Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

I may just have yours built before the weekend.
giphy.gif

I wonder what it would cost to get one re-covered in Tweed?

I'm not going to do it - I don't even on the FR-12 yet (we're moving this summer, doesn't really make sense to buy one before that). But, it would look cooler.

I wonder what it would cost to get one re-covered in Tweed?

I'm not going to do it - I don't even on the FR-12 yet (we're moving this summer, doesn't really make sense to buy one before that). But, it would look cooler.
Order it to the new house ;)

Received my 10 today. Hisses for sure. I measured a 35dB noise floor with my phone on the floor, about a foot away from the speaker. I know phone dB meters aren't the most accurate. Its a little louder than the hiss my Hedd 07 mk2 studio monitors put off. In that sense it doesn't bother me terribly, because I am sort of used to playing with some hiss.

That said, I still can't wait to receive my v2 :D

Also these things sound awesome indeed! If they do release tweed versions, I might have to snag a 12 next.

so, 12 is on it's way back. 10 is incoming.
mr. smith, you'd better step on the gas with those v2s coming :tearsofjoy:
by the way, how did the satriani thing unfold?
I'm going as fast as I can🤣. It's been a busy few weeks.
I handed the V2 off to Joes tour Manager and enjoyed a great evening of some mighty fine guitar playing. 🙂 wish I could have hugged Joes neck, but the schedule wouldn't allow it, since he was already warming up backstage.

Last edited:
I also received my FR10 yesterday. It also hisses. I haven't taken the chassis out to see if it's been modded at the factory. But I don't really care to take it out of the cabinet to check when I've got a V2 incoming soon. I think that I'm pretty high on the list.

I debated a long time about whether to get the FR10 or FR12. I was concerned that I would lose too much low end with the FR10. But I don't feel like the low end is lacking. I might feel differently after I do a side by side with my EV PXM-12a, but I can already tell that the FR10 is good enough for my needs. All in all, I'm completely satisfied with how the FR10 sounds.

Now all I have to do is be patient as I wait for my pair of V2 preamps.

Happy Jeff Goldblum GIF by Apartments.com

I debated a long time about whether to get the FR10 or FR12. I was concerned that I would lose too much low end with the FR10. But I don't feel like the low end is lacking. I might feel differently after I do a side by side with my EV PXM-12a, but I can already tell that the FR10 is good enough for my needs. All in all, I'm completely satisfied with how the FR10 sounds.

Oh yeah, these things have a pretty wicked amount of low end. I can't imagine wanting more.

I might feel differently after I do a side by side with my EV PXM-12a, but I can already tell that the FR10 is good enough for my needs. All in all, I'm completely satisfied with how the FR10 sounds.
Just enjoy that combo in stereo. That's what I'm doing. It's wonderful.

Happy Jeff Goldblum GIF by Apartments.com
And yesssssssssssssssssss. (Ready to become hiss free.)

Happy Easter everyone (should this be a thing for you)!

While we're on the general topic of upgrading this joyous box of wonder that is the FR-12, has one of you guys been contemplating upgading the installed speaker? Maybe with something like the Celestion F12-X200 or the F12M-150 Triple Cone for example?

The installed woofer seems to be a normal mid / bass PA driver, not a coaxial speaker.
( Here's a gutshot, thanks @jellodog: https://thegearforum.com/threads/fender-tone-master-pro.3286/page-106#post-121253 )

So my guess is, it would be best to only exchange a similar type of speaker, or would you say that the FR-12 could possibly benefit from having a coaxial or "multi cone" speaker installed?

I'd be interested in your guys thoughts, thanks!

Anyways, now back to joyful anticipation of my beautiful, shiny new V2 preamp incoming soon hopefully! :hearteyes:

Happy Easter everyone (should this be a thing for you)!
While we're on the general topic of upgrading this joyous box of wonder that is the FR-12, has one of you guys been contemplating upgading the installed speaker? Maybe with something like the Celestion F12-X200 or the F12M-150 Triple Cone for example?
The installed woofer seems to be a normal mid / bass PA driver, not a coaxial speaker. So my guess is, it would be best to only exchange a similar type of speaker, or would you say that the FR-12 could possibly benefit from having a coaxial or "multi cone" speaker installed?
I'd be interested in your guys thoughts, thanks!

Anyways, now back to joyful anticipation of my beautiful, shiny new V2 preamp incoming soon hopefully! :hearteyes:
Since it already has built in tweeters, I would think it would be a bad idea to just throw a co-ax in there. Unless I guess you disconnected the tweeters? But still, the cab is tuned to the tweeters already...

Would be interesting to see the results. Even just a speaker swap would be interesting to see.

Since it already has built in tweeters, I would think it would be a bad idea to just throw a co-ax in there. Unless I guess you disconnected the tweeters? But still, the cab is tuned to the tweeters already...

Would be interesting to see the results. Even just a speaker swap would be interesting to see.
The cab is tuned to the main driver, not the tweeter.
With some measurements you can reverse engineer what type of driver you could install. But I don’t see why. I found no perceivable coherence issue in the FR 10.

Back
Top Bottom