Fender Tone Master Pro....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet it still fits between the adjacent switches at its widest point. You just need to tap the top row switches without your heel planted and with your toe pointed a bit and you're golden.... :)
Yeah, there's definitely a technique to it. The only time it's ever really a problem is with the tap tempo; I've been trying to engineer my way out of this problem - with the Helix, the tap tempo was in the bottom row, all the way on the right, so I didn't have to aim between two switches to use it. But if I assign that switch there with the FM9, I lose (I think) the switch combination that takes me back to the master layout, and I don't want to mess with that.

New modeler issues. I'll get used to it, or figure out a better way.

For a time I assigned the Master Layout as a button on all my FC12 layouts so I could use the bottom right as a momentary control switch, and that did work great for me, but of course that is totally dependant on what you need from each layout.

Yeah, there's definitely a technique to it. The only time it's ever really a problem is with the tap tempo; I've been trying to engineer my way out of this problem - with the Helix, the tap tempo was in the bottom row, all the way on the right, so I didn't have to aim between two switches to use it. But if I assign that switch there with the FM9, I lose (I think) the switch combination that takes me back to the master layout, and I don't want to mess with that.

New modeler issues. I'll get used to it, or figure out a better way.

You can back up your FS Layouts en masse and singly, then juggle the switches around until the tap tempo is in a better spot. The factory layouts aren't some holy relic you can't touch. They're meant to be configurable. You can even wipe 'em out entirely and make layouts that make more sense to you, if so inclined. :)

Cue Journey - any way you want it, that's the way you need it....

You can back up your FS Layouts en masse and singly, then juggle the switches around until the tap tempo is in a better spot. The factory layouts aren't some holy relic you can't touch. They're meant to be configurable. You can even wipe 'em out entirely and make layouts that make more sense to you, if so inclined. :)

Cue Journey - any way you want it, that's the way you need it....
Oh yeah, it's not fear, it's that the switch that I would move the functionality to already does something that I want it to do - that "return to master" functionality makes sense to me, and I want to keep it where it is. And right now I'm familiarizing myself with other aspects that are more important to me to learn, so for now, it'll wait, and I'll tap out my tempos a little more carefully. At some point I'll get around to playing with it to see if I can engineer an acceptable solution.

Oh yeah, it's not fear, it's that the switch that I would move the functionality to already does something that I want it to do - that "return to master" functionality makes sense to me, and I want to keep it where it is. And right now I'm familiarizing myself with other aspects that are more important to me to learn, so for now, it'll wait, and I'll tap out my tempos a little more carefully. At some point I'll get around to playing with it to see if I can engineer an acceptable solution.
Heh...and now you have me looking at it, @Joe Bfstplk ... I'm wondering if I could switch bank down (which I don't really use) with tap tempo, and keep the "return to master" functionality as is. There goes my next couple of hours. :p

...with the Helix, the tap tempo was in the bottom row, all the way on the right, so I didn't have to aim between two switches to use it. But if I assign that switch there with the FM9, I lose (I think) the switch combination that takes me back to the master layout, and I don't want to mess with that.
You won't lose that functionality. Try it and see. ;)

With the gapless preset/scene switching I'm re-thinking my master layout. It's a game changer.

Dude, totally. It could, e.g., make scenes and channels completely unnecessary for some people. I'm thinking scenes and channels could be used more as organizational tools now. I'm still parsing how I want to take advantage of it.

And I'll repeat what I wrote in the main FW thread, that the Axe-FX III gaplessness makes the song and setlist feature something I'd want to use now for the first time.

The whole thing about the gaplessness with Fractal is that it makes me want to go back to Cliff's intention with his organization in the unit. His intention to allow channels for an effect type, and scenes to bypass, engage them, or change channels is all of a sudden a lot more appealing to me when I reassess what's newly possible!

I picked up one of the Tone Master Pro's to try out this past week based on what I was hearing in some of the videos out there, really liked the Fender cleans I was hearing and I am in the market for a smaller form factor. I got it home and within 10 minutes I knew it was going back. It may be a good fit for some but in my opinion it does not even come close to what Fractal has to offer. FM3 here I come!

I also got one of the new Fender FR12 cabinets and it is a keeper. It sounds really good paired with my Axe-FX III, something about it really makes it feel more guitar cab like.

I picked up one of the Tone Master Pro's to try out this past week based on what I was hearing in some of the videos out there, really liked the Fender cleans I was hearing and I am in the market for a smaller form factor. I got it home and within 10 minutes I knew it was going back. It may be a good fit for some but in my opinion it does not even come close to what Fractal has to offer. FM3 here I come!

I also got one of the new Fender FR12 cabinets and it is a keeper. It sounds really good paired with my Axe-FX III, something about it really makes it feel more guitar cab like.
What didn't you like about it/where didn't it measure up?

What didn't you like about it/where didn't it measure up?
I mainly play clean and mild overdrive type sounds, when I tried some of the presets there was a honky midrange frequency that I could hear that I did not like. I started looking at the various sonic options to tweak and realized how limited it is compared to the Fractal stuff. Just in the Fractal amp block, the "Ideal" page lets me pretty much do whatever I need to get the amp sounding great. I guess in the end I have spent way too much time diving under the hood to chase sounds that I already know how to get easily on the Fractal. I did want to like it just because I like the design but in the end the sound was not what I was looking for.

This thing seems to have a lot going for it. The quality of sounds (seems quite good so far), number of effects/amps, and routing options are some of my early questions. The UI looks phenomenal. Gapless preset switching...at first glance it definitely looks like a contender.
its a funny pricpoint as the fm9t has SO much more going for it and so many more years of supporting and updating behind it. I think fender should have had a 1k$ price on it.

Yeah, I'm impressed with what I have heard so far. When I first saw this leak I thought Fender was insane to enter this market with competitors who have been in the game for over a decade now. But honestly, the UI is extremely intuitive, the thing has 8 cores (whatever that means nowadays) and the I/O is really strong. As a singer, having the ability to run a microphone into an XLR input rather than having to use an XLR to TS/TRS is great. Ultimately the difference to me is in the tweakability, quality of effects and amps, and number of amps/effects. I am also always wary of touch screens because if they break/fuck up you are screwed. There is a lot on this unit that could break and it would mean game over. I personally want to experience what the models feel like as well. All modelers sound pretty good these days, but it is the feel and the reaction of the models that sets Fractal apart to me. All that said, I went from being completely uninterested to intrigued based on what I've seen, so kudos to Fender for coming out swinging.
but whats odd is the fractal fm9t has way more fender amps in it then the tmp. I mean the whole 65 fender line the tmp has are really very similar gain structure amps and rather generic.

TBH, my feeling is that it's currently overpriced and is designed to compete with Helix, which provides additional I/Os and connectivity compared to the ToneMaster. The ToneMaster's features place it closer to the HeadRush Prime, though the gapless switching is something other modelers are trying to solve.

You might note that FAS is stepping up with gapless switching, mentioning scene controllers as a way to achieve this. Plz view G66.eu's recent YT videos for additional info.
the guys on TGP and the gear forum are all buying the tmp and raving on it.What i find odd id guys with fm9t are buying it and i wonder why? It has less fender models then the fm9t which is lame for fender and the amount of botique/ac vox and marshal stuff in the fractal makes the tmp look pathetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom