low & behold as soon as I re-upgraded to FW 10 they were back

Exactly same here. Downgraded back to 9.2 and it emptied axe fx. Couldn't get back my presets for love nor money. Low & behold as soon as I re-upgraded to FW 10 they were back

You mean you sent your preset backup through MIDI/USB back to the axe-fx after the downgrade and they still didn't show up? Or you just downgraded the firmware?

As far as I can remember, except the effort for having to retweak at an important FW version, FW upgrades always have been an improvement in the long run, even for the most hardest & critical users. I feel like reading the forum after some major ULTRA updates a few years ago. How come so many people engage such updates without taking any consideration just not to do so right before a gig or a major rehearsal or - worse - not having the bright idea to seriously backup all their old stuff (banks, patches, FW, system and AE). Depending on a more or less frequent musical activity, it can take days, weeks or months to have all volume issues and levels cleared out when changing just a real amp, so why expect this to be else for FW versions ? FGS, this is not excel or word nor powerpoint, nor your TVset wireless command. Next friday I exceptionnally gig (and with my extremely low gig activity surely not the moment to risk "my life" and receiving tons of empty bottles, eggs or tomatoes ;-)), so what the heck : I can update afterwards, no sweat !
Keep on rocking !

I backed up FW9 presets into the internal memory of AxeFX. After going back from FW10 to FW9 it was very easy to restore those presets right from the AxeFX.

It appears OP's Firmware 9 presets will not load in the new Axe-Edit. In the release notes for AE it says something like that the firmwares 8 and 9 will never be supported by any AE. So. Even if they load into AE, they will not transfer into a FW 9 Axe-FX.

However, you can send presets, banks and even firmware into the Axe-FX with free utilities as SendSX (Win) or Midi Librarian (Mac). Info in the wiki.

I will be careful next time with updates now that I know there can be such huge differences (which wasn't the case with the last ones).
I'm not criticizing FA or anyone,they keep giving us new things and I think that's great.But I think the main point of my thread was "recovering what has been lost",which apparently is not possible for me.

I'm actually creating new presets,and it stills sounds good even though I'm using different amps.
To those who think I hate Fractal for what is happening to me : You're wrong ! =D

Best of luck, man! Hopefully it doesn't take too long. And on the bright side, I'm sure you'll learn a lot and speed up your tone dialling process in the meanwhile. I know I do when I lose work, as painful as it is...

Not really a fair comparison. I'd think of it more like trying to install a piece of proprietary Windows 3.1 software on a Windows 7 pc. The installer won't work because everything is different. So the files can probably be read, but you can't install the program.

The deal here is that the base that all the presets are built on is different. Cliff made a point of saying that this was a dramatic change.

While I can understand that people are having problems/issues with FW 10, what's the issue with just going back to 9.x? If you don't like it, just stick with what you liked last. This is especially true for people that gig regularly with the Axe. If you want to equate it to the software analogy, you wouldn't upgrade production system software without it going through testing first. In this case, you backup all your stuff if you want to test it - install & test and if you don't like, just roll back. Let everyone else deal with the issues and go through any pain points and report back the findings before you jump into the pool.

....this is the price of upgrading..... Just like having to redo all your Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Photoshop, and audio files when you upgrade ........ ???

What if I like the sound of FW9 and the preset switching time of FW10? I guess I want something I cannot have. :)

Back
Top Bottom