Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

I can compare the Cubo to the Redsound Elis 8. Elis 8s on 7 is the same approximate volume as the Cubo on around 3.5. Wasn't expecting that... In fact, I initially had the volume on about 2, and thought something had to be wrong with the amp.

The Redsound, um... sound is mellow and smooth. Maybe too smooth, to the point of "are they really FRFR?" There's something really nice about the Elis 8s though. You can tell they are meant to be essentially audiophile speakers. They are also nice and quiet.

This tells me that the Elis 8s will not compare with the Fender FR-10s once I get the V2 preamp installed in them. However, they are really nice in my basement studio.
so the Ellis 8's are more a true reference monitor used for mixing/critical listening would you say? I use my CLR's on poles for AF3 and as mixing monitors even. Eventually I'm sure they'll crap out so I'm always thinking about replacing with smaller traditional nearfields...perhaps like the Ellis 8s. My FR12's easily cover the Af3 now.

Hello everyone.
I have been looking for this amp to buy it here in Spain or at the famous German store we all know for a few days. And the truth is that there is no stock available in well-known trusted stores.
I'm glad I'm a fractal user because I found this forum and I was surprised to read the posts.
To buy a new amplifier just to have to modify it....
Now, I wonder if these stores are waiting for a version of the amp to come out without problems.

so the Ellis 8's are more a true reference monitor used for mixing/critical listening would you say? I use my CLR's on poles for AF3 and as mixing monitors even. Eventually I'm sure they'll crap out so I'm always thinking about replacing with smaller traditional nearfields...perhaps like the Ellis 8s. My FR12's easily cover the Af3 now.
Yes, I would say that's a better application for the Elis 8s. I imagine they could be used as stage monitors in a more intimate setting, but not with a loud drummer. We'll see. I have yet to crank them. They definitely sound excellent. I believe the build quality has to be pretty high-end.

Last edited:
Lucky you
One question non related, what is the green tape on the strings of the les paul for?
To eliminate the very high ringing sound when recording. Those short string lengths ruin a good recording. It was the cheapest way I could think of to deal with it ;).

All done ;). First one took about 30 mins. Second one took about 5 mins lol. Tested for about 20mins. No audible hiss...I had to double check to make sure the amp was still on. They sound fantastic but most importantly they look great ;).

View attachment 141266

View attachment 141265

View attachment 141267
looks like a fun space! nice synth too! do you run the hydrasynth through the FR's at all? if so, how does it sound? I have yet to try running my synths through them. I have all mine going via my CLR's but have been curious to how they'd sound with the FR12's

looks like a fun space! nice synth too! do you run the hydrasynth through the FR's at all? if so, how does it sound? I have yet to try running my synths through them. I have all mine going via my CLR's but have been curious to how they'd sound with the FR12's
It's a bit tight being the bottom half of my bedroom ;). Yes, I run my synth through the FRs and the sound is great, crystal clear. I don't think anyone would be disappointed using these with a synth for most situations and genres. The lows are very good but I'm still planning to get a sub for it.

Question for everyone that has their cabs on the floor. Tilt or no tilt? If you tend to play while standing up most the time...i'mi guessing tilt? if you play mostly playing sitting down...flat on floor? I've always had mine on tilt. I usually sit while playing...but also been playing seated a good 15 ft away. Been experimenting with both positions but obviously you'll hear frequencies different sit/stand and tilt/no tilt. It's interesting to me as I also have the sound coming from my CLR's that are on poles which got me comparing the differences.

I got on the waitlist 15th Feb so can't be long until that little envelope icon has a new message notification - it's more exciting than Christmas 'cos you don't know quite when it's gonna happen, just that it will 😁
You're lucky. March 12... And there are plenty who didn't get on until later. I keep saying it, but I'm 100% positive it will be worth the wait.

I got on the waitlist 15th Feb so can't be long until that little envelope icon has a new message notification - it's more exciting than Christmas 'cos you don't know quite when it's gonna happen, just that it will 😁
Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory GIF
Feb 28th waiting list, waiting...

Question for everyone that has their cabs on the floor. Tilt or no tilt? If you tend to play while standing up most the time...i'mi guessing tilt? if you play mostly playing sitting down...flat on floor? I've always had mine on tilt. I usually sit while playing...but also been playing seated a good 15 ft away. Been experimenting with both positions but obviously you'll hear frequencies different sit/stand and tilt/no tilt. It's interesting to me as I also have the sound coming from my CLR's that are on poles which got me comparing the differences.
I have tilted on small stages and otherwise keep it flat on the ground, to better match my singers tube combo amp that is also always flat.

Back
Top Bottom