Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

Yeah that is the serial range of affected ones.. So I assume anything NOT in that range is V2?
Their half fix helps the hiss, but the V2 completely kills it... Even the $99 standard+ V2 blows it away. From input to output.

Not just the hiss elimination, proper gain staging, the phantom protection, or the new clip light, or even the phase and crossover notch correction.. it just sounds way better with much cleaner headroom and a radical custom eq that is clean and musical and then gets out of the way.

Not bragging. It just is on a whole different level.

Last edited:
The replacement being made and sold by @WKSmith is being called "V2".

I think you're referring to Fender's fix as "V2"...

Not the same thing ;)
Good point. Fender has not named or even publically admitted they have re-worked the preamps by replacing 3 ICs with lower noise ICs. We have given it some nicknames but it has the same PCB and revision date as the original hissy ones that they put out the door.

There is only one V2 board, and Fender hasn't licensed it ( not yet anyway 😉 ) they are way behind the ball on this one.

Last edited:
Please edit your posts people. This interchangeable V2 terminology is going to confuse the heck out of the new guys.

So based on the fact that 99% of this thread refers to @WKSmith s fix as V2, maybe we should call Fenders fix something else…

Like this maybe

Anything not in the range of those Serial numbers provided by Fender, means that the Bandaid fix has been added.

So basically there are 4 tiers of quality

Fender with the Hiss feature

Fender with the Bandaid fix and reduced hiss

Fender with @WKSmith V2 and zero hiss

Fender with @WKSmith V2 gold , zero hiss and better parts

Mine is in the affected serial range. I wonder how this fix works. There's no way they ship the the cab to Fender. Do certified Fender locations just have a stock of replacement preamps, and the tech there will install it for you?

I might try and take mine to the local shop and see what the deal is. I am on the V2 wait-list, but should the unthinkable happen and the v2 fails somehow, having a few backup preamps is not a bad thing.

I'm just starting....completed first step removing screws and knobs but the chassis is stuck in there pretty good. having hard time removing for access. Anyone else notice that as well? normal? I guess just pry it out gently as I can...
edit: i just had to tap down on top of the chassis gently to break it away first. almost like a friction seal as it was quite tight. now its loose. second cab chassis was much easier to remove. I took my sweet time just getting my bearings on the connections and studying the installation manual. this next one will be fast

Here's a pic of the stock board from first cabinet
Also, Mystery solved! I found the hiss source (see pic)

Attachments

• FR12 Stock board.jpg
    941.6 KB · Views: 76
  • FR Hiss.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:
that stock board pic is exactly like my two hissy original ones. I wonder why they aren't in the serial ranges?
Interesting. Also, I want to thank you. I didnt really appreciate just how much went into this board until I installed it. How you designed that from scratch is truly remarkable. I tip my hat to you. I found in the second cab install, I didn't need to remove the 4 screws for the input/output jacks. was able to work around it....and thank god you have led/horn labeled on the aux board! small details like that really help. I just ran the first test. no explosions!!!! zero hiss. none. nada. dead quiet. my preliminary test was oh okay it sounded good before but something intangible I can't put into words its just 'smoother' sounding all around. the indentations/clicks on the pots is a nice touch too! On the second install I didnt' even need to look at the manual. Really straightforward despite at first feeling a bit intimidated and I'm used to doing DIY projects. It's a breeze once you breathe ha!

There will be a market for them from customers getting phantom power board nukes. Putting an XLR in there without protection for phantom power is a willfully ignorant decision.
Cool! I'm on board with that. I really am planning on listing the ones I remove. Doesn't cost me anything other than a little time and minimal effort.

Mine is in the affected serial range. I wonder how this fix works. There's no way they ship the the cab to Fender. Do certified Fender locations just have a stock of replacement preamps, and the tech there will install it for you?

I might try and take mine to the local shop and see what the deal is. I am on the V2 wait-list, but should the unthinkable happen and the v2 fails somehow, having a few backup preamps is not a bad thing.
It seems people have been getting the run around about getting these fixed. There is an earlier post about Sweetwater pushing back and a Friend of mine is trying to get his FR-10 fixed by a Fender repair center and they are asking for a email from Fender support directly addressed to him and his serial number.
Edit: He’s now being told there is a 6 to 8 week wait even after jumping through the hoops

For anyone installing the V2 thought I'd share a tip...well a reminder to screw down the small aux board into pre-existing screw holes. I closed up my cabs yesterday and realized I left it all floating willy nilly in there. The part in the installation manual that states 'you should have three screws left over' cued me to the fact I missed a step. Probably not critical but a small step that can be easy to miss. Also the one lead coming from cab (the horn lead) will seem too short to line up the aux board over the two screw positions...just tilt the chassis inwards / towards cab to create the bit of slack for the wire.

Attachments

• FR aux board.jpg
    FR aux board.jpg
    873.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom