Finally got a good Mu-Tron tone

@GuyJames,
What drive pedal are you using with this preset?

FET Drive with drive at 6 tone 5 volume 5... It's subtle, sounds the same pretty much without it, I was just experimenting, the FF Comp is where it's at though.

There's not a Tone control on the amp block boost ;)
Correct. The question was, what drive pedal. Both FET Boost & FET Preamp have tone knobs...I don't know that the amp block has anything to do with what said...mostly because input boost doesn't feature FET diddly. Better eat your Wheaties, it was unclear to you...:oops:

My apologies if there was a kiwi joke in there somewhere...am just tired and would like to go home...

Last edited:
FET Drive with drive at 6 tone 5 volume 5... It's subtle, sounds the same pretty much without it, I was just experimenting, the FF Comp is where it's at though.
My guess is you're saying Drive: 6 / Tone: 5 / Level: 5? Thanks for the clarification in advance.

My guess is you're saying Drive: 6 / Tone: 5 / Level: 5? Thanks for the clarification in advance.
Correct and to clarify, it's the FET Boost, drive block. But this really isn't a significant ingredient to this Mu-Tron recipe. I'd focus on good compressor settings first.

Correct and to clarify, it's the FET Boost, drive block. But this really isn't a significant ingredient to this Mu-Tron recipe. I'd focus on good compressor settings first.
Ah, that's the ticket. Wasn't sure.

So the Studio FF Comp, ratio: 4; Mix: 75%? Anything else, attack/release-wise?

I find the discussion of compressor settings with the envelope filter interesting. I have often turned off my compressor when using envelope filters. I have found that a compressor can make the triggering of the envelope filter more predictable but can also impact its touch sensitive operation. I guess the trick is to find the sweet spot on the compressor settings where you get reliable triggering of the filter without wiping out its ability to respond differently to a range of string attack and dynamics.

Correct. The question was, what drive pedal. Both FET Boost & FET Preamp have tone knobs...I don't know that the amp block has anything to do with what said...mostly because input boost doesn't feature FET diddly. Better eat your Wheaties, it was unclear to you...:oops:

My apologies if there was a kiwi joke in there somewhere...am just tired and would like to go home...
I thought you meant the Boost in the Amp block.

I understand now that you were clarifying the Drive type.

I find the discussion of compressor settings with the envelope filter interesting. I have often turned off my compressor when using envelope filters. I have found that a compressor can make the triggering of the envelope filter more predictable but can also impact its touch sensitive operation. I guess the trick is to find the sweet spot on the compressor settings where you get reliable triggering of the filter without wiping out its ability to respond differently to a range of string attack and dynamics.
I like the predictablilty and consistent response from it. The auto wah can have spiky highs or weird lows. The comp evens it out.

Haha this is great news! We’re getting a Mutron. That is baddass. You’ll never hear things like this from big companies which are very much impersonal and beyond reach. The complete opposite of a company like FAS and ran by a guy like Cliff. Thank you for dropping that news.

Ooh - cannot wait! I have an original Mu-Tron III in my rack system, and a Micro-Tron IV on my pedalboard. I finally have a pretty great Mu-Tron setting on the FM9T, but am beyond excited to see this officially come to pass!!

This was a very useful thread for me. I'd whipped up a quick auto-wah, but never tuned the input block or envelope settings to this extent. I have a much better preset now, and applied the same ideas to a couple of synth patches and their filters. Great info!

This was a very useful thread for me. I'd whipped up a quick auto-wah, but never tuned the input block or envelope settings to this extent. I have a much better preset now, and applied the same ideas to a couple of synth patches and their filters. Great info!
Glad it helped

thanks, ill try your settings. On My Ax8 my envelope filter is killler...but i still havent dialed in anything i really like on the FM9 for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom